DO looking into psychiatry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlep2003

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info about psych residencies requirements? I am assuming that most require USMLE boards. I was wondering if anybody could give me some insight into getting a pysch residency as a DO. I appreciate any insight, good or bad.

Members don't see this ad.

I am no expert but in my opinion it would not be a difficult task to match into a ACGME psychiatry residency right now. There were 80+ positions left unmatched after the NRMP this year. I would not even think you would NEED to take the USMLE to match although it might help with some residency directors who are unfamiliar with the COMLEX. Goog Luck!

Don't you have to take the USMLE to get an allopathic residency as a D.O,?

Members don't see this ad :)
No A-DOG that is incorrect, except for in LA where you need the USMLE to get licensed. But, although you may not need it, if a program is not familiar with how COMLEX is scored, you might have a difficult time without it. But usually your scores are not as important with specialties that are not currently highly competitive. They need students to fill the spots.

Check our site (still under construction) but there is a DO resident at Mayo Psych you can contact. http://www.oneida.org

Threre are at least 10 people from my class that are doing ACGME psych and I know 99% of them did not take the USMLE.

I am doing a ACGME/MD residency in EM and I did not take the USMLE either.

[This message has been edited by RBorhani (edited 05-14-2000).]

I might be attending NYCOM in the fall. I'm pretty sure I want to do a psych. redidency. Four people from the 98' class entered psych. residencies and they were all allopathic slots. If I decide to enter an allopathic residency, would you guys advise me to take the COMLEX exclusively? I figure why subject myself to the agony of taking both exams if all I need is the COMLEX. Thanks for setting me straight on this issue.