Do Medical Schools care about my old transfer college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Antigluten

Reaction score
My brother and I went to a Canadian medical school for about 2 years, but we had a really bad situation at home due to a family member which heavily affected our mental state and it had a big impact on our GPA. I transferred to an American college with my brother, and they wiped the slate clean in terms of GPA so I had to study an extra year to account for lost credit. I stayed for 3 years, and the stable environment really changed everything. I got a 3.8 GPA I'm very proud of, but did any of it matter? I'm worried that once I apply, they'll see my Canadian scores and throw my application in the trash. Am I being paranoid? Is it just something I explain in an interview so I can at least explain my situation, or will my old GPA fuse with the new one?

Members don't see this ad.

Not clear on your history. Were you in a BS/MD program? Or you transferred from a Canadian medical school to a US UG college? You have yet to take the MCAT, so please clarify.

Why did you not simply withdraw when this crisis hit??

Not clear on your history. Were you in a BS/MD program? Or you transferred from a Canadian medical school to a US UG college? You have yet to take the MCAT, so please clarify.

Why did you not simply withdraw when this crisis hit??
Also, if it was in fact a medical school, would that not impact OP's ability to apply at all? Do US MD and DO schools accept applications from candidates who have previously attended medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if it was in fact a medical school, would that not impact OP's ability to apply at all? Do US MD and DO schools accept applications from candidates who have previously attended medical school?
Big time effect on applying to med school. If this is the case, I'd want to know why not merely take a LOA, and then worry about the Op's coping skills the next time Life throw a curve ball, if not an actual spitball.

If OP is Canadian, that further complicates things.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you saying that you attended college/university for three or four years, then 2 years of a medical school in Canada and then came to the US and re-started your undergraduat education anew? Please clarify.

Reactions: 2 users