Do med students ever have an opportunity to TA a class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LoveBeingHuman:)

I know it's a silly question but I've wanted to be a teacher. I feel like being a TA just once would be an awesome experience.

Members don't see this ad.

We have med students TAing our anatomy labs.

Also teaching med students/residents/fellows can be a permanent part of your career. Going into medicine definitely doesn't mean crossing 'teacher' off of your list of potential careers, it's pretty much the opposite

Reactions: 2 users
I was a TA during my post bacc. It was an excellent way to stay fresh on core material. I hope I can continue as a med student. Thanks for asking this question!

Members don't see this ad :)
Many medical schools have electives where M2/3s can TA classes like anatomy labs and teach M1s

Reactions: 1 user
We had upperclassmen help out in a few MS1 classes, namely anatomy and a couple others. As MS4's we got to help teach the MS1 physical exam course.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if these are usually for pay/stipend or credit?

My school only had TA opportunities in the summer between M1/M2 for physiology and anatomy for the PA students. It was a source of income for over the summer.

The other options that were available included tutoring (paid or volunteering), Step 1 study group leader (volunteer), and M2 cardiovascular group leader (volunteer). Some of my classmates taught for Kaplan or Princeton Review.

Your school will likely have some option for you to continue teaching, if you want to pursue it. Compensation is likely going to be minimal.

Does anyone know if these are usually for pay/stipend or credit?
TAing anatomy lab is paid if you have work study at my school.
All fourth years help with omm at some point as part of a rotation. Some help with the physical exam class

We have M2 student TAs for anatomy, and M3 student instructors for beginner physical exams.