Do med schools care where you live during undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NorthernDO

3rdGen
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do med schools care where you live during undergrad? I'm asking this because I lived at home with my parents during college and commuted to school to save some money. I'm just curious if DO or Med schools really care much about where you live during undergrad?

For me personally I think it was a hindrance to schooling. A lot of people may think people who lived at home during college had their parents take of everything for them (bills, cook, clean, etc.). However this is not true in my case. My mom works a lot and my dad and my siblings are pretty lazy. My parents are borderline hoarders (moving furniture all the time). They also blasts TVs very loudly (not a great study environment). So no, the typical things people think about when a kid lives at home during college were not given to me (bills, cook, clean, etc.). Not trying to complain, just putting my perspective in.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't understand how anyone would care? I have never heard of anyone asking on an interview "do you live with your mom?"

Not sure how this would even come up to schools...? Do you plan to put this on your application or something? Schools don't care about this type of stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
"DO or Med schools"

DO schools are med schools. Anyway, who the hell would care where you lived? Did you get good grades? A good MCAT score? Good ECs? Oh, but you lived with your parents? You're out!

As long as you meet the requirements everyone else has to meet, you're going to be just fine. That's probably one of the most random concerns I've heard in a while though.

"They also blasts TVs very loudly (not a great study environment)."

I don't know how far along you are in your undergrad, but is it bringing down your grades? Have you ever considered studying at a library or coffee shop where you can get away from your distractions?

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't figure they would actually care, but wanted to see if it ever got brought up in anyone's interview. My undergrad is done, it did somewhat negatively impact my grades during one semester, but there were other things going on as well. After that I did study more at school (library, office). Now I'm graduated and studying for my MCAT which I usually study for at my girlfriend's apartment which is much quieter.

We don't care.

Do med schools care where you live during undergrad? I'm asking this because I lived at home with my parents during college and commuted to school to save some money. I'm just curious if DO or Med schools really care much about where you live during undergrad?

For me personally I think it was a hindrance to schooling. A lot of people may think people who lived at home during college had their parents take of everything for them (bills, cook, clean, etc.). However this is not true in my case. My mom works a lot and my dad and my siblings are pretty lazy. My parents are borderline hoarders (moving furniture all the time). They also blasts TVs very loudly (not a great study environment). So no, the typical things people think about when a kid lives at home during college were not given to me (bills, cook, clean, etc.). Not trying to complain, just putting my perspective in.

Thanks

med school only give acceptance to those kids who live in their mamas basement. Rest of the kids are rejected straight off the bat.

med school only give acceptance to those kids who live in their mamas basement. Rest of the kids are rejected straight off the bat.
plz no trolling. this may be a trivial question to you but some questions like this just pop up in applicants' heads. if you can't help, just let others do it.

Reactions: 1 user
I myself used to drive/take the train home ALMOST every weekend to put some time in at the family business and served as a little "retreat" from hectic university stress.