Do med schools care about your first year courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

e_schmidt86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went into 1st year commerce at UBC, wanting to become an accountant like my mom. Then I found the subject extremely dry and boring. I lost all interest and my grades suffered as a result. I had a few B's and one C.

Is this going to affect entry into med school???

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

A few Bs and Cs during your first year are really no biggie, assuming you got your act together for the remainder of college. Medical schools want to see consistently strong performance, or at least an upward trend if you had a so-so or poor semester.

In my case, I flunked an entire semester during sophomore year after failing to obtain a medical leave of absence for a debilitating illness. Thankfully though, my otherwise excellent performance in all other semesters buffered my GPA from a serious hit.

e_schmidt86 said:
I went into 1st year commerce at UBC, wanting to become an accountant like my mom. Then I found the subject extremely dry and boring. I lost all interest and my grades suffered as a result. I had a few B's and one C.

Is this going to affect entry into med school???

Thanks in advance.

Med schools care about everything, but this is something you can get past. The nice thing is you are almost guaranteed to show improvement. Get a string of mostly A's from here on out and all will be forgotten.