Do many dental schools require you to use Mac?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Toofh, 09.25.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Toofh

Toofh

Pre-Dental
    My PC has been not functioning very well recently, and I want to replace it. However, I am hesitant because I have heard that some dental schools require you to buy a Mac. Are there a lot of dental schools that require you do that or just a few? I don't want to buy a PC, and then buy a new Mac next fall again. If I buy my new PC, I will definitely buy a good enough PC that I can use for at least 4-5 years without major upgrades.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. cacajuate

cacajuate 2+ Year Member

Schools I visited you could have either but students say that school program seemed to function better with macs.

4. sjv

sjv SDN Moderator 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The number of schools that require you to use/buy their computer seems to be declining, most seem to let you choose.

5. syap

syap 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Macs seem like the popular choice however.

6. predentalgirl

predentalgirl 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I think out of 100 kids in my class, 80 have Macs.

7. b-rad12

b-rad12

Pre-Dental
    Get a microsoft surface pro 3. A majority of my class have MacBooks but they always look at me annotating power points with the pen and I know they're kind of jealous.

MasterDental and Digitalangel like this.
  8. syap

syap 2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    My school uses some software that they say doesn't work with a surface pro...I don't know if that is true or not.

9. BrainDent

BrainDent 2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The surface pro will run anything a windows laptop or desktop will run because it is a full windows computer. I've heard people say it won't run apps before; they are talking about the surface RT (the naming scheme microsoft came up with is REALLY obnoxious). Just make sure it's the pro version.

10. b-rad12

b-rad12

Pre-Dental
    I seriously doubt that, but if that's the case a macbook is a good computer that will last. I'm just not the biggest fan of them.

About the ads