1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

DO letter

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Coolio30, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Coolio30

Coolio30 Member
    7+ Year Member

Just curious, how important is this letter in terms of admission. Does this require one to shadow a DO or is it just a letter from a DO that knows me. Also, since I am pressed for time, do you think I can shadow a DO for a day or something like that. Thanks.

2. rpames

rpames Optometrist
    10+ Year Member

Optometrist
    A letter from a DO that knows you would be fine, but a shadowing one would be better. If you don't have a DO letter at all, you are bound to be asked in an interview; "If you haven't shadowed or know a DO, what makes you think you want to go into it." Any shadowing would better than none, abviously. A few days would be good, but only one would be suspicious.

Good Luck

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I think it is quite beneficial to have a letter from a DO that really knows you and can attest to your understanding of and desire for an osteopathic education. That said, it is still a good idea to do some shadowing. My school recommended it strongly--I listed my shadowing (who I shadowed and specialties) on my secondary application. They also allowed me to have more than one DO send a letter. This could be a good option to cover your bases: one letter from a DO that knows you well and another from one that you shadowed. Good luck!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...