DO letter of rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scarfscarfscarf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did most go about finding a DO to shadow and get a letter of rec from? I'm pretty late in the game discovering that some of my choice schools require a letter from a DO.

Members don't see this ad.

First you need to find one...talk with any MDs, nurses, PAs, or NPs you have worked with and see if they know of any that they could introduce you to...if that doesnt work look for online listings of physicians in you area and look for DO's. Yellowpages works or you can check out this website...http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=findado_main

Call a bunch, politely leave messages with their staff explaining you are premed and would like to spend time with a DO as you are interested in Osteopathy. Some docs dont like people shadowing and some are indifferent so plan on spending time with a few and find one who is very receptive and eager to share with you. Spend as much time with this person as possible and let them get to know you before asking for a letter...get on it though

does anyone know about whether i could use the professor who had an MD/PHD degree to count as both my science faculty letter and physician letter though? i didn't shadow him as a physician though which may be a problem. i just worked in his lab

does anyone know about whether i could use the professor who had an MD/PHD degree to count as both my science faculty letter and physician letter though? i didn't shadow him as a physician though which may be a problem. i just worked in his lab

That's a fairly specific question that is probably going to have to be answered by individual schools, with regards to their LOR policy. If you contact them about this, let us know what they say. :thumbup: