Do LORs from math professors count as LORs from science professors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neofight

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although some schools specifically ask for LORs from biology or biochemistry professors, I'm wondering about schools who ask for LORs from science professors. Would anyone know if LORs from math professors count as LORs from science professors? I'm really not sure. Although math is "considered" a physical science, I'm thinking adcoms may not view it as a basic science (eventhough it counts for the science GPA) especially considering math courses don't have labs.

Members don't see this ad.

I think this would definitely count as a science LOR.

Generally they do. You are better off asking the individual school you may be interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
What!!!??? Math is a science!!! j/k....I believe that math recommendations do count as science.:)

Hi,

Yes they do, but still ask the school(s) you're applying to. I had my calc prof write up one and the schools I appied to accepted it. Hope that helps.

psych counts as a social science in AMCAS. do you think it will pass for a science LOR?

I think math would definitely count as a science LOR. I am not sure about psych. Maybe psychobio would.