DO Letter of Recommendation Timing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baja2oo2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did any of you ask an extremely busy DO to write you a letter of recommendation? How did you get him/her to just sit down and actually write it and get it sent out?

At the end of next week I have an interview at LECOM-Erie (my first choice school), and they asked me to have all of my supplementary materials in by the time of the interview. As of right now I have everything turned in except for the DO LOR. I shadowed a DO all summer, and I asked him for a letter of recommendation in September. He still has not written it, even though I have written him a letter about it and contacted his office about five times asking about it!

Now, I am quite understanding of why he hasn't really had the chance to write it yet: he recently relocated his office, he devotes a lot of time to the local hospital and his ever-growing number of patients, and he has an large family. But, the fact remains that I need this letter immediately! So, my question is this:

What do you think is the best, least-stalkerish way to get in touch with such a busy man and get him to write the letter ASAP?

Some of my thoughts: I have his cell phone (which he usually uses only for emergencies), his home phone (he screens his calls), or I could always just visit his office. Any other ideas for how to get his attention?

Secondarily, has anyone ever had a successful interview at LECOM-Erie without having everything turned in? What happens if I don't have the LOR by the time of my interview?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any suggestions for getting the letter, although it might be time for an in-person appearance.

However, when I interviewed at Erie probably half the people's files weren't complete. As far as I can figure, some of them must have gotten in. They only give you two weeks notice, and they've got to understand that sometimes things just aren't in. then again, it's med school admissions, so who knows?

Truthfully, I sat there for about 5 minutes while the DO I shadowed dictated the letter. I would just really tell him/her that you really need it. If your DO promised to help then he/she should live up to that promise.

My friend got into LECOM-Erie without a DO LOR. She had average GPA and average MCATs.

Members don't see this ad :)
fitnessexpert said:
My friend got into LECOM-Erie without a DO LOR. She had average GPA and average MCATs.

How could she get in without a letter? I thought it was a requirement on the secondary application? :confused:

I really don't know if an LOL from a DO is required for LECOM but that is what she told me. I will ask her.