do med schools give preference to its undergrads

rockaction

casemed'14
May 3, 2009
  1. Medical Student
A friend of mine got rejected from his school's medical school because they "reached their maximum of allotted spaces for School X undergraduates". So I guess it works both ways. In essence, you could be competing with the other undergraduates from your school.

About the Ads

SirGecko

Go Navy
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2008
  1. Attending Physician
well the title says it all...

anyone know if medical schools have any preference for its university undergraduates?

They usually get a lot of undergraduates from their own university. The plus side is they know those applicants pretty well because they have a lot of experience with the program they went through. The downside is you are competing with a lot of the other premeds at your school. I went to an undergrad with a highly ranked medical school and they take the more of their own undergrad students each year than any other individual undergrad. Then again they produce a *lot* of premeds so you still need to be a rock star.

In short: don't pick your undergraduate school based on what medical school you would like to attend.

Mattabet

Doctor Thunder
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Somewhere in SE Wisconsin
  1. Medical Student
Some schools do have an explicit preference for their undergrads (I believe Creighton is one of them), some have a given number of spots they can give out, and some schools have a preference for not their undergrads.

This speaks to a bigger idea in academia, that you want diversity in the education of those at your institution. It's the same reason that in many cases, people that earn their Ph. D. once place will be (gently) compelled to go work & get tenure elsewhere, so that the faculty remains heterogeneous.

In this vein, Northwestern doesn't take a lot of it's own undergrads, and the ones it does are through special admission (ie, 7 year BS/MD programs) to avoid inundating it's medical school class. Ah well. Go Cats!

Also, if it's not the same school what about schools that are similar and close by?

For example: I go to UC Berkeley, and I am applying to UCSF. Do I get any advantage? Berkeley has no medical school and many Berkeley graduates apply to UCSF.

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
  1. Medical Student
Some schools do have an explicit preference for their undergrads (I believe Creighton is one of them), some have a given number of spots they can give out, and some schools have a preference for not their undergrads.

This speaks to a bigger idea in academia, that you want diversity in the education of those at your institution. It's the same reason that in many cases, people that earn their Ph. D. once place will be (gently) compelled to go work & get tenure elsewhere, so that the faculty remains heterogeneous.

In this vein, Northwestern doesn't take a lot of it's own undergrads, and the ones it does are through special admission (ie, 7 year BS/MD programs) to avoid inundating it's medical school class. Ah well. Go Cats!

+1

If you're considering any kind of clinical-clinical research career, academic inbreeding is a bad idea....

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.