Quantcast

Do Med Schools take the higest grade , if you took the class twice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

integralx2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering. Lets say you got a C the first time , then decided to retake and got A. Then in your science gpa are they both considered or only the retake ? Or it really depends on which schools you apply too.

tungsten87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i believe that MD schools average the two while DO schools consider the retake.

just one

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just for clarification, MD schools do take the average but they are both just a part of your overall GPA like any other course. For instance, it is of no benefit to retake except to show a school that you can do better. Taking any other class would be just like "averaging" a repeat course (assuming same credit hours).

icalz

Don't poke the tiger
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes they take the average of the two scores; however, if you first scored a C and then were able to pull of an A it would demonstrate to the adcoms that you can work hard and make it through med school courses, although it wouldn't boost your gpa too much.

J ROD

Watch my TAN walk!!
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Also, just for future reference, lets say you get a C in the Bio I and then an A in Bio II....there is no need to retake Bio I.

You prove with Bio II that you can handle...just do better on higher level courses.

Physics II, I would not worry in that case.

Ochem II - bad grade; take Biochem get an A

Gchem II - bad grade; take Ochem and do well or Biochem do well

Basically, you dont have to retake a bad prereq, only if you have alot of bad prereqs...and need to show that was not your ability and do to some other circumstance....that you will have to explain!! of course!! :rolleyes:

SouthernSurgeon

Lifetime Donor
    10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Yes they take the average of the two scores; however, if you first scored a C and then were able to pull of an A it would demonstrate to the adcoms that you can work hard and make it through med school courses, although it wouldn't boost your gpa too much.

Or it would demonstrate that you retook the same course. I think that barring an outright failure, adcoms would rather see you move on and take a higher level science course and do better in that.

icalz

Don't poke the tiger
    10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    Also, just for future reference, lets say you get a C in the Bio I and then an A in Bio II....there is no need to retake Bio I.

You prove with Bio II that you can handle...just do better on higher level courses.

Physics II, I would not worry in that case.

Ochem II - bad grade; take Biochem get an A

Gchem II - bad grade; take Ochem and do well or Biochem do well

Basically, you dont have to retake a bad prereq, only if you have alot of bad prereqs...and need to show that was not your ability and do to some other circumstance....that you will have to explain!! of course!! :rolleyes:

:thumbup: An upward trend is as good as retaking a class....just demonstrate that you are not scientifically inept.

redsquareblack

10+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    It's worth noting, however, that retaking prereqs can be especially helpful. Consider that some schools ask you to list which courses satisfy their prereqs, and many of those schools look at those courses especially closely.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
    2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
    5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
    6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
    7. This thread is locked.