Do Med. school students have time to go grocery shopping?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Justiii

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm only a pre-med student now and I really value my health. I don't eat any processed foods(very minimum, almost non-existent), meats or anything that poses a health threat. I was just wondering if when I get to medical school will I have time to go grocery shopping? Will I have time to cook? Cooking doesn't take too long for me like 20-30 minutes to prepare dinner. But I don't know if I will have that time. So advice from anyone would be amazing. Thank you. Ohh, same for residency! Will I have time then too? Thanks in advance. ^_^

Members don't see this ad.

No. we don't have time to shower either.

sarcasm.

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is med students don't eat. They give you IV nutrition during your 8am lectures, then you're good for the day.

Reactions: 33 users
Meat isn't a health threat.

Reactions: 12 users
No you will become a fatty mcfatpants doctor that eats mcfatdonalds every fatday until you fatting explode. Fat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Meat isn't a health threat.
1. I never liked meat to begin with.
2. All processed meats contain sodium nitrate, a potent cancer causing chemical.
3. Ground beef, most of the time contains pink slime, too much may cause high cholesterol, heart disease, type-2 diabetes, and certain cancers.
4. Chicken has a high risk of causing salmonella and E. Coli. Chickens are fed arsenic, antibiotics. Just bad. lol

Reactions: 1 user
To save time on peeing I plan on catheterizing myself.

Reactions: 6 users
2. All processed meats contain sodium nitrate, a potent cancer causing chemical.
3. Ground beef, most of the time contains pink slime, too much may cause high cholesterol, heart disease, type-2 diabetes, and certain cancers.
4. Chicken has a high risk of causing salmonella and E. Coli. Chickens are fed arsenic, antibiotics. Just bad. lol
+pissed+

Reactions: 17 users
I'm only a pre-med student now and I really value my health. I don't eat any processed foods(very minimum, almost non-existent), meats or anything that poses a health threat. I was just wondering if when I get to medical school will I have time to go grocery shopping? Will I have time to cook? Cooking doesn't take too long for me like 20-30 minutes to prepare dinner. But I don't know if I will have that time. So advice from anyone would be amazing. Thank you. Ohh, same for residency! Will I have time then too? Thanks in advance. ^_^
No you will not have time to go grocery shopping, cook, or eat during medical school or residency. You will die of starvation. Nutrition is through IV. Your job and only job is to study.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"Causing Salmonella or E. coli" lololol. Great medical diagnosis.

Reactions: 12 users
Uhhh....yes?

If you don't, that's a serious problem with time management skills. No part of the four years of med school is close to being that time consuming!

No - when you start med school - you master the ability to generate mass and your stomach will feed itself - no need to buy stuff!

My butler Geoffrey gets all my groceries.

Reactions: 22 users
My butler Geoffrey gets all my groceries.

I got my butler to get me groceries, but all he got were icky salads. Mumbled something about "needing to eat healthy" before I fired his fat butt. Cookies or bust!

Of course you can't eat. There is a reason med school has like a 25% survival rate.

Just curious, what exactly do you eat?

My understanding is med students don't eat. They give you IV nutrition during your 8am lectures, then you're good for the day.

This is how we studied for Step 1.

chinese-students-get-iv-drips-while-studying-for-gaokao-exams-hubei-08.jpg

Check out those IV drips.

Well, yes, you will often be busy and have a schedule with which you won't be able to fit in 2+hr dinners at Michelin starred restaurants. #toughlifebro

At the white coat ceremony you are fitted with a feed bag which gets refilled on Friday afternoons. Seriously, if you don't have time for social life plus time to do normal living activities you are doing something wrong. There are times when med school is intense but not 24/7.

Just curious, what exactly do you eat?

It's not impossible being vegetarian, you know.

I am, by choice.

I don't miss meat at all. Dunno why people always claim they'll miss it because I don't. I thought I was for the longest time, but no.

I'm an M3. I haven't eaten in 3 years.

But seriously, don't let anyone tell you medical school is not hard. I do study extremely hard. BUT not only do I grocery shop, I hang out with my friends, I watch TV, I read books for fun, and I coach little league baseball. Because after medical school is residency. And after residency there is work and family and all the stress that comes with it. If you can't enjoy life now, why are you doing this? If you can't develop the time management skills to go to the grocery store, you may want to find another career. Because you will burn out.

Reactions: 4 users

Kool-aid isn't good for you, but I see you drink a lot of that.

Reactions: 13 users
It's not impossible being vegetarian, you know.

I am, by choice.

I don't miss meat at all. Dunno why people always claim they'll miss it because I don't. I thought I was for the longest time, but no.

meat is delicious

Reactions: 3 users
I can't live without meat!

I think I might be a carnivore :O

Kool-aid isn't good for you, but I see you drink a lot of that.

Surprising how medically illiterate that supposed med students here are.

Not all meat might be bad but evidence suggests that red meat is.

Due to the many studies that have found a link between red meat intake and colorectal cancer,[14][15][16][17][18][19][20][21] the American Institute for Cancer Research and World Cancer Research Fund stated that there is convincing evidence that red meat intake increases the risk for colorectal cancer.[22]

Is that red I see? Sorry for spilling your Cherry Kool-Aid on your red meat.

Evidence suggests that red meat is delicious

Reactions: 6 users
I have a list of things we can and cannot do

Do: Study

Don't: Sleep, have sex, eat, shower, shop, rotate tires, windex, hotdog eating contest

I'm sure I'm missing a few things

1. Valid.
2-4. Not all and cooking it kills salmonella. Not all meat is processed and added with junk.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I'm studying for step 1 and I've managed to find time to do grocery shopping and laundry. I even shower on occasion.
When you have an exam, chores tend to get pushed back but you're on it right after it's over. I always bump into about five classmates at the grocery store after tests

Well I certainly hope medical students have time to go grocery shopping although starving medical students DOES explain the medical students acting like vultures when there is a free lunch.

You know of course Amazon does a grocery store as well? I guess on a technicality you can set up half your grocery list and do automatic shipments with subscribe and save. I wouldn't want to do that with most perishable food though. It's not that I don't trust Amazon but I don't trust the shipment.

You could always genetically modify yourself to perform photosynthesis OP, I know med students who have done that.

Saves you that costly half hour of shopping time and slashes about 10k from your debt, win-win.

You could always genetically modify yourself to perform photosynthesis OP, I know med students who have done that.

Saves you that costly half hour of shopping time and slashes about 10k from your debt, win-win.

Huh. I can't even get enough sunlight to have a decent vitamin d

I am a vegetarian who haaaaates when other vegetarians come off like, well, that.

OP, I understand what you're getting at-- I do. but seriously, you should have maybe given this a second thought before posting it. Yes, med school will be time consuming and busy, but there is time to eat. in any schedule, no matter how hectic, you learn to prioritize and make time for necessary things, which would include meals.

And.... i'm not at this point yet, but, if you're that worried about eating in medical school, i'll just warn you that you're probably only going to get busier, like in residency and things thereafter. so I hope you work something out before you get to that point.

Yes. At least during the first 2 years. Not too sure about 3rd year.

I am a vegetarian who haaaaates when other vegetarians come off like, well, that.

OP, I understand what you're getting at-- I do. but seriously, you should have maybe given this a second thought before posting it. Yes, med school will be time consuming and busy, but there is time to eat. in any schedule, no matter how hectic, you learn to prioritize and make time for necessary things, which would include meals.

And.... i'm not at this point yet, but, if you're that worried about eating in medical school, i'll just warn you that you're probably only going to get busier, like in residency and things thereafter. so I hope you work something out before you get to that point.
+1 for being vegetarian. And yes, ignorant teen-ish vegetarians are obnoxious.

I'm not sure why everyone is being a snide smartass to the OP. Vast majority of med students that I've talked buy cooked or ready-to-eat food for a substantial portion of their diet. I've met some that exclusively buy cooked food , but odds are that they just don't know how to cook anyway.

OP clearly stated that his preference is to avoid processed or cured meats, but for some reason is getting a lot of flak for that perfectly reasonable choice. Generally, fresh meats and vegetables don't last as long as the preserved ones, so you have to cook and buy fresh foodstuffs constantly. This takes a lot of time, contrary to whatever the average premed believes. Anyone here who takes it for granted that you can easily make 3 healthy meals everyday has obviously never had to provide for themselves.

Anyway, I do wonder what happens in 3rd year and onto residency. If you're working a 60-80 hours per week, it can't be easy to cook constantly.

No. You either have to be able to afford a personal shopper/delivery for every meal or pray to God there is a meal's on wheels program in your area that you can defraud into delivering meals for your "grandma". If none of the above are an option, you will likely starve to death. It's a surprisingly common occurrence amongst med students believe it or not.

Slow cooker is all you need.

Bulk up to 600 pounds before med school starts, that way you can survive to MS1 summer.

Wikipedia link redundant links. High consumption is bad, everything in moderation -- except maybe crack etc.

Accumulating epidemiologic evidence indicates that high consumption of redmeat and of processed meat may increase the risk of colorectal cancer. We quantitatively assessed the association between redmeat and processed meatconsumption and the risk of colorectal cancer in a meta-analysis of prospective studies published through March 2006. Random-effects models were used to pool study results and to assess dose-response relationships. We identified 15 prospective studies on redmeat (involving 7,367 cases) and 14 prospective studies on processed meat consumption (7,903 cases). The summary relative risks (RRs) of colorectal cancer for the highest vs. the lowest intake categories were 1.28 (95% confidence interval (CI) = 1.15-1.42) for redmeat and 1.20 (95% CI = 1.11-1.31) for processed meat. The estimated summary RRs were 1.28 (95% CI = 1.18-1.39) for an increase of 120 g/day of redmeat and 1.09 (95% CI = 1.05-1.13) for an increase of 30 g/day of processed meat. Consumption of redmeat and processed meat was positively associated with risk of both colon and rectal cancer, although the association with redmeat appeared to be stronger for rectal cancer. In 3 studies that reported results for subsites in the colon, high consumption of processed meat was associated with an increased risk of distal colon cancer but not of proximal colon cancer. The results of this meta-analysis of prospective studies support the hypothesis that high consumption of redmeat and of processed meat is associated with an increased risk of colorectal cancer.
-- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16991129

In a more isolated Japanese population, high consumption is again tthe key: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24842864
RESULTS:
Six cohort studies and 13 case-control studies were identified. In cohort studies, most investigations found no association between total meat consumption and colon/rectal cancer, and several studies showed a weak-to-moderate positive association of red meat and processed meat consumption with colon/rectal cancer. The majority of case-control studies showed no association between total meat consumption and colon and rectal cancer; however, several ones reported a weak-to-strong positive association of red and processed consumption with colon and rectal cancer. In meta-analysis, the summary relative risks (95% confidence interval) for the highest versus lowest categories of red meat consumption were 1.16 (1.001-1.34) and 1.21 (1.03-1.43) for colorectal and colon cancer, respectively, and those for processed meat consumption were 1.17 (1.02-1.35) and 1.23 (1.03-1.47) for colorectal and colon cancer, respectively. Poultry consumption was associated with lower risk of rectal cancer; summary relative risk (95% confidence interval) was 0.80 (0.67-0.96).

Primary sources are awesome.

Wikipedia link redundant links. High consumption is bad, everything in moderation -- except maybe crack etc.

Suffice it to say that 30 grams of meat isn't moderate by most standards. Or even 120 grams a day. How many chicken nuggets do you eat at once? With your hamburger?

Last edited: