Do Med Schools see your actual transcript?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Haybrant

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Does AMCAS send a copy of your actual transcript to schools or do they just send the numbers you entered in on their system. A teacher of mine gave me a very wrong grade and when it was finally changed there was a notification on my transcript which can't be changed, so im just curious if this will be seen and if I should prepare to answer questions about it during interviews. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Be prepared to explain it. Have supporting documentation with you just in case. I'm sure you'll be OK.

MedSchoolFool said:
Yes. Be prepared to explain it. Have supporting documentation with you just in case. I'm sure you'll be OK.

what do you feel would be supporting documentation; a letter from the prof?

Members don't see this ad :)
actually, they don't (i think). only AMCAS and the school that you eventually matriculate to will get an "actual" copy of your transcript.

it depends on the school.
some schools (columbia) actually ask you to send in your transcript on your secondary because they don't get the information.
but i think overall, unless they don't ask for it, they've assumed that amcas ppl did their job when they verified your transcript.

kiwie07 said:
it depends on the school.
some schools (columbia) actually ask you to send in your transcript on your secondary because they don't get the information.
but i think overall, unless they don't ask for it, they've assumed that amcas ppl did their job when they verified your transcript.

Is columbia still doing this since they are now part of AMCAS?

No, schools do NOT get a copy of your transcript from AMCAS. They only get the AMCAS printout that lists your courses and grades. That's why when you matriculate at a school, they require you to send them all your transcripts prior to orientation.

you would still need to mark on your amcas that you had a grade changed, especially if it was noted on the transcript.
so i don't see how this "terrible grade" of yours would not be seen.

mr. sparkle said:
you would still need to mark on your amcas that you had a grade changed, especially if it was noted on the transcript.
so i don't see how this "terrible grade" of yours would not be seen.

no, no; the grade was changed b.c she screwed up; she gave me a b- but it was an A. So they make a notification on the transcript but only show the updated grade. So i guess i dont have to do any explaining for that which is nice....