Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

DO, MD, neither?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Harry Truman, Jun 18, 2001.

1. Harry Truman

Harry Truman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

:rolleyes: :confused:

I'm looking for some good advice before I meet with my premed advisor. So here's the deal. I was wondering whether I have any chance getting accepted to allopathic schools. What about DO schools? Should I take a year off and retake the MCAT? My GPAs are approx. 3.6 and my MCAT was 7 VR, 11 PS, 8 BS, and a P on writing. Solid extracurrics and letters. Non-science major (Political Science). Two years of research in political science.

Thanks much!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Are you really interested in osteopathic medicine? :cool:

3. Harry Truman

Harry Truman Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

At first, I did have some doubts about whether I was interested in osteopathic medicine. I've realized, though, that if I truly want to practice medicie, it shouldn't matter whether I have a DO or a MD. So yes, at this point I am still interested in allopathic schools, but I am also heavily considering osteopathic ones. Thanks!! :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I suggest you research things about osteopathic medicine such much as you can because no matter what your numbers are, the adcoms will catch you during the interview.... They'll know whether or not you've really considered osteopathic medicine. I hope you are also aware that some schools require a D.O. letter of recommendation.

In any case, your number sounds pretty good and MAY get you in the door for an interview.

Know the difference, read Norman Gevitz for historical background, etc.... You may get a foot in that door, but they may just slam the door right on your foot. :D

Good luck in the application process and I sincerely hope you do consider osteopathic medicine. I'm not sure about how much you really know but if you came across it as something of a "back up" because your MCAT's weren't good, then I say don't bother applying to osteopathic schools.... not worth the time to force yourself into something that you didn't even liked, just forced to like.

5. sanders

sanders New Member

surgeon18,

I was in your shoes about five years ago. I did not know much about osteopathic medicine. All I knew was that it was a little easy to get in. after being rejected by MD schools repeatedly with a 7,8,8, and 3.52GPA w/double major in biology and chemistry. I decided to shadowed a DO, got a masters degree, and retook the MCAT 8,9,10. After all that I applied to both MD and DO schools. I got wait listed and subsequently rejected by both MD programs. But, I got accepted to every DO program I applied too. Today, there is not a day that goes by that I don't thank GOD that I will be an osteopathic physician. I strongly suggest shadowing A DO, you'll need a letter of recommendation from one when you apply and you will get more of a feel for osteopathic medicine. when I was applying I just opened the phone book and starting calling DO's in the area until I found one that would let me shadow them. I highly encourage you to look into osteopathic medicine. It is essential that you read up on osteopathic medicine before you interview or write your personal statement for DO schools. DO schools usually will take a student with a little lower scores if they are enthusiastic about osteopathic medicine. Best of luck.

6. anna

anna Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi. Your biggest hitch is you MCATs. They are on the low side for allopathic schools, but right on the money for osteopathic.

It's up to you. I feel your chances of getting accepted in allopathic are not that great unless you are a URM or have other qualifications (basically, a contact at a school who will "walk" your application or any such type of help). However, assuming your interest in osteopathic medicine is genuine, then you have a shot at a DO school.

If you truely do not feel you will be happy as a DO, then you should prepare for the MCATs again and do not take them again until you are scoring at least 30 or better on your practice exams.

Good luck.
    Ana