Do Med Schools offer abroad summer experiences between MS1 and MS2

KatsuCurry

2+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2016
USA
  1. Pre-Medical
Given that most schools have 8-12 weeks off between MS1 and MS2, is it common for rising MS2s to volunteer abroad for that summer? Do schools often organize such programs or have resources to find such programs? Which schools are well known for having such global health opportunities?

About the Ads
D

deleted1005514

Mine does but it was canceled last year due to COVID-19.

It’s been my experience that schools that offer these opportunities are proud of them, and they’re posted on the school’s website or mentioned during open houses and interview days.

Reactions: 1 user

catnip12

2+ Year Member
Jun 15, 2018
  1. Medical Student
1) I personally planned on it based on an opportunity at my med school but COVID

2) Yes many do based on what I remember from the interview trail.

3) The more reputable schools will have a lot of opportunity.The less reputable schools less so!

TelemarketingEnigma

2+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2017
  1. Medical Student
A lot of students from Miami's MD/MPH program do their required public health Field Experiences abroad - there's funding available, most who apply get it but I think it's typically not quite enough to cover all expenses (could be wrong though, I didn't go abroad). There's also spring break mission trips (recent/common ones include Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Haiti I think?), but all of those were cancelled this year due to COVID. I imagine there's a good chance that they will stay cancelled next year, unless Florida gets it together...

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.