SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

DO letter

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Coolio30, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Coolio30

Coolio30 Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Just curious, how important is this letter in terms of admission. Does this require one to shadow a DO or is it just a letter from a DO that knows me. Also, since I am pressed for time, do you think I can shadow a DO for a day or something like that. Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. rpames

rpames Optometrist 10+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Oshkosh, WI
    A letter from a DO that knows you would be fine, but a shadowing one would be better. If you don't have a DO letter at all, you are bound to be asked in an interview; "If you haven't shadowed or know a DO, what makes you think you want to go into it." Any shadowing would better than none, abviously. A few days would be good, but only one would be suspicious.

Good Luck

4. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

I think it is quite beneficial to have a letter from a DO that really knows you and can attest to your understanding of and desire for an osteopathic education. That said, it is still a good idea to do some shadowing. My school recommended it strongly--I listed my shadowing (who I shadowed and specialties) on my secondary application. They also allowed me to have more than one DO send a letter. This could be a good option to cover your bases: one letter from a DO that knows you well and another from one that you shadowed. Good luck!