Do med schools distinguish between Biochemistry with Lab and Biochemistry without Lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to my downward GPA trend, my premed adviser suggested that I take Biochemistry over the summer to prove that I can do well in a science course.

I am currently working 50+ hours a week and I have 2 options for where I can take Biochem. One school's biochem has a lab section as well so it would be two 3.5 hour lectures + one 4 hour lab per week. The other school's biochem has no lab section so it's just two 3.5 hour lectures per week.

I am pretty confident I can do well on the no lab Biochem but do med schools distinguish between the two? The only reason I don't want to take the section with lab is because I'm not sure I'll have the energy to do well after working 9+ hours and going to a 4 hour lab.

Members don't see this ad.

Check out the requirements page of medical schools you are interested in. Most of the time, lab is not required for biochem provided you have lab for orgo, chem, and bio already. EDIT: I've never seen biochem lab required.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty damn certain that no medical school in the country requires/will require biochemistry lab.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just noticed this in passing, but you can easily find this in MSAR for the list of schools you're interested in. Apparently Rosalind Franklin DOES require biochem w/ Lab. Or pretty much all the science prereqs with labs. But like the previous repliers mentioned, the vast majority of schools do not require biochem lab.

No

Due to my downward GPA trend, my premed adviser suggested that I take Biochemistry over the summer to prove that I can do well in a science course.

I am currently working 50+ hours a week and I have 2 options for where I can take Biochem. One school's biochem has a lab section as well so it would be two 3.5 hour lectures + one 4 hour lab per week. The other school's biochem has no lab section so it's just two 3.5 hour lectures per week.

I am pretty confident I can do well on the no lab Biochem but do med schools distinguish between the two? The only reason I don't want to take the section with lab is because I'm not sure I'll have the energy to do well after working 9+ hours and going to a 4 hour lab.

I just noticed this in passing, but you can easily find this in MSAR for the list of schools you're interested in. Apparently Rosalind Franklin DOES require biochem w/ Lab. Or pretty much all the science prereqs with labs. But like the previous repliers mentioned, the vast majority of schools do not require biochem lab.

Lol. That's one way to nuke your applicant pool.