Do Most GSurg Programs require 3 or 4 LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blitz2006

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I"m seeing threads where ppl are asking about "4th LOR"...I just assumed most programs only required 3? I know there is a 4th slot on ERAS......but how many applicants actually fill it? Most programs require only 3 right?

Here's a dumb question as well. Is it better to have 4 or 3 LORs? As in, will PDs even look at the 4th or just stop at 3?

I'm pretty sure I can get 3 Surgeon LORs...but the 4th LOR might be tough. Would it be better to have 3 Surgeon LORs and 1 Gastroenterology LOR or just leave it at 3 Surgeon LORs?

Cause I will definitley have 1-2 Gastro LORs...

Cheers,

Members don't see this ad.

I"m seeing threads where ppl are asking about "4th LOR"...I just assumed most programs only required 3? I know there is a 4th slot on ERAS......but how many applicants actually fill it? Most programs require only 3 right?

Here's a dumb question as well. Is it better to have 4 or 3 LORs? As in, will PDs even look at the 4th or just stop at 3?

I'm pretty sure I can get 3 Surgeon LORs...but the 4th LOR might be tough. Would it be better to have 3 Surgeon LORs and 1 Gastroenterology LOR or just leave it at 3 Surgeon LORs?

Cause I will definitley have 1-2 Gastro LORs...

Cheers,

Most programs do require 3 but will accept 4... very few actually require 4. Most programs require a letter from your chairman, which in my case, was through a meeting I had with the chairman (so it's more of a generic letter than one from experience working with me). So, I wanted to send in 4 because I felt like that would be 3 "real" letters plus my chairman letter.

Regarding sending in a GI letter, I would NOT unless this is someone who's known you for a couple of years and can speak to numerous aspects of your candidacy (research, clinical work, personality, etc). Even then, some will tell you not to send it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that,

BTW, I'm a British IMG...so what exactly is a 'chairman'? And would this chairman requirement to IMGs as well? Or would it be better to just throw in a surgeon LOR that I rotated with?

Most programs do require 3 but will accept 4... very few actually require 4. Most programs require a letter from your chairman, which in my case, was through a meeting I had with the chairman (so it's more of a generic letter than one from experience working with me). So, I wanted to send in 4 because I felt like that would be 3 "real" letters plus my chairman letter.

Regarding sending in a GI letter, I would NOT unless this is someone who's known you for a couple of years and can speak to numerous aspects of your candidacy (research, clinical work, personality, etc). Even then, some will tell you not to send it.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for that,

BTW, I'm a British IMG...so what exactly is a 'chairman'? And would this chairman requirement to IMGs as well? Or would it be better to just throw in a surgeon LOR that I rotated with?

The chairman letter is a letter you get from the chairman of your surgery department. Here, we meet with out chairman in August, and they write a letter based on our application/discussion. Most academic places that I've looked at require it (based on their websites). I'm not sure what their policy is for IMG. You'll have to call/email programs and/or ask a IMG who has been through this before you.

Thanks for that,

The chairman is like the head of the department of the surgery. I don't know what the equivalent is called in the UK. I think it can only help you to have a letter of recommendation from that person. Some programs even require it. If you're not sure and it doesn't say on the program website, I would probably just contact the program directly.