Do LORs need to be tailored to osteopathic...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babygirl7489

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should the letters of recommendation from my science professors and physician letters be tailored saying "I recommend this person to osteopathic medical school" or can they submit a letter to me for me to send out that just says "i recommend this person for medical school" Do the D.O. schools care? Technically, allopathic and osteopathic schools are both medical schools so I wouldn't see why not, but just thought I ask what everyone elses experience has been?

Also, if I apply to post bac programs would it be ok to submit letters that recommend me for medical school or should these letters also be tailored? (ultimate goal of post bac is to get into medical school of course.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmm I can't say for sure, but I know that at my school, for MD/DO students, science professors just stated "medical school" for each applicant, that way we could send the same letters to both allopathic and osteopathic.

Reactions: 1 user
If your letter writer is a D.O., it certainly doesn't hurt to have them mention that you're interested in osteopathic medicine. If s/he's an M.D., then I wouldn't recommend mentioning osteopathic. The admissions just want to make sure that you're committed to finishing medical school and becoming an alumni they'll be proud of. Obviously, it helps if your letter mentions osteopathic medicine at an osteopathic medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
My committee letter was slight tailored towards DO school. Everything else was just medical school. It's not necessary to be DO tailored, but having a DO letter instead of MD would be a great supplement.

No.

The only lors that need to be specifically DO heavy are from your premed committee and from a DO.

My committee has the option to select which types of schools I am applying to, MD, DO or both. I'm assuming if I select the DO only they'll try to tailor it. That might be useful? I really wanted to apply to a few MD's just to say I tried, but I'm pretty sure the moment (if) I get into a DO school, I'll probably pay the deposit and be done with it.

My DO letter mentioned osteopathic medicine, but the rest of my letters (from MDs, PhDs, etc) were just general. I believe one of the PhDs may have mentioned osteopathic but I'm not sure.