Do/mba @ Uhs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cad_15

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if there was anybody from UHS that couls give me more insight about the combined 4 years DO/MBA with Rockhurst University....how heavy? How do you like it? why did you decide on doing it?
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Im going to give you my two cents...and well it doesnt count for much because i myself have not gone through the prgram. but i do have a few friends that have and here is what they have said...great program, one of a kind, if you really need it and want it. They did it becuase they fully intend on having a practice of their own or intend on going into hospital administration. As for the work load, it basically boils down to not having any more summers off...you go full time over the summers, so if you are willing to give up your breaks and you are very interested in hospital administration/running practices, then its a great deal!!!!

how much does it cost?? there is no mba work during the regular school year?? or is there no uhs work during the summer?? do they ever conflict?? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to say that i heard it cost about 22 grand extra...you take one mba class during spring semester your first year, and one mba class during your spring semester second year...and during the summer i dont know how it works around boards and clinicals...there is no doubt that it is a lot of work but as i mentioned if you are truly interested in administration then its a great deal!!

Hi,

I am an MSIII and in the DO/MBA at UHS. Here is the scoop.

It is a challenging program, yet very doable. Rockhurst works well with UHS to make sure that med school comes first. Do not get me wrong, you will work very hard in the MBA program, but it is not near as difficult as med school. Really, it is a totally different way of thinking, which, if you think about it, is nice.

The program is 22K total (includes all fees, books, etc). It is 51 total cr hrs.

I recommend it to anyone. Even if you are not interested in hospital admin./CEO/etc..., you will learn things to better run your practice, hire/retain employees, and the rest.

You will easily earn more than your non MBA counterparts (MD/DO) when you pick a field. The last numbers from the MGMA were that, with all else being equal, a physician with an MBA made about 10% more overall. So if your buddy makes $200,000, all else being equal you'll make $220,000.

Beyond the $$$, you will learn many practical skills that will help you in all facets of medicine. You get the entire spring before COMLEX off from the MBA to study.

Go for it my friends.

Any questions, please email me at [email protected]

Cheers

Normalforce