Do Medical Schools Care Where You Take Your Prereqs At?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mikeg1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm debating on whether or not I should take them at a UC or at a CCC.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take them at a UC, you will learn more, and it will look better.

Take them at a UC. Medical schools don't mind an occasional class taken at a community college, but they would begin to wonder if you can handle a rigorous course load if you take the majority of your prereqs at a CCC.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above posters.

But, I do need to add: medical schools WILL care if you consistently end your sentences with a preposition while applying. :thumbdown:

I know, nit-picky SDNers. I just had to.

Yes, unlike the answer to "Does it really matter which US med school I go to", there is a definitive answer to this question. There usually is a significant difference in both the rigor and quality of courses taught at a community college vs a larger university where your instructor is significantly involved with the most current and sophisticated research about what he is teaching.

Sure you may have to work harder for the "A" at the larger school, but it will be well worth it. And adcoms will likely recognize this. Having a handful more "B's" from a good university will not really be seen as any worse than having a few more "A's" from a local CC. As long as you do well on the MCAT and have some quality ECs, it isn't likely to matter that much whether you have a 3.5 vs a 3.75. I would take the slightly lower gpa from the more reputable research university easily.

Yes, unlike the answer to "Does it really matter which US med school I go to", there is a definitive answer to this question. There usually is a significant difference in both the rigor and quality of courses taught at a community college vs a larger university where your instructor is significantly involved with the most current and sophisticated research about what he is teaching.

Sure you may have to work harder for the "A" at the larger school, but it will be well worth it. And adcoms will likely recognize this. Having a handful more "B's" from a good university will not really be seen as any worse than having a few more "A's" from a local CC. As long as you do well on the MCAT and have some quality ECs, it isn't likely to matter that much whether you have a 3.5 vs a 3.75. I would take the slightly lower gpa from the more reputable research university easily.

There's so much bro science in this post it makes my tummy tickle. I'd rather go to a CC and transfer to a UC with a 3.9/4.0 GPA than be stuck with a 3.3 from your university...but that's just me.

I think it would matter if it were a 3.5 versus a 3.75. A common trend on here is that gpa is gpa, no matter the university. This may not apply to CC, but a 3.75 from a state school is better than a 3.5 from Harvard. Unfair, maybe. But that's the game.

In regards to a CC, I think it would look odd to adcoms that you are in a four-year institution and chose to take all your prereqs at a CC. CC would probably be ok if you were a nontrad (or could not enroll in a four-year for some reason) and proved with a good MCAT score that you can handle the load. If you are in college, take the courses at your college. And do well.

I think it would matter if it were a 3.5 versus a 3.75. A common trend on here is that gpa is gpa, no matter the university. This may not apply to CC, but a 3.75 from a state school is better than a 3.5 from Harvard. Unfair, maybe. But that's the game.
Bad example using Harvard. Anyways at Harvard basically the average gpa of all graduating upperclassman is a 3.5. So having a 3.5 isn't that impressive right? Versus the state university where the average is a 3.2 and you have a 3.75. However I can probably tell you that since 90% of all Harvard graduates will get into a medical school the 3.5 is probably going to be way better off. Why? Because its Harvard. Use any other university ( any other Ivy even) and your point will be more correct.
In regards to a CC, I think it would look odd to adcoms that you are in a four-year institution and chose to take all your prereqs at a CC. CC would probably be ok if you were a nontrad (or could not enroll in a four-year for some reason) and proved with a good MCAT score that you can handle the load. If you are in college, take the courses at your college. And do well.

Well this topic has been reiterated a million times. The end result is that the traditional means of going to college and getting into medical school is bunk. Adcoms realize that more people are prone towards going to CC's especially in this economic time and in the end saving a lot of money. is important. In some states over-enrollment and underfunding due to the recession ( CA) has caused many students to be forced to go to CC's ( and realize they aren't walks in the park).
You should never do pre-reqs at another university other then the one you are enrolled in. It doesn't matter if you go to UCA and take the course at UCB. It is going to hurt you because the Adcoms will believe you went to UCB because the course is easier there ( might not even be true).
Basically nothing wrong with going to a CC and doing some sciences. But just remember to take upper level science courses just to prove to the Adcoms that you can succeed in sciences anywhere. But in the end your overall gpa and mcat score will be the biggest deciding factor in this mess.

Well this topic has been reiterated a million times. The end result is that the traditional means of going to college and getting into medical school is bunk. Adcoms realize that more people are prone towards going to CC's especially in this economic time and in the end saving a lot of money. is important. In some states over-enrollment and underfunding due to the recession ( CA) has caused many students to be forced to go to CC's ( and realize they aren't walks in the park).
You should never do pre-reqs at another university other then the one you are enrolled in. It doesn't matter if you go to UCA and take the course at UCB. It is going to hurt you because the Adcoms will believe you went to UCB because the course is easier there ( might not even be true).
Basically nothing wrong with going to a CC and doing some sciences. But just remember to take upper level science courses just to prove to the Adcoms that you can succeed in sciences anywhere. But in the end your overall gpa and mcat score will be the biggest deciding factor in this mess.

True about Harvard.

But you really hammered home the same take-home point. I definitely agree.

Take them at your school.

There's so much bro science in this post it makes my tummy tickle. I'd rather go to a CC and transfer to a UC with a 3.9/4.0 GPA than be stuck with a 3.3 from your university...but that's just me.

Well, your GPA resets, so it's always up to the student.

Well, your GPA resets, so it's always up to the student.

Wut? False.

Having a handful more "B's" from a good university will not really be seen as any worse than having a few more "A's" from a local CC. As long as you do well on the MCAT and have some quality ECs, it isn't likely to matter that much whether you have a 3.5 vs a 3.75. I would take the slightly lower gpa from the more reputable research university easily.

I'll disagree. Strongly. Long before adcoms start digging around in your application to look at individual coursework, they see your application cover page that has GPA/BCPM GPA and MCAT section scores on it. If your 3.5/MCAT gets you moved to the bottom of the pile, well you're on the bottom of the pile regardless of where you did the classes. They might never find out.

Getting them from a UC campus would be preferable, ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL. Getting A's is more important; a 3.5 and a 3.75 are not the same thing. At all.

I will agree that if you are currently enrolled at a UC, you should take the prereqs there. Otherwise, it looks like you're grubbing for an easy class. If you aren't currently matriculated at a UC, the chances of you getting an open seat in one of the prereqs right now is approximately zero, so you don't have to worry about it any way.

I'm debating on whether or not I should take them at a UC or at a CCC.

about half the schools I applied to likely cared because they make you list each pre-req and where you took them on the secondary app (even though it is already on the primary).

Wut? False.

I'll disagree. Strongly. Long before adcoms start digging around in your application to look at individual coursework, they see your application cover page that has GPA/BCPM GPA and MCAT section scores on it. If your 3.5/MCAT gets you moved to the bottom of the pile, well you're on the bottom of the pile regardless of where you did the classes. They might never find out.

Getting them from a UC campus would be preferable, ALL ELSE BEING EQUAL. Getting A's is more important; a 3.5 and a 3.75 are not the same thing. At all.

I will agree that if you are currently enrolled at a UC, you should take the prereqs there. Otherwise, it looks like you're grubbing for an easy class. If you aren't currently matriculated at a UC, the chances of you getting an open seat in one of the prereqs right now is approximately zero, so you don't have to worry about it any way.

I would have to agree with this:

#1 priority: A's
#2 priority: Where you got the A's

Just because it's #2 doesn't mean it's trivial though.

btw, at some schools they know the CC suck (and if you apply to 20 schools, you won't know which schools are prejudice).

For example, people at my university would be failing tougher Ochem/Physics, then take them at CC and get 99% without studying (take home exams and 'ish like that, lol). So I guarantee the adcom at this school will discriminate against CC.

btw, at some schools they know the CC suck (and if you apply to 20 schools, you won't know which schools are prejudice).

For example, people at my university would be failing tougher Ochem/Physics, then take them at CC and get 99% without studying (take home exams and 'ish like that, lol). So I guarantee the adcom at this school will discriminate against CC.

i would like to add that i go to a CC, and i'm a bio major, and the major prep for me to go to a uc includes all the premed requirement, so i have to take all my prereqs at a cc, but it doesnt matter because i'm going to be take hard science at a uc, for i am planning to transfer. how about those prepositions?

Your over exaggeration is stretching it to the max...It's posts like these that make me
sr_3dcfb6a913f7d0.jpg

Please aware us all on the CC that gives take home exams in Ochem & Physics where students get 99% in the class w/ no studying...please do.

Not all schools are created equal. Anyways I'd like to say epic BS. But in reality a CC which has classes like that will likely not be a CC in 10 years. Why? Because CC's have to maintain transfer agreements. If the CC sent students who aren't educated properly then the 4 year would cut off the transfer agreements.