1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Do med schools know...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Shishka, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Shishka

Shishka Member
    7+ Year Member

...what other med shools you applied to?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. drmota

drmota 2K Member
    5+ Year Member

not while you're applying. once they give you an offer they are allowed to see what other schools have made you offers. i'm not quite sure how though.
    -mota

4. Shishka

Shishka Member
    7+ Year Member

I see. Thanks.

5. TimmyTheWonderD

TimmyTheWonderD Takin' it 1 day @ a time!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student

really? how did you find this out?

6. DrHuang

DrHuang SDN Donor
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    through amcas

7. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Schools are not supposed to formally contact each other to determine the list of schools to which you are applying. However, interviewers can, and may informally ask about the other schools you are considering. I know someone who sits on the Temple adcom and she said that they try and determine if one is applying to more than one school in Pennsylvania. There reason for doing that (especially for PA residents) is b/c they want to see if someone has an interest in staying within the PA (and especially the Philadelphia) region.

I learned alot about the admission process recently and how schools use 3 different sets of scores that they use to rank applicants.

8. jebus

jebus Membership Revoked
    Removed 5+ Year Member

Well, spill it, mister! Please?

9. Flyfisher

Flyfisher On Target: Med School
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Some schools requested my AMCAS app be sent in with the secondary. That then shows my list of schools to them. I assumed that they new already from getting my primary.

10. PhotoMD

PhotoMD Rad!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Schools cannot see to which other schools you have applied until May 15. At that point, they can see your school list regardless of whether you are holding an offer anywhere or not. The reason for this is that May 15 is the deadline for applicants to decline offers at all but one school, and schools may enforce this deadline by dropping any applicants who are holding more than one offer on this date. Prior to that date, schools absolutely cannot see your list, even if they have offered you admission.

There would be no reason for a school to request you send a print-out of your AMCAS application. If they did, I would feel more than comfortable not sending in the portion that showed my list of schools. I applied to eight schools last year and none of them knew my list until May 15 or asked me about it at interviews.

11. PhotoMD

PhotoMD Rad!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    One more comment to build on a previous post: admissions committee members have access to an AAMC web site where they can type in your AAMC ID number and see your list of schools after May 15, or see your AMCAS application if they have applied to the particular school.

How do I know? After getting rejected at a particular school, I went in for a post-rejection interview in June and saw the adcom pull up my file on an AAMC website.

12. wowzer

wowzer daaaaaamn homie
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    once you get accepted to any school ANYTIME during the process (even NOW), any school can find out about it through AMCAS...so for those of us who have gotten accepted, other schools can and probably will know. Both my friend and I got this from the Dean of Admissions at MSSM.

13. oompa loompa

oompa loompa Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

that doesn't seem fair...no, I don't believe schools can find out where you've been accepted until after May 15...at least not through any legitimate means...

Edit: if they CAN though, then I shall use that to explain why I have been recently waitlisted by various unworthy schools :smuggrin:

14. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    We should ask REL or LizzyM, but I think that the med schools CAN see where you've been accepted before May 15. They can't see where else you've applied.

15. CerealBox

CerealBox Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Really?? I was under the impression that they couldn't.

This kind of makes the game more *interesting*

16. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Well, maybe it's just because they talk to each other, but here in FL at least, it seems that the admissions directors DO know when one of the other FL schools has accepted you. ;)

17. MadameLULU

MadameLULU Saucy
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    They can see where you are holding spots after March 15. I recieved an email from school X, asking me to resolve my mutliple acceptances and this was before the May 15th deadline :rolleyes:

18. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi there,
    We do not have access to the schools that you have applied to and we really do not care. Any offers of interviews or admission is based totally on the strength of your application and not where you have applied. We do know when you have been accepted but not specifically where unless you reveal that information.
    njbmd :)

19. REL

REL Senior Member
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Ok -- Med schools have NO access to the list of schools you applied to. They are only listed on your AMCAS printout, not ours. If you supply a med school with a copy of your application they will see the list unless you dont give them that page. You shouldnt have to show a med school your copy of your application.

Now, around mid-March, medical schools can query an AAMC database of those who have applied to their school only. If accepted by another school that school name will showup when we query our applicant. Again, we will only see other school acceptances of those who applied to our program. Never will schools have access to your application list unless you provide it.

20. BaylorGuy

BaylorGuy Enter witty comment here
    7+ Year Member

Thanks REL, you rock

21. tigress

tigress queen of the jungle
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks REL, that's good to know. Otherwise I might blame my Penn State waitlist on the fact that I've been accepted elsewhere! I mean, if schools could find out where we've been accepted, they could find out that an applicant has been accepted to a higher ranked school, and assume that the applicant would go there before their own school (bad assumption, though, IMO), and then just waitlist the applicant. But I don't know, that might not even happen if they could find out. It's just too much trouble to go through for each applicant!