Do med schools favor their own school's undergrads?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missmod

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anybody knows whether admissions committees of med schools favor students from their affiliated undergrad schools?

Any experiences or knowledge? Does it have any kind of advantage at all?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems to be true but I do not think there any study done on that topic or anything.

Well, they don't usually disfavor them. It's not grad school where the undergrads are anathema. Some med schools really like them, some just kinda throw them in with everyone else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that they don't favor their undergrads :(....there's probably extra competition from your undergrad peers b/c I bet most of them would apply to the undergrad's affiliated med school with the same line of reasoning you have. :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by none:
•Some med schools really like them, some just kinda throw them in with everyone else.•••••My understanding is that this is exactly right. Some schools will make an effort to interview ALL of their undergrads, providing they have committee letters. Other schools will not give preference to their own students, even though most of the adcom reviewers might be friends the LOR profs. For example, HMS has a proportionate number of HU students.

Some schools like to take undergrads from their own school because they are familiar with the implementation and preparation that students undertake. For example, WashU's Med Adcomm ensures that the undergraduate premed curriculum is what they're looking [learning-wise] in a student applying to their medical school.

Yours,

Jason

Some do, and some don't like to take their own undergrads (Stanford, for example).

From a UCLA undergrad counselor:

For the entering 2001 class:
>For UCLA Medical School, they received 525 applications from our students, 34 were accepted, and 24 matriculated. 24/121 are from UCLA, 20% of the class. Still a very good rate. Our matriculation rate tends to fluctuate between 20-40% of the starting class.

I think that qualifies as favoring their undergrads.

I don't have the exact stats, but UCSD also favors its undergrads at a similiar rate.

i know that hopkins definately doesn't favor their undergrads - they tell you that when you visit the college
-jot

DW,

hahahahahahhaahh riiiiiight, COrnell, riiiight.