Do medical schools filter by undergraduate, or cumulative GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedtriguy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I just checked AMCAS, and it looks like they have calculated a 2.99 GPA for my undergraduate. I have two years of >3.8 SMP GPA, but should I be concerned that schools will screen me out based on the undergraduate being below a 3.0? I have a few undergrad level courses I took in the summer while I was technically enrolled in grad school that AMCAS classified as part of my graduate GPA. Should I contact them and ask to have these reclassified as undergraduate coursework? Thanks for all the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I just checked AMCAS, and it looks like they have calculated a 2.99 GPA for my undergraduate. I have two years of >3.8 SMP GPA, but should I be concerned that schools will screen me out based on the undergraduate being below a 3.0? I have a few undergrad level courses I took in the summer while I was technically enrolled in grad school that AMCAS classified as part of my graduate GPA. Should I contact them and ask to have these reclassified as undergraduate coursework? Thanks for all the help.
You could try it.

Last edited:
cGPA is where it's at.

Note that not all med schools rward reinvention, but plenty do.

You will need DO schools on your list.

Reactions: 1 user
cGPA is where it's at.

Note that not all med schools rward reinvention, but plenty do.

You will need DO schools on your list.
Thanks! I am applying to all of my state MD programs, all of the reinventor schools as I can find(from your guide to reinvention), as well as about a dozen DO programs.