Do Medical Schools care what you're doing during application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1108162

Do med schools care about what you're doing after you've submitted apps? Like if you're doing a gap year and working at a medical office part-time and taking comp sci classes. or if you had a change in activities from what you originally planned/wrote on primaries and are working at a diff clinic. Do they care?

Members don't see this ad.

Not really. They MIGHT ask you during an interview but that's pretty much it. I just put the end date for all my current activities as the month I submitted my application. None of the schools I interviewed with so far have brought up current activities. Plans change and I'm sure they know that. Small changes in experiences are a non factor.

Plus they won't know what you're doing unless you tell them. You can sit around doing nothing but drinking mountain dew and eating doritos like a gamer and they wouldn't find out. Only caveat is that if you have to reapply there will be a gap in experiences.

Last edited:
I think that if you’re doing something constructive you will be fine. It might come across as strange to an interviewer if you’re not taking classes or don’t have some type of job.

Reactions: 1 user
Do med schools care about what you're doing after you've submitted apps? Like if you're doing a gap year and working at a medical office part-time and taking comp sci classes. or if you had a change in activities from what you originally planned/wrote on primaries and are working at a diff clinic. Do they care?
If you're waitlisted (or rejected) and have been sitting on the beach since you submitted secondaries, they will care. And it will hurt. If you change jobs or do something different and still productive, then it shouldn't matter. If you have weaknesses in your profile and you don't use the application cycle to address them, it could also hurt.

Reactions: 2 users