Doc 2b

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 19, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey guy's I was reading the rules and regs about the ACGME match. (home in bed sick on Friday, not anything better to do) It says that ACGME programs can accept people outside the match as long as they are not a 4th year at a Allopathic school. I know that this is usually done when matching a prelim or someone from another program. But could this also mean that it is possible for a DO student to match outside of ERAS without breaking the rules.

Boomer

Supreme Sooner Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 1, 1999
In a house
Visit site
Status
Doc 2b said:
Hey guy's I was reading the rules and regs about the ACGME match. (home in bed sick on Friday, not anything better to do) It says that ACGME programs can accept people outside the match as long as they are not a 4th year at a Allopathic school. I know that this is usually done when matching a prelim or someone from another program. But could this also mean that it is possible for a DO student to match outside of ERAS without breaking the rules.
Yes. For now. Some talk was going around about changing this if a combined match ever happened, but don't hold your breath.

I accepted my spot outside of the match before Christmas of my fourth year.

Don't expect this to happen in more competitive specialties (I did IM). But Medicine, FM, Peds, sure, it happens.

docmartin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2001
Los Angeles
Visit site
Status
According to NRMP, DO students and FMGs are considered "independent applicants" and can sign outside the match, not sure about IMGs. Three or four people in my class had the fortune of doing so! But I second the above post, usually happens in NON-competitive specialties. :rolleyes:

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status
Attending Physician
Apparently the NRMP is working on closing that loophole (regardless of the combined match status), so I'm not sure how long the signing-outside-the-match option will exist for us.

A local MD FM residency signed 6 from the class ahead of me outside of the match. They're already recruiting from my class to do the same.