do med schools know...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uclakid

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. do med schools know how many other schools you applied to?

2. if they do know, does it influence them in any way?

Members don't see this ad.

- Subsequent to June 1, a school of medicine seeking to admit an applicant already known to be accepted by another school for that entering class should advise that school of its intent. Because of the administrative problems involved in filling a place vacated just prior to the commencement of the academic year, schools should communicate fully with each other with respect to anticipated late roster changes in order to keep misunderstandings at a minimum.

-After an applicant has enrolled in a U.S. school of medicine or begun a brief orientation program contiguous to enrollment, no further acceptances should be offered to that individual. Once enrolled in a school, students have an obligation to withdraw their applications promptly from all other schools. Enrollment is defined as being officially registered as a member of the first-year entering class at a school.

Members don't see this ad :)
uclakid said:
1. do med schools know how many other schools you applied to?

2. if they do know, does it influence them in any way?

im pretty sure that they dont know. they do know about your other acceptances though.

I wonder what communication of intent means. So, school X, after June 1st, that wants and applicant contacts school Y that already has this student on their roster and says, "we're going to offer this kid a seat."

Does this give the other school some sort of recourse? I mean, can they say, please don't offer him/her a seat. We want this student for x reason. Or is this just a formality and no negotiation occurs.

Admission Committees know what school you applied to and where you have been accepted to all along. I am 100% positive!!!

From what I have heard from a couple of deans of admissions is that schools know how many other places you have applied to all along, however, after March 15th they know where you have been admitted as well.

Indebt4Life said:
Admission Committees know what school you applied to and where you have been accepted to all along. I am 100% positive!!!
Could you please share why you are 100% positive about this? It seems to be widely debated...

LP1CW said:
I wonder what communication of intent means. So, school X, after June 1st, that wants and applicant contacts school Y that already has this student on their roster and says, "we're going to offer this kid a seat."

Does this give the other school some sort of recourse? I mean, can they say, please don't offer him/her a seat. We want this student for x reason. Or is this just a formality and no negotiation occurs.
they email each other and stuff like that. my friend showed me some of his emails from adcoms that told him that school X emailed us that you were attending there and that not to consider you for admissions to our Y school....is this what are you are planning to do?

he had to take the X acceptance (this is all after may 15) so that he had a school to go to and wait for Y cause he was still on the waitlist...and had to email them back saying that Y was his #1 choice and all this other jazz...

jlee9531 said:
they email each other and stuff like that. my friend showed me some of his emails from adcoms that told him that school X emailed us that you were attending there and that not to consider you for admissions to our Y school....is this what are you are planning to do?

he had to take the X acceptance (this is all after may 15) so that he had a school to go to and wait for Y cause he was still on the waitlist...and had to email them back saying that Y was his #1 choice and all this other jazz...
But what do they know BEFORE May 15th? Do they know where you've applied. And if they do, how might they use that information?

SailCrazy said:
But what do they know BEFORE May 15th? Do they know where you've applied. And if they do, how might they use that information?
im pretty sure they have something that tells you where you have applied...use that information along with the rest of your application to see if they have some competition for you i suppose. if you were an amazing applicant and you had the ivy schools on there and you are just an obviously "safety" school for him/her...why bother wasting a spot when it could go to someone else that actually wants to attend the school.

I have to say... I know they aren't supposed to know where you applied, but an interviewer made reference to one of the schools I had applied to....and I never said I had applied there. I don't know how they knew, perhaps a great guesser.

Don't let it stress you. Really, the schools don't care where you applied. It is no big deal. Unless you have applied early decision, the schools know that you are going to be applying to other places. Who cares where and how many. Really, they don't care about that.

The only time they care about the schools is after May 15th and that is when they know about the schools where you have acceptances and that is when they care.

Amy B said:
The only time they care about the schools is after May 15th and that is when they know about the schools where you have acceptances and that is when they care.

Just to clarify, after may 15th do the schools then know any/all schools that you have been accepted to during the whole process? Or do they just find out the 1 school you're supposed to be holding an acceptance to?

Hhhmmmmm, I don't know. I would assume they get to know the one acceptance you are holding but not the others that you have withdrawn from, but that is only a guess on my part.

Indebt4Life said:

SailCrazy said:
Could you please share why you are 100% positive about this? It seems to be widely debated...

Big Brother is watching... and his name is AAMC... :D

Jlee9531, I'm confused.

So, your friend was holding an acceptance but wanted to stay on the waitlist at another school and the school that he was in at emailed the other school to tell them not to accept him?

I thought that as long as we had only one seat after May 15th we could stay on as many waitlist that we want.

I'm planning to attend NYU but I'm waitlisted at a school that is ranked higher, by many considered to be a better school, so I'm still teasing with the idea of attending there. So, I thought I'd see how things go. And If I got in, I could make a choice.

If they know how schools you apply to, this is a double edged sword for us California residents. Since we cannot rely on in state acceptances we have to apply to a lot of schools. But that also means that the top 25 schools look at how many schools you applied to and think, "he must not think he is (some college) material." From advice i have gotten from some of my fellow californians is that if you think you are qualified applicant do not apply to more than 15. But that is a suicide mission if you ask me (waiting another year and applying again would be awful)

I plan on applying to at least 25, but i cannot help to feel a little manipualted in this system if the schools really do know which other schools you applied to.

Any thoughts on this SDNers?

PS: if i was on the adcom i would look to see how many schools people applied to and make conclusions based on it, so i am sure they do too.

The MD/PhD programs have a national database that tracks the applicants and their acceptances. As for the MD programs, I'm unsure. My gut tells me the schools know, but I have no way to back this up.

Does anyone know definitively whether admissions committees know if you're on waitlists at other schools?

I was told by someone on the admissions committee that if someone only applied to one school then they wonder if they have an ego program and worry that there might be problems with this individual later. If applying to lots of schools they may ask why you applied to so many but you just say that I love medicine and wanted to make sure that I got in someone and they are fine with that anwser.

clowne said:
Does anyone know definitively whether admissions committees know if you're on waitlists at other schools?

I would like to know info on this as well. There are 2 schools I am waitlisted at that I would attend over the school I'm probably gonna commit too. Do schools know you are holding multiple waitlists?