Do most medical schools favor their own residents for fellowship/professorship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Do most medical schools favor their own residents for fellowship/professorship?

• Total voters

halcyon_

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you're interested in academic medicine and have a specific institution in mind, is it in your best interest to try to match there for residency? I have heard mixed things in terms of grad schools in general (ex.: certain fields/programs prefer to recruit professors from other schools in order to get people with a diversity of experience). In particular, I'm wondering about University of Washington.

Members don't see this ad.

Sing along, you know the words..."it depends".

Schools/hospitals are not monolithic and it will break down not to just the hospital, but the department, or the division. So while the Cards division may have a preference for locals, the GI division may not.

No way to know so just go where you want to go, do what you want to do and land where you can.

Reactions: 1 users
They will know you better. If you’re good this will help you. If you’re a slacker this will hurt you.

I’ve seen it work both ways among many different departments at my institution(s) and that is the best I can sum it up.

Reactions: 3 users
I just graduated fellowship and have been involved with fellowship interviews and rank list decisions during my fellowship.

If someone is a good resident and applies for our specialty, we want them for the fellowship because they're known, they know the system--it's easier all around. But we've also had some not-so-good residents that we've worked with who wanted our specialty for fellowship. We still interviewed and ranked them, but they were dramatically less preferred than if they had been an external candidate. We also get some amazing outside applicants that we would really like and can rank above our internal applicants.

For jobs, my division director told me he'd give me the open position if I wanted to stay even though there were other applicants interested in it. One of the fellows who is getting ready to graduate was on the other side of that, interviewing at places where they had an internal candidate that was preferred, but hadn't made a final decision yet. That said, we have some fellows that we would not be inclined to make a position for if they wanted to stay.

One of my friends from residency couldn't get the support of our home program to apply to a specific specialty and I think they burned a lot of bridges as a student in that division. They went elsewhere to work for a year and got amazing letters and are now finishing up fellowship at a good program and going to do a super fellowship next year at another good program.

So, 100% works both ways even within the same division.

Reactions: 2 users
In many cases, it can be a useful advantage. It depends though. The process is usually highly political.

Good internal candidates:
-Play nice with others
-Do not intimidate those making decisions

Bad Candidates:
-Have rubbed committee members the wrong way which is frankly much worse than being an unknown quantity.

Reactions: 1 user