DO med schools open to international applicants

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

byeus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
Status (Visible)
I'm trying to gather information on DO schools that consider international students. Not just for my convenience but for other international students who are in the same predicament as I am. So, if you're currently attending a US School of Med as an international, please write down
1. the name of the school (required)
2. your MCAT score and GPA (to see what is considered competitive)
You don't need to reveal your scores if you are uncomfortable, but I do want to know what schools are friendly to international schools.
Thank you soooo much for your help.

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
My school (OSU-COM) will consider those with green cards. We have at least one non-US citizen in my class (a couple of others may be...not sure if they are naturalized or not).

This webpage has some average stats for the school, although they've been trying to up them recently, so a bit higher is definitely better.

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by byeus
I'm trying to gather information on DO schools that consider international students. Not just for my convenience but for other international students who are in the same predicament as I am. So, if you're currently attending a US School of Med as an international, please write down
1. the name of the school (required)
2. your MCAT score and GPA (to see what is considered competitive)
You don't need to reveal your scores if you are uncomfortable, but I do want to know what schools are friendly to international schools.
Thank you soooo much for your help.
I think most DO schools would consider international applicants. You could look at the individual school's websites for information on that.

Generally the average GPA is a 3.4 and MCAT is a 27 for accepted students.

About the Ads

adelarin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2004
Houston, New Orleans
Status (Visible)
Slickness,
I'm an international student and will be part of NSUCOM class of 2008. Most private schools will accept international students. When I was applying, I called up the 10 schools I applied to and made sure they accepted international students. They are:

1. NSUCOM (YEAH!!!!)
2. DMU-COM
3. PCOM
4. UHS-COM
5. CCOM
6. Western-COM
7. VCOM
8. AZCOM
9. KCOM
10.UNE-COM

My MCAT score was not competitive AT ALL. I can tell you that, it was not even average. However my GPA made up for it (3.77) and I also will have a masters by May. I was told not to apply by alot of people because of my low MCAT score, especially as an international student with no green card, but I was very confident and knew I had what it takes to succeed. I was offered three admissions, declined three interviews, and withdrew four applications after I got the school of my dreams. So whatever your credentials, if you feel you got what it takes.... go for it.

DORoe

BWAAA HAAA HAAA
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
Ohio
Status (Visible)
I think it is worth mentioning that many other countries will not let you practice medicine with a DO degree. So, you are going to have to stay in the US to practice. (If I am wrong I'm sorry and please feel free to correct me)

DrMom

Official Mom of SDN
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
wherever I go, there I am
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Originally posted by DORoe
I think it is worth mentioning that many other countries will not let you practice medicine with a DO degree. So, you are going to have to stay in the US to practice. (If I am wrong I'm sorry and please feel free to correct me)

You don't have to stay in the US to practice.

Many of the ones that don't let DOs practice simply don't let foreign docs practice. Also, those rules generally apply to trying to get a license to have a regular practice there. Physicians who want to do humanitarian work are almost always welcomed. It is true, though, that if you want to move to certain countries, as a DO you wouldn't be able to practice.

There is a thread going on right now (don't remember if it is in pre-osteo or osteo) with a pretty up-to-date list.

DORoe

BWAAA HAAA HAAA
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2003
Ohio
Status (Visible)
Thanks Dr. Mom I didn't want to give out false information

dollarbincommon

apple fritters are good
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2004
apple orchard
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by adelarin

1. NSUCOM (YEAH!!!!)
2. DMU-COM
3. PCOM
4. UHS-COM
5. CCOM
6. Western-COM
7. VCOM
8. AZCOM
9. KCOM
10.UNE-COM

adelarin, do you know if TUCOM and NYCOM also take international students?

By the way, thanks for listing the schools. :)

adelarin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2004
Houston, New Orleans
Status (Visible)
$bincommon,

I called NYCOM as well to find out if they did but unfortunately they just stopped accepting foreign students last year. They said it had to do with funding for international students and their inability to pay or something funky like that. As for TUCOM (Touro right?). I'm not sure but I think I called them as well and was told they don't. Oh well. But you could always call to make sure.

No problem about the school listing. Least I could do.

byeus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2004
Status (Visible)
Thank you for all of you who have replied to my post. You guys are so awesome!

empower12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
CT
Status (Visible)
hi,
i'm also an int'l student (no green card), will be done with my masters this may.i have a 25 MCAT, 3.7 gpa and 3.2 science gpa.i also applied to all private schools after i called ALL private DO and MD schools to ask if take ppl w/t green card.some of them (MD schools) have this info on their websites too.

here is what i applied to:

DO schools
KCOM
DMU
UNECOM
UHS
NSU COM
VCOM
AZCOM
CCOM
Western COMP
PCOM

MD schools:
Tulane
Howard

I sent secondaries to only Howard for MD schools and to all the DO schools I have mentioned.

So far, I am waitlisted for UNECOM, am waiting for KCOM's decision and have to interview at UHS, DMU and COMP. Haven't heard back from the rest. I finished my secondaries a week before their deadlines, so I am not surprised that many of them haven't even asked me to interview!atleast not yet!!

good luck!

empower12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2002
CT
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by adelarin
$bincommon,

IAs for TUCOM (Touro right?). I'm not sure but I think I called them as well and was told they don't. Oh well. But you could always call to make sure.
Touro does not take int'l i called to find out when i was applying.they need a green card.

uhs07

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 18, 2002
Status (Visible)
Please, I beg you don't go to UHS if you are F1 and your parents are not very rich. You can apply to UHS but don't go there if you have other acceptance(S). I administrators are very nice but there is one person that you have to pass through after you acceptance who happen to have a popular reputation of given F1 students a very hard time on a yearly basis. The Americans/Green card holders are not likely to understand me. You can PM me for more info.

I am currently an MI and I will say that overall, DO are VERY open to any F1 student that meets their criteria. I think got an interview offer from all the schools that I applied to and completed their application. If you get into NSUCOM go there with immediate effect. I personally don't think that the administrators of the private school DO care about your F1 status. I think they just want quality applicants.

You have to be mindful that even though a school as a body might not discriminate againt F1 students some particular individual might. But that is life; some will hate you because of your race, money, style of dressing, e.t.c

My experience at my current DO has been great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thank Americans for giving a chance in their country. I am grateful to God, the land, and her people. I am not at UHS by the way.
The Foreign DO student

PS: I am an average

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.