SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Do most people wait until May 1 to give up extra spot?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by LoF27, Mar 4, 2007.

  1. LoF27

    LoF27 2+ Year Member

    Nov 4, 2006
    Do you think most people holding spots at more than one school wait until May 1 before they withdraw the extra admission(s)? Personally, I am holding a spot at two different schools, and although I'm 90% sure I've made my decision, I kinda feel like, "well, I paid a lot of deposit money to give myself time to make the best decision I can, what's the rush to decide before I have to?" Only I feel bad because I know that my indecision is causing someone else, who maybe hasn't been admitted anywhere yet, to agonize over his/her future. On the flip side, I too am waiting to hear back from other schools and am hoping that other people make up their minds already! so that I can know all MY options and get decisions back from those schools I'm waiting on.

    This whole game is so ridiculous. There must be an easier way...once I'm an ADEA member, I'm going to start lobbying for termination of the rolling admissions process. It needlessly drags out this whole thing and makes it very painful for applicants.

    p.s. do you think we should start an "Official 'I just gave up my spot'" thread?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. zebrafish

    zebrafish 2+ Year Member

    Mar 3, 2007
    I think that idea great! so at least we can all know how many spots are opening at which schools. You get an A+:)
  4. dizzle23x

    dizzle23x 10+ Year Member

    Sep 12, 2005
    the game is simple...

    1. x school vs y school? make a decision. if x, go to step 2. if y, go to step 3.
    2. no more acceptances? game over. go to x school. z accepted you? x vs z. make a decision.
    3. no more acceptances? game over. go to y school. z accepted you? y vs z. make a decision.

    it's not that hard to make an informed decision when you're only comparing two schools and you don't really need all that much time. make a decision so other people can get their one and only acceptance. and no, i did not wait till may to give up my spots.
  5. Speeddater

    Speeddater 2+ Year Member

    Dec 8, 2006

    Thank you my fellow Humanitarian, & to all my fellow waitlistees in the struggle, keep your heads up along with the faith, our day is coming, I can JUST FEEL IT!!!!! :)
  6. OceanBlue

    OceanBlue HA! I knew it. 2+ Year Member

    Feb 21, 2007
    gave up my spots a long time ago!
  7. shamrock2006

    shamrock2006 5+ Year Member

    Oct 9, 2006
    Nowhere and Everywhere
    I'm going to give up my spot as soon as I get some written confirmation that I have been officially enrolled at the other school. Just to be safe. So yes, i'm holding 2 spots..but will be dropping one as soon as the other gets back to me.
  8. gatormichigan

    gatormichigan 7+ Year Member

    Oct 31, 2006
    I have a friend who is holding 2 spots and well she really hasnt made up her mind. But I think if people have made up their minds they need to start making phone calls to those schools
  9. dentalhubby


    Mar 1, 2007
    90 % sure you're attending 1 school vs. allowing a student on the waitlist or single admission to suffer for the luxury of an extra few months to change your mind for a 10 % chance. This sounds easy enough. If you were 50-50, then I could completely understand, but 90 - 10, sounds like you're mind is made up. The choice itself is creating the indecision of the remaining 10 %.
  10. jim85213

    jim85213 Dentist 10+ Year Member

    Jun 12, 2006
    Are any of them ASDOH? If so, gimme gimme.
  11. Gsman

    Gsman 2+ Year Member

    Jan 11, 2007
    i got into my first choice so i cancelled 2 interviews today. hope someone gets them (maryland and detroit).


Share This Page