May 19, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
well the title says it all...

anyone know if medical schools have any preference for its university undergraduates?

ziggydoc

Growing a Heart
10+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical

anyone know if medical schools have any preference for its university undergraduates?
I know Uconn does, but then again, since most ppl from Uconn are from the state, it makes sense. I would think it is similar in other state schools

rockaction

casemed'14
May 3, 2009
Status
Medical Student
A friend of mine got rejected from his school's medical school because they "reached their maximum of allotted spaces for School X undergraduates". So I guess it works both ways. In essence, you could be competing with the other undergraduates from your school.

SirGecko

Go Navy
10+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]

They usually get a lot of undergraduates from their own university. The plus side is they know those applicants pretty well because they have a lot of experience with the program they went through. The downside is you are competing with a lot of the other premeds at your school. I went to an undergrad with a highly ranked medical school and they take the more of their own undergrad students each year than any other individual undergrad. Then again they produce a *lot* of premeds so you still need to be a rock star.

In short: don't pick your undergraduate school based on what medical school you would like to attend.

adeline

idk my bff ***?
Jul 24, 2009
Status
In the sense that like breeds like, yeah.

And also the big staties have a lot of kids looking to move up, so the staties with quotas take them first.

Mattabet

Doctor Thunder
10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2008
Somewhere in SE Wisconsin
Status
Medical Student
Some schools do have an explicit preference for their undergrads (I believe Creighton is one of them), some have a given number of spots they can give out, and some schools have a preference for not their undergrads.

This speaks to a bigger idea in academia, that you want diversity in the education of those at your institution. It's the same reason that in many cases, people that earn their Ph. D. once place will be (gently) compelled to go work & get tenure elsewhere, so that the faculty remains heterogeneous.

In this vein, Northwestern doesn't take a lot of it's own undergrads, and the ones it does are through special admission (ie, 7 year BS/MD programs) to avoid inundating it's medical school class. Ah well. Go Cats!

Jun 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Status
Pre-Medical
Also, if it's not the same school what about schools that are similar and close by?

For example: I go to UC Berkeley, and I am applying to UCSF. Do I get any advantage? Berkeley has no medical school and many Berkeley graduates apply to UCSF.

adeline

idk my bff ***?
Jul 24, 2009
Status
UCs don't follow everyone else's rules..... no one gets in to a CA school. ;)

apumic

Oracle of the Sheet
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Denver, CO
Status
Medical Student
Some schools do have an explicit preference for their undergrads (I believe Creighton is one of them), some have a given number of spots they can give out, and some schools have a preference for not their undergrads.

This speaks to a bigger idea in academia, that you want diversity in the education of those at your institution. It's the same reason that in many cases, people that earn their Ph. D. once place will be (gently) compelled to go work & get tenure elsewhere, so that the faculty remains heterogeneous.

In this vein, Northwestern doesn't take a lot of it's own undergrads, and the ones it does are through special admission (ie, 7 year BS/MD programs) to avoid inundating it's medical school class. Ah well. Go Cats!

+1

If you're considering any kind of clinical-clinical research career, academic inbreeding is a bad idea....

Kong Bu

화이팅!~~
Jun 9, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Harvard actually doesn't look higher on its undergraduates applying to its med school. They prefer students from other schools and other states.

Leejwwc

10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
Status
Medical Student
Duke takes a lot of their own undergrads, or at least they did a couple years back. In 2007, 20 of their 100ish person class was from Duke.