1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Do Medical Schools WANT you to take out loans?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by drmoon, Feb 12, 2002.

1. drmoon

drmoon Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I've heard that they might prefer a student who is planning to take out loans because the schools make money as opposed to a student who already has the resources. If true, do you think they might discriminate based on this?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Medic171

Medic171 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    why the hell would they care where you get your tuition money from?

4. Boomer

Boomer Supreme Sooner Member
    15+ Year Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by drmoon:
    <strong>I've heard that they might prefer a student who is planning to take out loans because the schools make money as opposed to a student who already has the resources. If true, do you think they might discriminate based on this?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">The only way schools make money off your loans is if you list them as your lender. Then, they make the money off your origination and guarantee fees. However, there is nothing that requires you to use your schoool as your lender.

5. DO/MBA

DO/MBA Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't see it, but who knows. Some will make a quick buck with an emergency loan. The only advantage I see is they know they are getting their cash if you borrow. As opposed to bouncing a check.

6. LoanGrl

LoanGrl Member
    7+ Year Member

Unless you take out loans with a lender who HAS no origination or guarantee fees, like NOWLoans. (Obviously I'm with NOWLoans!) ;-)And just for the record, schools don't care where your money comes from, as long as your tuition is paid! Good luck!