Do medical schools filter by undergraduate, or cumulative GPA?

Sep 10, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello, I just checked AMCAS, and it looks like they have calculated a 2.99 GPA for my undergraduate. I have two years of >3.8 SMP GPA, but should I be concerned that schools will screen me out based on the undergraduate being below a 3.0? I have a few undergrad level courses I took in the summer while I was technically enrolled in grad school that AMCAS classified as part of my graduate GPA. Should I contact them and ask to have these reclassified as undergraduate coursework? Thanks for all the help.

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
  1. Attending Physician
Hello, I just checked AMCAS, and it looks like they have calculated a 2.99 GPA for my undergraduate. I have two years of >3.8 SMP GPA, but should I be concerned that schools will screen me out based on the undergraduate being below a 3.0? I have a few undergrad level courses I took in the summer while I was technically enrolled in grad school that AMCAS classified as part of my graduate GPA. Should I contact them and ask to have these reclassified as undergraduate coursework? Thanks for all the help.
You could try it.

Last edited:

Goro

SDN Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
  1. Non-Student
cGPA is where it's at.

Note that not all med schools rward reinvention, but plenty do.

You will need DO schools on your list.

Reactions: 1 user
Sep 10, 2019
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
cGPA is where it's at.

Note that not all med schools rward reinvention, but plenty do.

You will need DO schools on your list.
Thanks! I am applying to all of my state MD programs, all of the reinventor schools as I can find(from your guide to reinvention), as well as about a dozen DO programs.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads