Do medical schools see the "FAmily Income Level" part of your application on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manohman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is this part for?

Wondering because my parents both had jobs but I have not had their support for some time. Not sure if i should put decline to answer.

Does your answer choice get factored into your application?

Members don't see this ad.

What is this part for?

Wondering because my parents both had jobs but I have not had their support for some time. Not sure if i should put decline to answer.

Does your answer choice get factored into your application?

These questions are about your childhood. (see page 21 of the AMCAS 2019 applicant guide) It is not used to classify students by socio-economic status ("EO" in AMCAS parlance) but it might be taken into consideration by a school in a case that is unusual -- high EO but low income, perhaps due to a highly educated but disabled and under-employed parent. It is not used for financial aid decisions but puts your educational experiences in context. If you came from a low income family and had limited opportunities in childhood, you are considered to have started well behind other students at the starting line on the first day of college. Schools will take that into account when making a "holistic review" of an application. If you choose not to answer, that information isn't available and can't be used to give you a boost.

These questions are about your childhood. (see page 21 of the AMCAS 2019 applicant guide) It is not used to classify students by socio-economic status ("EO" in AMCAS parlance) but it might be taken into consideration by a school in a case that is unusual -- high EO but low income, perhaps due to a highly educated but disabled and under-employed parent. It is not used for financial aid decisions but puts your educational experiences in context. If you came from a low income family and had limited opportunities in childhood, you are considered to have started well behind other students at the starting line on the first day of college. Schools will take that into account when making a "holistic review" of an application. If you choose not to answer, that information isn't available and can't be used to give you a boost.

So what you're saying is that it's a benefit to students who come from low economic / disadvantaged communities to help level the playing field.

To play devil's advocate on this one, would you say that it could hurt your application if you are from a very high / privileged community and your numbers/extracurriculars are not what a school would expect of someone from that socioeconomic background?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I see. I came from a high income family by the numbers but separated from then at 18 (violence, and mental health issues in parents). I purposely avoided emancipation/foster care before then because I had a younger sibling (foster care is in some ways no better than a violent home).

So it feels strange to represent the situation that way. But i dont want to declare a red flag by delcaring not to answer if that makes sense. What would you say I should do?

Many people don't answer at all or answer "don't know". Not a big deal to not answer or not to know.

Some adcoms will privately take into consideration the "to whom much is given, much is expected" but that isn't an official policy. If you don't list anything and your parents were highly educated and in professional jobs, you'll pretty much be assumed to have been in a household of above average income in your growing up years.

Many people don't answer at all or answer "don't know". Not a big deal to not answer or not to know.

Some adcoms will privately take into consideration the "to whom much is given, much is expected" but that isn't an official policy. If you don't list anything and your parents were highly educated and in professional jobs, you'll pretty much be assumed to have been in a household of above average income in your growing up years.
Hm okay that makes sense.

Would you recomend I just put their job and estimated info, and for current say i dont know.

Or to just not disclose at all (dont know or do not disclose). I briefly touch on it in my essays so im sure it will come up in interviews (i recieved a major injury growing up there).

Thanks again for responding

To continue this conversation, is there any reason an applicant shouldn't classify themselves as disadvantaged if they qualify?
I don't personally feel like I was behind my peers going in to college, but economic constraint was a significant part of growing up for me and did limit my extracurricular activities throughout my life.

To continue this conversation, is there any reason an applicant shouldn't classify themselves as disadvantaged if they qualify?
I don't personally feel like I was behind my peers going in to college, but economic constraint was a significant part of growing up for me and did limit my extracurricular activities throughout my life.

I have seen applicants laughed at behind closed doors when they make a claim on rather thin grounds. For example, the offspring of a Ivy League professor claimed to have been disadvantaged due to a lack of educational toys as a toddler living in grad student housing with mommy and daddy.

Reactions: 11 users
I have seen applicants laughed at behind closed doors when they make a claim on rather thin grounds. For example, the offspring of a Ivy League professor claimed to have been disadvantaged due to a lack of educational toys as a toddler living in grad student housing with mommy and daddy.
We like it when people make our jobs easier!!!!

Reactions: 1 users

We like it when people make our jobs easier!!!!

To be fair, living in grad student housing is a soul crushing experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone for extended periods of time.

Applicant 1: We used to dream about living in grad student housing, but we only had noisy UG dorms with 2 roommates

Applicant 2: You were lucky, we had to live in beer stench frat house with 20 drunk guys

Applicant 3: Frat House? We only had run-down, slum apartment with 25 units, half of them drug dealers

Applicant 4: We used to dream about high-clas, drug dealer neighbors....

I dream of having a computer to watch this video with. Currently, I have to work 28 hours a day so I can afford to have someone print out SDN posts on recycled pizza boxes and let me read them for precisely 23 seconds.

Reactions: 1 users

I'm in a similar situation but I'm not going to list disadvantaged just because I never really felt disadvantaged. My family would be considered pretty poor by U.S standards but it hasn't affected me much in college at all. In high school it did a little since I had to work but even then it was just part time and that was pretty normal at my school.

Edit: honestly coming into college i think it put me at an advantage rather than disadvantage just because I was used to working alongside school and was able to manage my time better

I'm in a similar situation but I'm not going to list disadvantaged just because I never really felt disadvantaged. My family would be considered pretty poor by U.S standards but it hasn't affected me much in college at all. In high school it did a little since I had to work but even then it was just part time and that was pretty normal at my school.

Edit: honestly coming into college i think it put me at an advantage rather than disadvantage just because I was used to working alongside school and was able to manage my time better

This is exactly how it was for me. I never felt disadvantaged, just busier than all my friends. I think it also helped me in college due to better time management.

This is exactly how it was for me. I never felt disadvantaged, just busier than all my friends. I think it also helped me in college due to better time management.

I also come from a pretty low-income household, but felt there was never really any barriers for my education. I didn't know what I should do though, so reading your comments have made me feel more confident about my decision to not mark that question! Thank you!