Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Do med schools have class on Sundays?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ejay286, May 17, 2008.

1. ejay286

ejay286 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    NM

EDIT: Sorry I meant Saturdays...

2. ninjapenguin

5+ Year Member

Yup. But unlike weekdays, classes usually take place around 8pm and often run late into the night.

3. ejay286

ejay286 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks, I see your listed as an "attending." Can you clarify exactly what an attending is? After residency are you forever considered an attending?

4. Timmythemic22

Timmythemic22 Beep Beep Ribby Ribby
    10+ Year Member

An "attending" is one of the medical students who is always present in class. They make up the minority. The rest of "medical students", or "non-attendings" are sane enough to skip most classes and try to eek out some semblance of a life.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. TheRealMD

TheRealMD "The Mac Guy"
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. zpiff

zpiff Spaceman
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yup :laugh:

7. Terpskins99

Terpskins99 Fear... The Stig
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    In case you hadn't caught on, he was joking.

You will never have a lecture on sundays (particularly during your first two years), though during your clerkship years you will probably have to report to the hospital on a sunday every once in a while.

"Attending" is another word for a doctor that has completed training and is practicing. "Residents" are those receiving specialty training after medical school. "Intern" is essentially another term to describe a first year resident.

8. ejay286

ejay286 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Nah I don't think he was joking, I edited it in my thread that I meant to say Saturdays...

9. Lawliet2008

Lawliet2008 Nobody mess with Adam We
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey cool, an attending who's into Naruto! I knew it wasn't just me on SDN :laugh:.

10. Ashers

Ashers Bacteria? Don't exist.
    Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Seriously? You don't think he was joking? A lot of the class may meet on Saturday nights to go out.

We haven't had Saturday classes, we have occasional Saturday class meetings. Definitely have to work on Saturdays and Sundays in the clinical years.

Don't believe everything you read. Not everyone who says they're an attending is. I could change my status to attending if I wanted.

11. Terpskins99

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Dude, re-read his response. You will NEVER have a lecture at 8 pm, for the same reason why you won't have regularly scheduled lectures on Saturdays. No professor wants to show up over the weekend.

Yes, you will occasionally find a couple rare exceptions. For example, Boston University School of Medicine offers a biostatistics course that meets saturday mornings for about 1 1/2 hours. But this only happens during summer sessions (which is elective) and attended mostly by 7 year track students (or students that failed the course during the regular semester).

12. ninjapenguin

5+ Year Member

:thumbup:

I'm not an attending, but I am into Naruto! :D

13. notdeadyet

notdeadyet Still in California
    Moderator 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Your SDN info reads that you're an attending. Might want to change that lest folks think you're lying.

14. ejay286

ejay286 Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i read your post as saying 8AM not PM thats what made me think it was a believable post

15. 135892

135892 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    sure...

16. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm not just an attending, I'm a school administrator. I also happen to be a single and attractive female. :D

17. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi Chris Hanson! :hello:

18. Depakote

Depakote Pediatric Anesthesiologist
    Rocket Scientist Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Why don't you have a seat over there.

19. Hurricane95

Hurricane95 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think when he said class on saturdays at 8pm, he meant screwing around and de-stressing after a long, hard week of work :rolleyes:
    aka, hitting the bar, clubs, etc. or getting some tail, so to speak.

We don't have class on weekends years 1-2. We did have to come in to anatomy lab on a few saturday mornings for test review (voluntary, but dumb if you didn't go) during anatomy block first year. During clinical years, this is a toss-up. Some rotations may require you to come in on a saturday or sunday...it all depend on your residents and attendings. I think I read somewhere that at my school you will probably never be asked to be there on a weekend day for more than 3 hours, but I'm not sure.

20. ninjapenguin

5+ Year Member

Wow you people are taking it all out of context here. My initial post was just a JOKE. When has there ever been mandatory lectures on a weekend in the roughly 15+ years of formal education you've had? What professor/instructor would want to sit there lecturing on metabolic pathways at 8pm on a Saturday night? People need to THINK before they post.

This is exactly what is wrong with the majority of pre-meds these days - they lack any sort of common sense. It is getting quite ridiculous and frightening to see people who are supposed to be "smart" making threads on SDN to ask such stupid questions without even thinking logically or trying a Goggle search first. What's even more alarming is that these are the same people who will be admitted to medical school and become the future of our healthcare system. :scared:

Also, for the record, I'm a medical student now. Maybe tomorrow I'll become a dentist if I'm feeling lucky.

21. Terpskins99

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    It depends on your hospital's policy with regard to call schedule for medical students. But as a general rule expect to show up at least once every other weekend during internal medicine, ob/gyn and general surgery months.

As for how long we had to stay... for us, general surgery call was always overnight. We were expected to stay until the following morning (roughly 8-9 am.. whenever we finished rounding on patients). But internal medicine we only had to stay until we (the intern and myself) admitted 5 patients from the emergency room.

22. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Lots of joking in this thread. Here's the real dope. In the first two years of med school you are unlikely to have anything official scheduled on the weekend. You may have voluntary things, like club sponsored suture tying lessons, which happen on weekends. But in third year, everything changes. There will be rotations where you are on call over the weekends. Meaning you show up early Saturday morning and don't go home until mid day Sunday. There will be rotations where you are on call every 3rd or 4th day and the actually day of the week is irrelevant. There will be rotations where you may have weekends where you work as if they are normal business days, waiting for that golden weekend where you actually get both days off. And you may have rotations where you are at least expected to come in and round on your patients with the team in the mornings but have the afternoons free. Such is life in 3rd year. So while you may not have class on Sundays, once you reach third year, you may find yourself on the wards all day or night on a given Sunday.