DO Matching Rads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorShaR

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How difficult would you say it would be for a DO to match Rads? Do you think that taking the USMLE is an absolute necessity?

Members don't see this ad.

Plenty of DO students match into radiology but you're already at a disadvantage and I think it would be absolutely necessary to take the USMLE unless there is something stellar in your background that would make you stand out. Of course if you're only going for AOA programs then you wouldn't need the USMLE.

From what I heard from a DO resident on one of my rotations, in your case, I would apply to the DO radiology programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
ktat72, as I remember, your med school is UMKC. The radiology residency program at UMKC, an allopathic program, has many DO staff and DO residents.

http://research.med.umkc.edu/residency/radiology/rstaff.html

So, to answer the original question, do take the USMLE, study hard, do well, and apply to allopathic radiology programs as well as DO programs. Your chances of getting one are just as good as the allopathic students. Aim for a 230-240 on USMLE Step I.

Normalforce

Just wondering what types of interviews DOs are getting this year? What grades/boards/research are necessary? Has anyone gotten an interview with just the COMLEX?

And for those interviewing at osteopathic programs, what COMLEX score?

Molly,
I have received interviews @ 6 very respectable rads residencies so far. I am also interviewing at a few DO prgrams as well.
Stats: Comlex I & II, 99%ile & 96%ile, respectively. Usmle Step I-240/97. Published a couple interesting case reports. Invites include UPitt, U Cinn, Cleve Clinic.

I interviewed at both Cleveland Clinic and U of Cinn a couple of years ago and they both seemed to have a fair number of DO residents. Seems like the state of Ohio was very DO friendly.

thanks. I'm a little worried, because I don't have a 99. Anyone else having any luck?

Someone from last years class matched at henry ford for allo rads. Other folks go DO rads because it is an easier route. Bottom line, kick butt on the USMLE, get some honors, apply to a lot of programs, and you'll have a good shot.

Hey rad_one, have you got anymore interviews? How many rejections have you gotten?

Ten allopathic interviews, two DO programs. About ten rejections from allo residencies.

rad_one

what is you class rank and number of honors. Did you show any interest in radiology during your first 2 years of med school?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
We are not officially given a class rank at our school, but I would have to say in the top 10 out of a class of 108. Honored all but 3 rotations. Yes, I expressed interest in radiology in the first two years. I am a rad tech/CT tech by undergrad training, so I knew I was heading in this direction. Do rotations at the places that you really want to go.

How hard is it to match into radiology coming out of an osteopathic school, say UMDNJ-SOM or PCOM?

It's difficult but possible. I would definitely say take the USMLE and do very well on it (>235-240). You will hear about people matching with COMLEX only, but that is very rare. Especially as radiology gets more and more competitive, I think PD's will be less and less willing to look at applicants with COMLEX only.

If you do well on USMLE and have a strong application (grades, class rank, letters of rec), then you should have a shot at several middle tier programs. Remember, on board scores, the higher the better for getting interviews!

Not to sound like a complete fool/tool, but do those getting out of a DO radiology program have as good prospects as MD radiologists at getting jobs in hospitals or private practice? Also, are they paid the same? sorry about the ignorance:confused:

I would imagine the pay is equivalent. The DO grad comming out of a DO program probably will most likely go to a community hospital, not some giant allopathic teaching institution. Still pulling in major $$ though. Call osteopathic rads programs and politely ask for a list of where their grads are getting jobs. That is the only way to get a definitive answer.

The osteopathic rads programs are extremely comptitive from what I understand. That is why one should also apply to allo rads, to increase the chances of matching (at least in theory). USMLE is a must.

Jobs are a plenty for everyone right now it seems. Lucky bastads.

Do DO's still have to do a transitional year before starting the Rad Residency>??? How long is the Rad residency, I have seen some websites that say 4 years and some that say 6??

Thanks

Radiology residencies are 4 years. DO's must do some sort of transitional year or preliminary medicine year just like everybody else prior to beginning the residency. Fellowships after a residency are typically 1-2 years.

Thanks for the clear up! And by fellowship you mean like sub-specializing w/in radiology, like Nuc Med, Mammo, Interventional etc etc...

Does anyone have any idea which osteopathic rads residencies are solid?

rad_one said:
Radiology residencies are 4 years. DO's must do some sort of transitional year or preliminary medicine year just like everybody else prior to beginning the residency. Fellowships after a residency are typically 1-2 years.

can someone please clarify to me what a "transitional year" of medicine is? also, is it the same as "Traditional Rotating" year? kinda naive on the subject.

thanks!

The "transitional year" is the MD equivalent to the DO traditional rotating internship. These generally involve rotations such as general medicine, medicine subspecialties, surgery, ob, er, etc.

ah, now i see. thanks for the clarification!