1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

DO Letter of Recommendation

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by DrTempoOne, Jul 6, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. DrTempoOne

DrTempoOne

Aug 27, 2016
    Hi all,

Good news, I received 7 secondaries lately but bad news, I think some of them will not accept my DO letter because the DO that I shadowed is my cousin.

Am I pretty much screwed?

Thank you.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

As long as you're up front that the DO was your cousin, you still have a chance.

But this is a teaching moments for SDNers to avoid the nepotism.

4. Coltuna

Coltuna

Nov 2, 2015
    You're not screwed per say. Honesty is the best policy. Some schools don't even require the letter.

5. HopefulDoc91

HopefulDoc91 2+ Year Member

Jun 21, 2015
    I am in a similar situation. I have a LOR from my aunt (DO) and she has a different last name than me. I also have a LOR from a DO I work for. Not all the secondaries ask if you have a relative in osteopathic medicine. Do you think I should reach out to all my schools and let them know she's my aunt? Even though I have the other LOR from the DO I work for?

6. jlward12

jlward12

Feb 14, 2017
    Shadowing your relatives is very smart, but getting a letter from them is not. Their letters can be very biased so that's why schools don't like to see them. If it's possible for you to get another letter then do that. You can be honest, but I don't know if you'll get any love.

7. icamel

icamel 5+ Year Member

Oct 8, 2010
    How would they know it is from your cousin though?