1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Do med schools care about your first year courses?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by e_schmidt86, Jul 21, 2006.

1. e_schmidt86

e_schmidt86 New Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I went into 1st year commerce at UBC, wanting to become an accountant like my mom. Then I found the subject extremely dry and boring. I lost all interest and my grades suffered as a result. I had a few B's and one C.

Is this going to affect entry into med school???

Thanks in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. the negative 1

the negative 1 Bovie to "war crimes" please
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A few Bs and Cs during your first year are really no biggie, assuming you got your act together for the remainder of college. Medical schools want to see consistently strong performance, or at least an upward trend if you had a so-so or poor semester.

In my case, I flunked an entire semester during sophomore year after failing to obtain a medical leave of absence for a debilitating illness. Thankfully though, my otherwise excellent performance in all other semesters buffered my GPA from a serious hit.

4. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Med schools care about everything, but this is something you can get past. The nice thing is you are almost guaranteed to show improvement. Get a string of mostly A's from here on out and all will be forgotten.