DO + MHA or MBA ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JaggerPlate

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm sorry if I'm starting a thread with some fairly similar topics, but I need to finish an application (or not) regarding a Masters soon, and needed to ask some specific questions regarding my situation. Basically, I'm attending an old, well-known, DO school next year, and they have the option to do an MHA through the University, which is online, catered to med students schedules, and accredited. Now, I've always been interested in med/business, and I think the two options I'd shoot for, as of now, would be doing some medical consulting work for insurance companies (the docs who review cases and essentially serve as expert witnesses with regards to the company paying for the medical services), or some type of hospital management position in the far future. My questions are:

1. Is there really anything I couldn't do with the MHA as long as I networked well, made good contacts, and worked hard, that I could do with an MBA?
2. Would it be worth it to seek a healthcare focused MBA elsewhere compared to the MHA which would be catered around my schedule and inexpensive?
3. Do you think there would be any bias towards the D.O. degree with respect to insurance company or hospital management jobs (regionally or otherwise)?
4. Is there a type of residency that is best for these insurance medical expert positions (or hospital admin either)? I mean, can I do a residency in anything and still expect the same opportunities, or are their fields that add extra incentives?

Thank you. Any replies from people with experience, suggestions, or even just opinions are obviously welcomed. Again, sorry if there are similar threads, I'm on a bit of a deadline!!

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody??? I'm in a little bit of a time sensitive situation. Would really appreciate all/any responses.

Hello,

1. Is there really anything I couldn't do with the MHA as long as I networked well, made good contacts, and worked hard, that I could do with an MBA?
2. Would it be worth it to seek a healthcare focused MBA elsewhere compared to the MHA which would be catered around my schedule and inexpensive?
3. Do you think there would be any bias towards the D.O. degree with respect to insurance company or hospital management jobs (regionally or otherwise)?
4. Is there a type of residency that is best for these insurance medical expert positions (or hospital admin either)? I mean, can I do a residency in anything and still expect the same opportunities, or are their fields that add extra incentives?

im not a doctor, so i cant answer 4 or even 3, but from what ive seen, the DO vs MD debate is pretty much a non issue these days...healthcare focused MBA? ehh, if you have the mha option , go for that

on 1) depends what kind of consulting you want to do, if theres finances involved, then def do the mba....but if you want to go into hosp admin, then i would go with the mha

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked into MHA vs MBA a couple months back and it seemed like the general consensus was that an MBA was a wiser choice as it is not as limiting as the MHA. But, if you can get an MHA through your school without toooo much work and it is cheap. By all means go for it. You can always do an executive MBA in the future if the MHA is too limiting for your tastes.

With regards to the DO degree being a problem. Im sure it all depends upon the institution and how many old school doctors are on staff there.

Thanks for the replies. That's a good point about being able to get an MBA later. I guess I never really thought of it that way. Will probably get the ball rolling on the MHA for now. Again, all/any advice welcome!!

let me put it this way, if you want health admin, do mha

if you arent sure what you want with 2nd degree, do mba as it is more flexible

frankly, if i were u id get the do/mha and jump into admin

Do you know of any one year MHA programs? My search doesn't show that many MHA programs out there.

Do you know of any one year MHA programs? My search doesn't show that many MHA programs out there.

Mine is technically like 18 months if you really get with the program. I'm doing it in conjunction with my medical degree, so it will probably take me closer to two years.

In case anyone was wondering ... I went ahead and signed up for the MHA program. I figure it's going to be up to me to network, prove myself, offer something unique, etc. I'd still love any replies on good vs bad fields for things like hosptial admin or (especially) consulting on cases for insurance companies.

I think you made a wise decision...I saw on another thread that your going to ATSU...I was very torn between ATSU and UNECOM. I really enjoyed my interviews/tour at ATSU, but decided on UNECOM.

Good luck...I hope the MHA program treats you well.

I think you made a wise decision...I saw on another thread that your going to ATSU...I was very torn between ATSU and UNECOM. I really enjoyed my interviews/tour at ATSU, but decided on UNECOM.

Good luck...I hope the MHA program treats you well.

Thanks, I actually start it in like two weeks (gonna sneak a few quarters of MHA in before I start KCOM in the fall)

Mine is technically like 18 months if you really get with the program. I'm doing it in conjunction with my medical degree, so it will probably take me closer to two years.

In case anyone was wondering ... I went ahead and signed up for the MHA program. I figure it's going to be up to me to network, prove myself, offer something unique, etc. I'd still love any replies on good vs bad fields for things like hosptial admin or (especially) consulting on cases for insurance companies.

good choice, you will have plenty of opportunities as a result :thumbup: