DO / MD Residency Merger!!!! OMGGG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this for real?

Wait, that page was dated from Feb 2013. I think they delayed or canceled this.

Feb 2013 written date? Failed merger?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It says updated February 2013.....

It fell apart after that...

This site is old

lol

Guy bumped a 10 y/o thread the other day. Lets hope you future doctors improve on that attention to detail.

I now feel like the kid who thought he got a ps4 for Christmas only to find out the box was just stuff with clothes.............

Reactions: 1 users
8th person posting about the merger that isn't happening in the last two days.

For a split of a second I had to remember that it's two months two early for such jokes.

Members don't see this ad :)
413.gif

Damn

Sent from my SGH-T889V using Tapatalk

Damn forgot this is 2014 and was like oh they updated it this month!

lol

Guy bumped a 10 y/o thread the other day. Lets hope you future doctors improve on that attention to detail.
There's been a plague of necromancy in these lands lately. I blame it on the "similar threads" listings at the bottom of the page, combined with newer users.

Oh. Mah. Lawd.

This is bad for the bottom quartile of D.O. medical students who are now competing for spots with MD students.
This is bad for D.O. programs that cannot get ACGME accreditation for whatever reason. Will they be forced to close?

This is good for explaining to your mom that your post-graduate DO training is equivalent to MD training because it's ACGME accredited.
This might be good for Canadians who want their AOA residency to count in Canada. If it's ACGME accredited you are golden for the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, at least.

Plz correct me if I'm wrong.

This is bad for the bottom quartile of D.O. medical students who are now competing for spots with MD students.

Every DO student regardless of rank will be competing for spots with MD students if the agreement is enforced the way it is written.

Oh. Mah. Lawd.

This is bad for D.O. programs that cannot get ACGME accreditation for whatever reason. Will they be forced to close?

This is good for explaining to your mom that your post-graduate DO training is equivalent to MD training because it's ACGME accredited.
This might be good for Canadians who want their AOA residency to count in Canada. If it's ACGME accredited you are golden for the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, at least.

Lol, yea, I think that's pretty accurate. The merger might not be the best thing for every individual osteopathic student, but it is really the best thing for the osteopathic profession.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh. Mah. Lawd.

I don't think the bottom students had much of a hope into matching to a top specialty and 99.9% of MD can probably find an ACGME spot in primary care.

Oh. Mah. Lawd.

You say bad, I say good. I'm all for increased standards and competition. Maybe some of the bottom of the pool shouldn't be matching.

You say bad, I say good. I'm all for increased standards and competition. Maybe some of the bottom of the pool shouldn't be matching.

The bottom 25% of a DO class might not be idiots who don't deserve to match. This is particularly true if my worst fears come true and everyone gets more competitive to ensure they match. Look, I'm all for natural selection, but not when I'm $250,000 in the hole and 8 years older than my peers from undergrad without a job! The DO degree is worthless without residency.

I really hope that the next step is to appeal to Congress to ensure there are enough residency spots for American medical graduates.

Last edited:
Disagree. If you spend all that money and pass all your boards and graduate you deserve a spot. Period.
I'm just saying, if there is someone more qualified for your spot, they should get it, period. Residencies should provide the best physicians for society, not operate as a protectionist guild bottleneck. If enough people don't match, either some schools should close or the number of residency positions should be increased. I'm all about free market Darwinism.
grumpy-cat-good-1_1512.jpg

I'm just saying, if there is someone more qualified for your spot, they should get it, period. Residencies should provide the best physicians for society, not operate as a protectionist guild bottleneck. If enough people don't match, either some schools should close or the number of residency positions should be increased. I'm all about free market Darwinism.
grumpy-cat-good-1_1512.jpg
if you passed the boards you are qualified to have a residency spot. doesnt by any means guarantee you an orthopedic surgery spot, but it should guarantee you some residency at the very least, even if it is in Podunk, Michigan.

free market darwinism? social darwinism?

Oh. Mah. Lawd.

There are a ton of ACGME family medicine slots that go unfilled. I wouldn't worry about any US grad matching, Especially as the gap between MD and DO shrinks.

Honestly now, what I would love to see is an increase in the quality of rotations for 3rd and 4th year DO Schools.

If I were a DO, I would be cautiously optimistic.

Lots of details not yet released, which would make this deal positive or negative.

if you passed the boards you are qualified to have a residency spot. doesnt by any means guarantee you an orthopedic surgery spot, but it should guarantee you some residency at the very least, even if it is in Podunk, Michigan.

free market darwinism? social darwinism?
It isn't social Darwinism, as it does not rely on social status etc. It's more similar to free market Darwinism, in which those that are the best qualified for a position receive it while those that are lesser qualified are allowed to completely fail. The Darwinian model can be applied to pretty much any system in which success and failure are determined by fitness and merit.

I think insecure pre-DO or DO students should stop complaining about MDs "taking our spots now." If this is the kind of weak confidence you are exhibiting, why did you attempt to go through medical school to begin with?

This is admitting that DOs are at the bottom of the moldy barrel and that DO programs are made of glass. You want to get treated like equals but then you fear that your residencies made of sand are gonna get blown in the wind.

MD students have to put up with DOs and IMGs constantly trying to take their spots and you don't see them complaining and throwing in their towels.

Medical school admissions are getting competitive, residencies are getting competitive, you simply have to deal with it. If you go through med school, wanting to give the minimum thinking that without AOA residencies you won't make it, then you're gonna have a bad time.

Behave like an equal, exhibit confidence like an equal, rock your boards and get competitive like everyone else on this world has to do. You put in the effort and you won't be without a job, I promise.

There are a ton of ACGME family medicine slots that go unfilled. I wouldn't worry about any US grad matching, Especially as the gap between MD and DO shrinks.

There were 61 acgme spots still open after the SOAP last year. Not 61 family med spots. 61 total spots, including preliminary spots.

There were 61 acgme spots still open after the SOAP last year. Not 61 family med spots. 61 total spots, including preliminary spots.

How do you think this will affect DOs cliquesh?

Writing everything in humongous text is totally a sign of confidence.

It isn't social Darwinism, as it does not rely on social status etc. It's more similar to free market Darwinism, in which those that are the best qualified for a position receive it while those that are lesser qualified are allowed to completely fail. The Darwinian model can be applied to pretty much any system in which success and failure are determined by fitness and merit.
And what do you propose we do for those who owe 200k+ in loans and have no job to pay for it. Free market Darwinism works great til we have hundreds if not thousands of people jobless and owing huge debts, going homeless because they had a bad test day on their step 1. The Jedis are gonna feel that one

Will this make DO admissions more competitive? I am talking about medical school.

American grads should get first priority with American residencies.

I think insecure pre-DO or DO students should stop complaining about MDs "taking our spots now." If this is the kind of weak confidence you are exhibiting, why did you attempt to go through medical school to begin with?

This is admitting that DOs are at the bottom of the moldy barrel and that DO programs are made of glass. You want to get treated like equals but then you fear that your residencies made of sand are gonna get blown in the wind.

MD students have to put up with DOs and IMGs constantly trying to take their spots and you don't see them complaining and throwing in their towels.

Medical school admissions are getting competitive, residencies are getting competitive, you simply have to deal with it. If you go through med school, wanting to give the minimum thinking that without AOA residencies you won't make it, then you're gonna have a bad time.

Behave like an equal, exhibit confidence like an equal, rock your boards and get competitive like everyone else on this world has to do. You put in the effort and you won't be without a job, I promise.

idk-what-were-yelling-about.gif

How do you think this will affect DOs cliquesh?

I dont think anything will different in the short term. There may be only one match by the time you apply for residency, which is a good thing. That's about it, though. Current AOA programs will still be run by DOs and they are not all of the sudden going to start taking under qualified MDs over DOs. It is also probably a good thing for you, as someone interested in IM, because you will be eligible for more fellowships positions.

It will not make matching into competitive fields any easier. In fact, I'd imagine that it will be more difficult because some of the current AOA programs will be shut down and there will be an increase in the applicant pool.

I think in the long term it will help improve osteopathic medicine's image, which will ultimately help DOs match into more competitive residencies and specialities, but that will be after your time.

Last edited:
And what do you propose we do for those who
And what do you propose we do for those who owe 200k+ in loans and have no job to pay for it. Free market Darwinism works great til we have hundreds if not thousands of people jobless and owing huge debts, going homeless because they had a bad test day on their step 1. The Jedis are gonna feel that one
The same thing that is currently happening with law school grads and law schools will happen. Less people will apply and schools will eventually have to contract enrollments. Caribbean grads that don't match currently are in the exact situation were talking about and no one really weeps on their behalf.

so what happens to the DO spots that focus on OMM techniques? are MD's now able to apply for those, without CME in OMM?

so what happens to the DO spots that focus on OMM techniques? are MD's now able to apply for those, without CME in OMM?

You should look at Goro's thread. The students that go to MD schools have to have OMM focused training in order to apply for DO spots.

You should look at Goro's thread. The students that go to MD schools have to have OMM focused training in order to apply for DO spots.
Which someone mentioned is hardly enough to call it training.

I agree. We still have to take comlex. They should at least have to take a course on OMM.