Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Do med schools care about ACT scores?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jbone, Nov 20, 2005.

1. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know that VCU made me report my ACT score but do they really care?? I took the damn test 12 years ago and I hope my average/low score doesn't affect my chances at a good school. Do they care??? Do they check and confirm what you reported??? :eek: :eek: :eek: I reported the right score but am wondering if they will specifically look for it. That would suck to do well in college, well on the MCAT, and have a great application only to be smacked down by something you did over 12 years ago. Just paranoid?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kifwalu

Kifwalu -El Geezer

Pre-Medical
    ...Be afraid... anything less than a 34 automatically disqualifies you.

Seriously.

No, I really am serious.

Anyway... I heard that it's the FIRST thing they look at and counts for at least 90% of your final score.

...Dude, (coming from no experience and secretly a little concerned about this myself) get a good MCAT score and they'll forget all about it.

4. jbone

jbone Herro!
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    No, I've taken the MCAT already and have had multiple interviews etc. but was wondering if some schools would reject me based on my ancient ACT score. Thanks for the input. :)

5. YES!

I doubt that they really would reject anyone because of a low test score many, many years ago! Now even the SAT is evolving... the new perfect score is 2400! (My niece snickered when I told her my score. But then quickly shut up when I told her it was X/1600 LOL)

Worry about the MCAT and your GPA and I think you'll do fine. Chill, my friend. :thumbup:

6. dajimmers

dajimmers Hedgehog!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I forgot that I had to, or at least had the option, of including ACT/SAT scores in a secondary or two. None have tried to confirm my scores (unless they can do this without my consent).

I wonder if they're truly just asking for it in part of a research study they're doing, and not for the admissions decision-making process at all.

7. OSUdoc08

OSUdoc08 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Medical Student
    No, they don't. I wouldn't lie about it though.

8. Pose

Pose Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How bad did you score, exactly? Not that it matters, I'm just curious.

9. ahumdinger

ahumdinger Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

yeah, i think it's just for research purposes. That's probably where we get all the studies about what scores correlates with med school admissions and such.

10. kalenakai

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i know that washu asks for SAT and ACT scores too. just interviewed there last monday. there must not be a cutoff for them 'cause i sure as hell didn't have great scores back then, lol.

11. osli

osli Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Some schools care, in that it is part of the overall picture they look at. It is an indicator of standardized test taking ability, and since there are an abundance of those in the form of boards and subject exams, it is certainly something they care about. If you did fine on the MCAT, I doubt they will care much at all. Some schools probably don't even ask or bother to look it up. But for those that do, it might matter if you didn't do so well and it took you six tries to do well on the MCAT. They might give you marks for effort and persistence, but wonder if you'll do well on exams and boards.

12. {:(

{:( Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    What was everyones scores? I got a 1250 composite on the SAT (the proctor didn't give a five minute warning on one of the sections so I lost like three pages of answers, still go into university though).