drmota

2K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2005
2,596
1
Santa MONICA
Status
not while you're applying. once they give you an offer they are allowed to see what other schools have made you offers. i'm not quite sure how though.
-mota
 
About the Ads

TimmyTheWonderD

Takin' it 1 day @ a time!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2005
690
1
Chicago area
Status
Medical Student
DaMota said:
not while you're applying. once they give you an offer they are allowed to see what other schools have made you offers. i'm not quite sure how though.
-mota

really? how did you find this out?
 

riceman04

10+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2005
8,505
5
38
Los Angeles
Status
Medical Student
Shishka said:
...what other med shools you applied to?
Schools are not supposed to formally contact each other to determine the list of schools to which you are applying. However, interviewers can, and may informally ask about the other schools you are considering. I know someone who sits on the Temple adcom and she said that they try and determine if one is applying to more than one school in Pennsylvania. There reason for doing that (especially for PA residents) is b/c they want to see if someone has an interest in staying within the PA (and especially the Philadelphia) region.

I learned alot about the admission process recently and how schools use 3 different sets of scores that they use to rank applicants.
 

jebus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 22, 2005
2,526
6
Status
riceman04 said:
I learned alot about the admission process recently and how schools use 3 different sets of scores that they use to rank applicants.
Well, spill it, mister! Please?
 

Flyfisher

On Target: Med School
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2005
202
0
LA LA Land
Status
Medical Student
Some schools requested my AMCAS app be sent in with the secondary. That then shows my list of schools to them. I assumed that they new already from getting my primary.
 

PhotoMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
460
1
NYC
Status
Medical Student
Schools cannot see to which other schools you have applied until May 15. At that point, they can see your school list regardless of whether you are holding an offer anywhere or not. The reason for this is that May 15 is the deadline for applicants to decline offers at all but one school, and schools may enforce this deadline by dropping any applicants who are holding more than one offer on this date. Prior to that date, schools absolutely cannot see your list, even if they have offered you admission.

There would be no reason for a school to request you send a print-out of your AMCAS application. If they did, I would feel more than comfortable not sending in the portion that showed my list of schools. I applied to eight schools last year and none of them knew my list until May 15 or asked me about it at interviews.
 

PhotoMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
460
1
NYC
Status
Medical Student
One more comment to build on a previous post: admissions committee members have access to an AAMC web site where they can type in your AAMC ID number and see your list of schools after May 15, or see your AMCAS application if they have applied to the particular school.

How do I know? After getting rejected at a particular school, I went in for a post-rejection interview in June and saw the adcom pull up my file on an AAMC website.
 

wowzer

daaaaaamn homie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2004
428
0
35
baltimore
Status
Pre-Medical
once you get accepted to any school ANYTIME during the process (even NOW), any school can find out about it through AMCAS...so for those of us who have gotten accepted, other schools can and probably will know. Both my friend and I got this from the Dean of Admissions at MSSM.
 

oompa loompa

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2005
447
0
Status
wowzer said:
once you get accepted to any school ANYTIME during the process (even NOW), any school can find out about it through AMCAS...so for those of us who have gotten accepted, other schools can and probably will know. Both my friend and I got this from the Dean of Admissions at MSSM.
that doesn't seem fair...no, I don't believe schools can find out where you've been accepted until after May 15...at least not through any legitimate means...

Edit: if they CAN though, then I shall use that to explain why I have been recently waitlisted by various unworthy schools :smuggrin:
 

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
18,894
4,181
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
We should ask REL or LizzyM, but I think that the med schools CAN see where you've been accepted before May 15. They can't see where else you've applied.
 

CerealBox

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2005
600
0
Status
QofQuimica said:
We should ask REL or LizzyM, but I think that the med schools CAN see where you've been accepted before May 15. They can't see where else you've applied.
Really?? I was under the impression that they couldn't.

This kind of makes the game more *interesting*
 

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
18,894
4,181
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
SeattlePostBach said:
Really?? I was under the impression that they couldn't.

This kind of makes the game more *interesting*
Well, maybe it's just because they talk to each other, but here in FL at least, it seems that the admissions directors DO know when one of the other FL schools has accepted you. ;)
 

MadameLULU

Saucy
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 14, 2004
4,462
16
KNOTSville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
They can see where you are holding spots after March 15. I recieved an email from school X, asking me to resolve my mutliple acceptances and this was before the May 15th deadline :rolleyes:
 

njbmd

Guest
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
9,050
151
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Shishka said:
...what other med shools you applied to?
Hi there,
We do not have access to the schools that you have applied to and we really do not care. Any offers of interviews or admission is based totally on the strength of your application and not where you have applied. We do know when you have been accepted but not specifically where unless you reveal that information.
njbmd :)
 

REL

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
May 23, 2005
1,542
1,245
SeattlePostBach said:
Really?? I was under the impression that they couldn't.

This kind of makes the game more *interesting*
Ok -- Med schools have NO access to the list of schools you applied to. They are only listed on your AMCAS printout, not ours. If you supply a med school with a copy of your application they will see the list unless you dont give them that page. You shouldnt have to show a med school your copy of your application.

Now, around mid-March, medical schools can query an AAMC database of those who have applied to their school only. If accepted by another school that school name will showup when we query our applicant. Again, we will only see other school acceptances of those who applied to our program. Never will schools have access to your application list unless you provide it.
 

BaylorGuy

Enter witty comment here
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2005
1,925
0
36
Galveston
Status
REL said:
Ok -- Med schools have NO access to the list of schools you applied to. They are only listed on your AMCAS printout, not ours. If you supply a med school with a copy of your application they will see the list unless you dont give them that page. You shouldnt have to show a med school your copy of your application.

Now, around mid-March, medical schools can query an AAMC database of those who have applied to their school only. If accepted by another school that school name will showup when we query our applicant. Again, we will only see other school acceptances of those who applied to our program. Never will schools have access to your application list unless you provide it.
Thanks REL, you rock
 

tigress

queen of the jungle
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
3,373
6
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks REL, that's good to know. Otherwise I might blame my Penn State waitlist on the fact that I've been accepted elsewhere! I mean, if schools could find out where we've been accepted, they could find out that an applicant has been accepted to a higher ranked school, and assume that the applicant would go there before their own school (bad assumption, though, IMO), and then just waitlist the applicant. But I don't know, that might not even happen if they could find out. It's just too much trouble to go through for each applicant!
 
About the Ads