Do/mba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RollTide22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been looking into the DO/MBA dual degree route for awhile now. One of my main goals is to end up in hospital administration at some point in my medical career. Do y'all think getting an MBA while I'm in medical school is really beneficial and worth the time/money? Time management and studying conflicts aren't issues for me, so I'm not worried about that... My primary concern is if an MBA will truly assist me in rising to leadership roles within the hospital. Any opinions and knowledge is greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Disclaimer: I don't have an MBA and only have enough interest in business to survive and practice (i.e. not screwed over by a hospital, group, etc.)

Have you looked into what the focus of the MBA program is? Do they expose you to hospital administration topics? Or do they focus on how to run your private practice? I would say that it would be a benefit if you gain something from the experience. At this point in the game, it's about gaining knowledge for your future career, not just having extra initials or another degree to put on your CV.

Have you looked into MHA degrees?

If the MBA gets you the experience in administration and you enjoy it, go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: I don't have an MBA and only have enough interest in business to survive and practice (i.e. not screwed over by a hospital, group, etc.)

Have you looked into what the focus of the MBA program is? Do they expose you to hospital administration topics? Or do they focus on how to run your private practice? I would say that it would be a benefit if you gain something from the experience. At this point in the game, it's about gaining knowledge for your future career, not just having extra initials or another degree to put on your CV.

Have you looked into MHA degrees?

If the MBA gets you the experience in administration and you enjoy it, go for it.

I've been looking at the curriculum and it appears that a few of the courses are designed for healthcare/hospital management. The courses are all generally geared toward upper-level management, so I'm hoping that although it isn't completely medically-focused that it will still come in handy later on in my career.

^Pre-med here who also happens to be a certified public accountant. IMO, MBAs are common sense degrees that don't really "show you how to run a business." Once you finish your residency/fellowship, go open your own clinic and you'll learn how to run a business in no time!! Well, it could take you 3-5 years to build up your customer base (patients)....I hope you don't have gigantic loans to pay off!!

One of my best friends works for an insurance company dedicated to screwing physicians out of getting paid and he would be licking his chops at that statement haha. He said most doctors have no idea how to run a business and those with the least amount of business savvy get taken advantage of and crushed financially by the insurance companies.

I am not sure about an MBA, but I am so happy I did my MPH before med school. I feel it gives me so many options besides simply practicing medicine in the future. MPA, MPH, and MBA can basically all be the same depending on the track.

-Star
www.shortwhiteconfessions.com

I am not sure about an MBA, but I am so happy I did my MPH before med school. I feel it gives me so many options besides simply practicing medicine in the future. MPA, MPH, and MBA can basically all be the same depending on the track.

-Star
www.shortwhiteconfessions.com

What kind of options career-wise do you get with a MPH?