Do Medical schools accept 1 ONLINE class (if I do the lab at local school)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cargirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of doing this for Physics 1 due to my course load.

I will be doing the NC state online version of the class so its a good school.

Members don't see this ad.

How will it appear on the transcript? If it doesn't say 'online' then you shouldn't have a problem.

I'm taking microbio online but I take the exams on campus. I also go to lab on campus. So it's really not an online course but a course that doesn't require me to have a lecture. It will also show up on my transcript as just a regular class so no one will ever be able to tell the difference. I have never heard of "online" being marked on a transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
Everywhere I've been, the only place that indicates that you're taking an online class is where it usually lists my room number. As long as the adcoms don't get that, you should be fine.

That being said, unless Physics comes very naturally to you, it may not be wise to take it when you have a massive course load. Some people find it easy, and good for them, but for others, it can end up taking a LOT of studying. If you're in an online class, I would imagine there being a lot of homework to offset the inability to give you pop-quizzes and so on.

Not only that, but since Physics is a math-based class, it can be extremely difficult to ask and have answered any questions, since text can only do so much. You're going to need to make sure that you know exactly which symbols you use for a given variable (since it seems most professors seem to have their own personal arsenal that they don't share with the world for many of them) and that you have no problems drawing diagrams based purely on text.

If I were you, I'd personally just wait until I could get into a lecture, not necessarily because the lecture itself is going to help you, but rather because the notes you take in a lecture will be your own, and it will make it that much easier to understand what you're supposed to be reading.

I took one science class online (A&P, ended up with a high B) and I really didn't like it very much. At my school, the BIO department doesn't allow group discussions so everything had to be done SOLO! It's not always a bad thing... But I like interaction with other people. I think people learn better when they can discuss the topics with others. I've taken a LOT of online classes (24 credits worth), and the BIO class was definitely not an easy one to take online. I withdrew the first time because I was taking 2 other courses and working full time and didn't have enough time to devote to it in order to get a decent grade. When I took it for a grade I was only taking a COM class, but still working full time. I literally spent every free moment I had studying for that class and still only managed a B!

Hey did you end up taking the online course? Did medical schools accept them? I am debating whether to take a few courses online now or not, but I'm afraid some schools won't accept online credit.

Thanks =)

These days most med schools frown on online courses generally if you are not a member of the armed forces stationed overseas and the conventional thinking is that if you are going to take an online class it ought not be a prereq. I wouldn't recommend it.

Hey did you end up taking the online course? Did medical schools accept them? I am debating whether to take a few courses online now or not, but I'm afraid some schools won't accept online credit.

Thanks =)

Good rule of thumb is to look and see how it transfers in. Most courses don't show as "online" and from the med schools I've talked too they could care less anyway. Just get that A. I took online genetics and bio and will take online physiology. They are through a local university that has an accompanying med school