Do Medical Schools Take Community College Credit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iblunk

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do medical schools (MD program) generally take community college credit for a class if the four year university you're enrolled in accepts that credit? I know that most med schools want 1 year of english. I was planning on taking 1/2 of those units at a community and then transferring them to UCSD, which they accept as credit for their english course requirement. If anyone knows please let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

Do medical schools (MD program) generally take community college credit for a class if the four year university you're enrolled in accepts that credit? I know that most med schools want 1 year of english. I was planning on taking 1/2 of those units at a community and then transferring them to UCSD, which they accept as credit for their english course requirement. If anyone knows please let me know!

Most of them do, especially for classes like english and math. For your sciences, it may vary a little bit. Check out some of the schools you are looking in to and send them an email to ask before you get too far along with your pre-reqs.

My experience has been that a few pre-reqs at community college doesn't hurt, especially if you do really weel once you transfer to a 4yr university and do well on the MCAT.

There is nothing wrong with taking some classes at CC. I did 2 years at a community school. As long as you take many upper level science courses at a university and do well in them, you'll be fine. This may not be the optimum choice, but in my opinion if you take enough upper level courses at the university, CC classes will hurt you very little, if at all. Probably not at all at MOST schools. Then again, if your heart is set on Harvard/ Hopkins, etc., it would probably be smart to stick to the university.

Members don't see this ad :)

I took an overwhelming number of courses at a cc before I transferred to UCSD. It never came up during any of my interviews. The only concern with cc classes is that if you already go to a 4 year uni and go back to take classes at a cc to finish pre-reqs, it will seem like you were looking for an easy grade.

Nice, thanks for the help guys! :)

I transferred my jc credit for math and english to UCSD also, and no med school has ever even brought it up during interviews. Seems to be a non-issue unless you take ALL your premed classes at JC, then that might raise some flags. Good luck!

Hey guys,

I am actually applying now and found out most medical schools do not accept my second semester of general chemistry.. so I have to take it again. Problem is, some schools require us to be finish with the pre-reqs by December and I can only take the course at a community college. So my transcript would be 4 years in UC Berkeley --> 1 year in Calstate Los Angeles (post-bac) --> 1 semester at a JC

I know it looks bad but do you know if most medical schools would accept G. Chem credit from a JC?

Thanks

Most of them do, especially for classes like english and math. For your sciences, it may vary a little bit. Check out some of the schools you are looking in to and send them an email to ask before you get too far along with your pre-reqs.

My experience has been that a few pre-reqs at community college doesn't hurt, especially if you do really weel once you transfer to a 4yr university and do well on the MCAT.

This^ .. I took English, Speech, and Spanish at a CC and AMCAS adds it into your cumulative gpa