1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Do med schools ever make mistakes?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by gobears, Oct 27, 2001.

1. gobears

gobears Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dang, I just got rejected at Pritzker. I don't mean to sound cocky or anything, but this really caught me by surprise. I have a 3.8 GPA and a 37 on my MCATs. I'm also from Chicago! I didn't even get an interview!

I met one guy at my Columbia interview who told me he got rejected from Stanford, but when he called to ask them why, they said they made a mistake and then sent him a secondary.

Anyone else hear of stories like this? I wonder if I should call and find out why I got rejected. Part of me feels like just swallowing my pride and accepting this. I feel terrible. This is my first rejection.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MorningLight2100

MorningLight2100 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm so very sorry to hear this gobears, this is frustrating news!

You may want to go ahead and call. Worst case scenario: the letter is valid, but you can use what you learn from the conversation to your benefit by being aware of the details during your future interviews!

Again, I'm very sorry...but please do not become discouraged, this is such a crazy process...you can never tell.

4. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't know how you would approach calling and asking them. I mean, so that you get an answer. I think lot of ppl are having trouble at pritxker. I don't think they'll tell you, though, if you were to ask. they reject so many people. but, i think you should ask, just find out who/how you ask so you get an answer. MCAT and GPA say a lot, but not everything.
    Sorry about the rejection. DO ask. If nothing else, you can learn what the school thinks bad of you, and it'll help for future schools.

Just a story. My bro is transferring to UC berk (undergrad). It's the only school he's applied too. We've talked with admission dean, and they have absolutely no doubt he will be accepted. I think he was close to the cutoff that with t hat GPA you get automatic admission. But he got rejected.

Turns out there was some computer error that caused innapropriate automatic rejection for him and MANY others. Well, we knew talked to admission ppl and got him in.

anyway... that's undergrad... your post just reminded me of that.

Don't need to feel bad about it! With those stats you may just get another school as good, or better! Or you may call them and find you got in!
    You have nothing to loose, ask them!

Good Luck
    Sonya

5. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i have to agree: there is no tactful way that you could ask them this without coming across as a major whiner. how would you call them up and say, i was rejected but i'm wondering if you made a mistake??? a lot of people have been rejected by them in the past few days. admissions is a lot more personalized at pritzker and they don't use any computer programs like in sonya's situation--someone posted on another thread that they reject based on essays and rec letters early on, NOT numbers. i didn't apply to stanford but from what i understand about their admissions process, they DO use some kind of objective process to screen out their initial applicants by GPA/MCAT, so there's room for a computer mistake there.

don't take this the wrong way, but numbers AREN'T everything in this process--your stats are great, but you won't get interviews at every school you apply to. that's just the reality of applying to med school--every school is looking for a different kind of applicant. and pritzker doesn't really give any preference to IL residents--there may be a little, but it won't really make a big difference.

6. catcher22

catcher22 Member
    7+ Year Member

gobears,
    Sorry to hear about the rejection, too.
    I actually got that initial rejection from Stanford too, then they said it was a mistake - haven't heard from them since.
    So I guess mistakes are possible, but like MorningLight said you don't have much to lose in calling and asking about reasons for rejection. I think you can do it tactfully, and you really have nothing to lose - so go for it!

7. Future GI Guy

Future GI Guy Hoo Hoo....
    7+ Year Member

I don't completely agree.

Numbers may not be EVERYTHING, but they come close.

It's the goal of all medical schools to improve their ranking.

You'll notice that the top medical schools in the country have some pretty awesome averages (MCAT and GPA).

There's a trend there, and if a medical school accepts more people like gobears, they can raise their averages, and maybe, over time, improve their ranking.

I also think there is a tactful way of asking why they rejected you.

Call and say, "I'd like to know what I can do to better myself as a candidate."

That's like saying, "Why in the world did you reject me."

I did not have the numbers that "gobears" has, and I got in largely because of my glowing personality (read: sarcasm). I think the interview does matter, though, and it is an important factor when two people have largely the same numerical qualifications.

8. HairlessHeart

HairlessHeart Member
    7+ Year Member

I've heard stories from an associate dean of admissions about mistakes. In some instances the wrong (horribly, horribly wrong)scores were sent by AMCAS. You should at the very least try to call them and inquire as to why they rejected you. You should have at least gotten a secondary.

9. Sarena

Sarena Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree with the other posters. CALL them and tactfully ask why you were not even granted an interview. If you are anything like me, it will bug you until you know why the rejection. Good luck. With your stats you are sure to get in somewhere.

10. gobears

gobears Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

WOAH! What's this about AMCAS sending the wrong scores??? What are we paying them for??!!! I can understand them getting bogged down and delayed by the network, but now they're sending out the wrong scores? Do med schools know about this?

11. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

come on, if that were really true 100% of the time, med schools would be full of 4.0/40+ people. they'd have no trouble filling their classes with applicants like this. i'll repeat what i said before: different med schools look for different things.

what irks me about your post, gobears, is that you seem to imply that they are obligated to interview you because of your stats--that you somehow deserve an interview--and that a mistake *must* have been made for them to decide not to grant you one. they've rejected plenty of other people on this board with great stats so you're not the first one. if it's true that they emphasize their essays very heavily and they make their first cuts off that, then that would account for people with high stats getting rejections. this may include you. look, chances are, you're not going to interview at every school you apply to--it just doesn't work that way. if there's one thing to know about this process, it's that it doesn't work the way you'd expect it to. it's very difficult to get an interview at pritzker, and i know students there who were obviously qualified enough to be admitted yet were never interviewed at quite a few schools they applied to. pritzker is looking for a certain type of applicant, and if they don't feel that you're it, then you do indeed have to 'swallow your pride' and get over it. rejections will happen, and it doesn't necessarily mean that you're not a qualified applicant on paper! there's a reason why this process is considered such a crapshoot.

you can call and ask 'how to better yourself as a candidate', but unless that's the only school you're applying to and they know this, i doubt they're going to tell you why you were rejected until this admissions cycle is over, and maybe not even then--not all schools are willing to do this. they're going to know that you have other schools still out there where you may have a shot.

i don't mean to sound harsh, but nobody owes you anything in this process and frankly i don't see how you can actually believe that because you didn't get an interview, a mistake was made! come on!

12. The Fly

The Fly Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I didn't quite score a 37 (34T), but I also have a GPA in the high 3.8s and was rejected less than a week ago from Pritzker without so much as an interview. Just as a note, I just had my seventh interview, so it would be hard to conclude that this was a #'s error or anything like that.

Interestingly, I did receive a interview request from Northwestern, which interviews the lowest percentage of any school I applied to (somewhere less than 5%). Go figure. . .

13. HairlessHeart

HairlessHeart Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes it's true, but this is only a very isolated, yet appalling incident. I didn't mean to freak you out. If you've gotten other secondaries/interviews, chances are they didn't fark that part up. Some other mistake may have happened. Call and ask them what would make you a better candidate. It will at the very least make a good story, becuase I'm sure you'll find success somewhere else that may be better suited for you anyway.

14. 8675309

8675309 Member
    10+ Year Member

What could it POSSIBLY hurt for you to call?
    Nothing, you've already been "rejected". What are they going to do rereject you?

sandflea>>> CHILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just because you obviously don't have as high credentials as gobears there is no reason to be so uptight.

Do you really think that of the thousands of applications that Pritzker reviews that there isn't the SLIGHTEST chance that they made a mistake? HAAAAAA

Medical schools are not perfect and there admissions offices are even less so.

15. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Med schools could NOT completely fill their schools with 40/4.0 people. They couldn't fill their classes with 37+ people! It just isn't possible. Call them and find out what happened. But remember that schools have no desire to accept people they know won't attend.

16. praying4MD

praying4MD 2K Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    8675309: If this is in your signature, "People who know little are usually great talkers, while
    those who know much say little." - Jean Jacques Rousseau

then why the hell is your signature so looong?! :)

17. 8675309

8675309 Member
    10+ Year Member

They're quotes, not my words.

praying4MD:

18. Jalby

Jalby I fight crime at day when Batman are sleeping.
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Might I say I absolutely love your handle (8675309) I read in Maxim you can get them to play at your party for 25,000$

19. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

low blow, buddy. you have no idea what my credentials are.

look, i'm not here to start a fight. but once you start assuming that your high stats should guarantee you an interview, that's when you start to set yourself up for disappointment. not every school is out to fill their classes up solely with people with high stats, and in turn, high stats aren't necessarily a guarantee of anything at every med school in this country. my point about the 4.0/40+ applicants was that there are enough applicants with high numbers (NOT necessarily 4.0/40+ people--i just listed those numbers as an example of high stats) that schools could fill their classes solely with people like this. but do they, across the board? no they don't. so obviously something else comes into play besides numbers.

it's too bad that i've become the bad guy here because i'm willing to accept that a school might not feel that every applicant is a perfect fit for their school. rejections happen! you're in a very small minority if you manage to be accepted to every school you apply to. there is NO rhyme or reason to this process as a whole--GG16's experiences exemplify this. sure, you can call pritzker if you want, gobears, but what exactly are you going to say to them??? 'i think you made a mistake in rejecting me, because my numbers are clearly superior'? if you can figure out what to say to them that won't make you look like a whining jackass, then more power to you, my friend.

geez, people!

20. gobears

gobears Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Keep your pants on, sandflea. I made the initial post and I made the remark about wrong amcas scores. NOT ONCE did I say ANYTHING about your scores, so leave me out of this.

If you're going to get mad, get mad at the person who criticized your scores. You've clearly got some sort of misplaced anger or frustration here.

21. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

uh, that's who that comment WAS directed toward. that's why i quoted him/her.

i'm not angry about anything here, because it's not my rejection we're talking about. i'm just trying to present the other side to the issue of you calling. that's all. no misplaced anger. no frustration. i hold zero bitterness toward pritzker. but if i'm attacked, i'm going to defend myself.

22. Jalby

10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Don't we have better things to do than fight with each other on a saterday night? Actually, I don't. So in that case, flea, I heard bear say your mother wears army boots. (I'm a little bored. OK, extremly. I'm hitting refresh every 2 minutes hoping sleep will come to me)

23. Maple

7+ Year Member

Wow..nitey-nite for you already Josh!?!? It's only 10 pm!!!!

Well..if you must..try a cup of warm milk..That normally does the trick for me! :)

24. moo

moo 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I too was rejected by Pritzker. I have good stats, much like gobbers here but I'm getting over my rejection. I have come to realize that yes different schools look for different things. You have your primary care schools like Howard and Meharry and Vermont... if you are an academic nut who has no desire to work in underserved areas you probably shouldn't apply to these schools... other schools like Harvard, Wash U and JHU are of course your major research schools... still there are other schools like Stanford and Chicago with a serendipitous mixture of each... no one candidate encompasses all these qualities: to practice in an underserved area AND be interested in (basic science) research AND have all these other qualities every school is looking for... Numbers aren't everything, neither are extracurricular activities... it's your whole package and what each school is looking for that matters.

25. Ditwee

Ditwee Member
    7+ Year Member

From personal experience I can tell you that the bastards at AMCAS sent all of my schools a verbal score of 8....when I actually received an 11. GRRRRRR! :mad:

26. Ditwee

Ditwee Member
    7+ Year Member

From personal experience I can tell you that the bastards at AMCAS sent all of my schools a verbal score of 8....when I actually received an 11. GRRRRRR! :mad:

27. gooloogooloo

gooloogooloo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i am deeply confused. What is a score of 37? I thought the possible top score of MCAT is 36! (12 each.) How in the world can someone gets a 37?

thanks

28. Mage

Mage Member
    7+ Year Member

Crap, how did you find this out? I too have an 11 verbal, coincidentally, and so I'm wondering if they'll make (or have made) the same mistake with me.

29. Mage

Mage Member
    7+ Year Member

The top score is 45. 15 per section.
    Don't think amyone's ever been able to get a 45, though.

30. pre-hawkdoc

pre-hawkdoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

RE: Pritzker rejections:
    My friend got rejected (sorry, her "application is no longer being considered for admission") by Pritzker w/o interview. Her stats? 4.1+/36R, highly competitive program at a big ten university.

31. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

just a comment on how important grades are.

I was doing an analysis of admission stats for WashU pre-med office. Above approx 3.6 GPA (for students entering medschool from WashU). The percentage admissions received increased bassically linearly with GPA.

But, there are 3.0 students who got admission, and 4.0s who received none.

I am just stating facts. I've interpreted from this, I'm gonna try as hard as I can to get as close to 4.0 as poss.... but i still have significant extracurriculars. maybe not splendid... but quite reasonable

32. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.
    10+ Year Member

Prizker (U of Chicago) is indeed becoming essay-driven this admission cycle, by circumstance.

At the beginning of the interview day, the associate dean of admissions gave us a colorful history of the uni, school, and neighborhood of Hyde Park. At the end, he showed us the unverified apps that they have received from AMCAS and asked us to peruse through them to make sure there weren't any MAJOR mistakes like wrong MCAT or entire semesters missing, etc. Because they have yet to receieve a 'proper verified transmission' from AMCAS, they are inviting/rejecting solely based on essays,reccomendations, and extra curriculars. He stated that this was something they had been considering for some time but 'never had the courage to do so until circumstances forced them to.' They are actually very pleased with the results thus far and are considering making it a habit.

Sorta interesting that schools which claim to seek well-rounded students interview before secondaries are even sent out while those that do not widely boast such attributes actually do so...

anyone else who interviewed at Pritzker (which is going to be hard to top in my book) please feel free to add.

33. csgirl

csgirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Gobears: CALL THEM! Like the other guy said... what's the worse they can do? reject you again?

sandflea: Numbers aren't everything... but they do count for a lot! VERY FEW people get a 35+. Just look at the obvious correlation between a medical school's rank and the average MCAT and GPA of their students.

8675309: Your signature is simply too long.

34. sandflea

sandflea Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

i never said that numbers didn't count for anything. i'm not dumb--i know that they do! my point was that they don't mean EVERYTHING. the fact that there are 3.0 applicants getting into top schools and 4.0 applicants left with nothing proves this. and the fact that pritzker, a great med school, is comfortable with interviewing/rejecting based on NON-number factors does as well. great stats aren't a guarantee of anything, and lousy numbers aren't necessarily a guarantee of anything either. that's all i was trying to say.

35. gooloogooloo

gooloogooloo Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

lol

36. Fah-Q

Fah-Q Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm going to back-up sandflea here. Numbers are not nearly as important as the average premed thinks they are. The SOLE reason your GPA and MCAT are considered is to evaluate your ability to complete the rigorous medical school curriculum and graduate. Numbers do not predict who the will be the "best doctor." Another thing I read that I thought was absolutely ridiculous and illustrates just how ignorant some people can be about this whole game was the statement that all med schools are trying to improve their ranking. You have got to be kidding me!!! What the hell does rank mean anyways? Does the magazine's number 25 school graduate physicians that are inferior to the magazine's number 1 school? If a school slips 5 spaces from one year to the next, did the graduates from that school somehow become incompetent? There are some schools that like to see their names at the top of the annual farce but I can guarantee you that the vast majority of schools couldn't give a ****. You premeds really need to quit worshipping US News and the others because if they knew anything about a quality medical education they would open med schools themselves. Pull your heads out your asses and use those brains of yours for something other than biology tests. If you pick a school solely upon its "rank" then you deserve the possible consequences...like being miserable for 4 years. To the person contemplating calling a med school that rejected him/her, I would call and try to get an explanation for your rejection but do not mention your numbers or your suspicion that there was some mistake...this could get into real trouble...adcoms do communicate on occasion. Who knows, they may have thought your essay was the worst they have ever seen or your recs may have been terrible. Just don't assume that a good MCAT will carry you into any school you want. The game is way more complex than that.

37. Jalby

10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
    Wow. Fah-Q, I have just read through all of your posts that you have ever done and came away thinking you must be one of the biggest a******s on this board. All you do is criticize everybody else and you seem to have some sort of a superiority complex. Do you think your better than everybody else? How exactly did you make it through any interviews and get into medical school?

Josh

PS I highly recommend reading his posts. Very entertaining, but at the same time a little depressing.

38. choker

choker Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

them's fightin' words.

while i must say that i didn't find FahQ's message offensive, i do think that his tag is quite juvenile.

I mean come on dude, how old are you?

39. Jalby

10+ Year Member

Pre-Veterinary
  40. coop

coop Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

clearly fah-q didn't present arguments in the nicest of ways, but the points behind the words were valid. I too will stand up for sandflea who has been torched in this thread. At pritzker they clearly told us that essays/rec/ECs are what they look for (assuming solid #s). They don't deny the importance of numbers, but as long as numbers are good they will take a 3.6,32 who they think is interesting over a 4.0/40 who isn't. Also, gobears, don't think that just cause you have good grades and scores and got this reject it means I'm trying to say you're not interesting, Schools have needs and desires in this process, and not all of them are looking to knock themselves up the usnews charts as the #1 priority.

Personally, in a med school i'm looking for a great, exciting place to study medicine with lots of opportunities to explore research and academic medicine, but one which is not SOLEY focused on this and one where people go because they like the school, not because it is the "highest rated" school they got into. I got into chicago and am dropping "higher rated" places because these schools either didnt' seem as nice a fit for the various kinds of things i'm looking for. anyways, gtg but it's all about finding the right place for YOU.

good luck

41. andi11

andi11 Member
    7+ Year Member

The people on the other end of things are not super-human. They make mistakes, just like us. Maybe you should go ahead and call - or possibly ask why you did not get accepted - I've heard of this before - especially because it is your state school.

And don't get discouraged, if they don't want you - it's their loss and with those stats you will probably get into an even BETTER school.

Best of Luck! :D :D :D ;)

42. girl

girl Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know if this is what andi11 meant, but just so more people don't get confused... U Chicago- Pritzker is NOT an Illinois state school. It is a private school... they don't try to give preference to Illinois residents, but it happens like at any other school, where people from the area are more likely to go. Just wanted to clear up any confusion!

43. gobears

gobears Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm the one who started this thread, and I just want to say that I'm not going to bother calling Pritzker. After spending a couple of days thinking about my rejection, I've cooled down.

A lot of you are right in that some schools just look for different things. I was just surprised because in addition to my GPA/MCAT, I also have research, leadership positions, and volunteer experience. Oh well. They probably didn't like my essays or something.

I was born and raised in Chicago (21 years now), so I'd probably be better off with a change of scenery. Thanks for your input, everyone. Best of luck to all of you.

How bout them Bears? First place, baby. :)

44. USeF

USeF sunny L.A.
    10+ Year Member

gobears: heck yea! Just watching the highlight film yesterday with that momentum-filled come from behind victory sent chills up my spine. watching them get the 2 pt conversion to send it to overtime and returning the interception for a TD on the first play of overtime.. it was one of those beautiful moments that makes you feel triumphant just by watching.
    me = sports junkie

45. Trek

Trek Grand Uranium Member
    7+ Year Member

Even better than the bears was the Cowboys actually winning a game!! My boyz' are comin back!!!! --Trek

46. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't at all understand that decision. Why in the world wouldn't you trust unverified applications?