Do MDs believe in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gpan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do MDs believe in the concept that human bodies can heal themselves? Or is this concept only believed by DOs?

Disclamer: NO DO vs. MD WAR HERE. TROLLS WILL BE SEVERELY PUNISHED.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a paper cut once. Damn thing healed right up all on its own.

So....yeah, I'm guessing MDs buy into this train of thought.

Do MDs believe in the concept that human bodies can heal themselves? Or is this concept only believed by DOs?

Uh..................................................................

[I'm not done being confused yet]

.....................................................................?

Members don't see this ad :)
Funnily enough, I had a cut on my hand a few weeks ago, and I put a bandaid on it so it wouldn't get infected, then lo and behold a few days later I took the bandaid off...and I was healed! So either I was the recipient of a wondrous miracle or I'm going to go out on a limb and say my body healed itself.

Um, news flash: the body has the capacity to heal itself in many instances. This capacity to heal can be augmented and extended by medication, surgery, or other means. I think you would be hard pressed to find any physician who doesn't acknowledge that.

Keep in mind that the osteopathic tenets you are describing were more defining (relative to allopathic medicine) back in the day (way back to the dark days of medicine), but now that modern medicine is upon us...they are a matter of historical significance.

There is no "osteopathic philosophy." It's been outmoded by modern medicine. The only real defining point between the osteopathic and allopathic medicine is OMM.

There's too many deranged people in here with no common sense... go back to wearing your giant backpack and getting your butt whooped by mosquitos.:thumbup: :laugh:

What kind of ******ed question is that?? :mad: I've known plenty of MD doctors who have flat out told me, "I don't heal people, I help people heal themselves". Doctors put people in positions to heal themselves, that's what they do, especially in emergency medicine.

OP, I suggest you read, "The DO's," by Gevitz. You need to bone up on your history of medicine.

What kind of ******ed question is that?? :mad: I've known plenty of MD doctors who have flat out told me, "I don't heal people, I help people heal themselves". Doctors put people in positions to heal themselves, that's what they do, especially in emergency medicine.
is it a ******ed question? Some people still DO NOT know.

Um, news flash: the body has the capacity to heal itself in many instances. This capacity to heal can be augmented and extended by medication, surgery, or other means. I think you would be hard pressed to find any physician who doesn't acknowledge that.

Keep in mind that the osteopathic tenets you are describing were more defining (relative to allopathic medicine) back in the day (way back to the dark days of medicine), but now that modern medicine is upon us...they are a matter of historical significance.

There is no "osteopathic philosophy." It's been outmoded by modern medicine. The only real defining point between the osteopathic and allopathic medicine is OMM.
thanks for taking my question seriously, unlike some other people who like to jump to conclusions and ASSumptions.

is it a ******ed question? If so, how do you explain LikeClockWork's ignorance? Some people still DO NOT know.

I didn't read it as ignorance, but as sarcasm. Really, OP, no offense, but it is rather standard teachings these days. We all know that the body has the capacity to heal.

Members don't see this ad :)
the reason I asked this question is because only DO schools seem to go out on their way to emphasize that this is THEIR believe. MD schools don't do this. That's why I was wondering.

Both degrees strongly believe in preventative medicine and allowing the body to regulate itself. The major difference is that the osteopathic philosophy directly expresses this even though allopathic "methods" follow the same tenet. The true difference is the use of manipulation to aid the body in self healing.

the reason I asked this question is because only DO schools seem to go out on their way to emphasize that this is THEIR believe. MD schools don't do this. That's why I was wondering.

Essentially that's because it is a foregone conclusion. Of course the body has the capacity to heal itself. That's like saying some group of people is insisting that it is their strong belief that water is wet. That's not to say that the rest of us don't believe that, it's just that we learned that as babies, and then moved on.

The "philosophy" you cite has historical significance, but is not really that meaningful or unique in modern times. I think what you are witnessing are the final gasps of an organization attempting desparately to distinguish itself and to justify it's existance. I mean, it's a good idea to be familiar with osteopathic "philosophy" from a historical standpoint, but I wouldn't take it as in "DO's do this, but MD's don't." You'll need to know it for interviews and essays, but understand that you are essentially citing history. Modern medicine has all but unified the two traditions.

You're thinking of this in way too much of a "whole body" experience to healing. At MD and DO schools, you'll learn how blood clots to stop bleeding, how your immune system works against infection, etc etc. These are all lectures on the subject of "how the body heals itself." What you're thinking of seems to be the mind-body connection and stuff like that, which I doubt DO schools go into detail more than MD schools.

You're thinking of this in way too much of a "whole body" experience to healing. At MD and DO schools, you'll learn how blood clots to stop bleeding, how your immune system works against infection, etc etc. These are all lectures on the subject of "how the body heals itself." What you're thinking of seems to be the mind-body connection and stuff like that, which I doubt DO schools go into detail more than MD schools.

Yes, I agree with you, MrBurns. I can state from personal experience, being an osteopathic medical student, that there is basically no difference in curriculum between MD and DO schools, with the exception of some OMM integrated into the mix, both manipulation and theory. Otherwise, you are looking at completely equivalent education. Maybe the emphasis and the amount of hours spent on particular basic sciences will vary between schools, especially to make room for OMM, but that minute difference isn't significant enough to distinguish the curricula. Therefore, I would say, with confidence, that the education is essentially equivalent.

Rule #10: The delivery of medical care is to do as much nothing as possible

??:barf:

Alright, the OP's question has been sufficiently answered. I think we can move on, don't you? There's no need to exacerbate this.

BTW allopaths can do OMM too, it just isn't taught in medical school.

Both degrees strongly believe in preventative medicine and allowing the body to regulate itself. The major difference is that the osteopathic philosophy directly expresses this even though allopathic "methods" follow the same tenet. The true difference is the use of manipulation to aid the body in self healing.

what part of todays health care is preventive? thats a problem with the medical system as a whole...both MDs and DOs do a piss poor job of advocating this.

I think most MDs like to ignore scientific facts when they are diagnosing and treating people.

Troll