Do most people wait until May 1 to give up extra spot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoF27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think most people holding spots at more than one school wait until May 1 before they withdraw the extra admission(s)? Personally, I am holding a spot at two different schools, and although I'm 90% sure I've made my decision, I kinda feel like, "well, I paid a lot of deposit money to give myself time to make the best decision I can, what's the rush to decide before I have to?" Only I feel bad because I know that my indecision is causing someone else, who maybe hasn't been admitted anywhere yet, to agonize over his/her future. On the flip side, I too am waiting to hear back from other schools and am hoping that other people make up their minds already! so that I can know all MY options and get decisions back from those schools I'm waiting on.

This whole game is so ridiculous. There must be an easier way...once I'm an ADEA member, I'm going to start lobbying for termination of the rolling admissions process. It needlessly drags out this whole thing and makes it very painful for applicants.

p.s. do you think we should start an "Official 'I just gave up my spot'" thread?

Members don't see this ad.

p.s. do you think we should start an "Official 'I just gave up my spot'" thread?
I think that idea great! so at least we can all know how many spots are opening at which schools. You get an A+:)

the game is simple...

1. x school vs y school? make a decision. if x, go to step 2. if y, go to step 3.
2. no more acceptances? game over. go to x school. z accepted you? x vs z. make a decision.
3. no more acceptances? game over. go to y school. z accepted you? y vs z. make a decision.

it's not that hard to make an informed decision when you're only comparing two schools and you don't really need all that much time. make a decision so other people can get their one and only acceptance. and no, i did not wait till may to give up my spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
the game is simple...

1. x school vs y school? make a decision. if x, go to step 2. if y, go to step 3.
2. no more acceptances? game over. go to x school. z accepted you? x vs z. make a decision.
3. no more acceptances? game over. go to y school. z accepted you? y vs z. make a decision.

it's not that hard to make an informed decision when you're only comparing two schools and you don't really need all that much time. make a decision so other people can get their one and only acceptance. and no, i did not wait till may to give up my spots.

Thank you my fellow Humanitarian, & to all my fellow waitlistees in the struggle, keep your heads up along with the faith, our day is coming, I can JUST FEEL IT!!!!! :)

Do you think most people holding spots at more than one school wait until May 1 before they withdraw the extra admission(s)? Personally, I am holding a spot at two different schools, and although I'm 90% sure I've made my decision, I kinda feel like, "well, I paid a lot of deposit money to give myself time to make the best decision I can, what's the rush to decide before I have to?" Only I feel bad because I know that my indecision is causing someone else, who maybe hasn't been admitted anywhere yet, to agonize over his/her future. On the flip side, I too am waiting to hear back from other schools and am hoping that other people make up their minds already! so that I can know all MY options and get decisions back from those schools I'm waiting on.

This whole game is so ridiculous. There must be an easier way...once I'm an ADEA member, I'm going to start lobbying for termination of the rolling admissions process. It needlessly drags out this whole thing and makes it very painful for applicants.

gave up my spots a long time ago!

I'm going to give up my spot as soon as I get some written confirmation that I have been officially enrolled at the other school. Just to be safe. So yes, i'm holding 2 spots..but will be dropping one as soon as the other gets back to me.

I have a friend who is holding 2 spots and well she really hasnt made up her mind. But I think if people have made up their minds they need to start making phone calls to those schools

90 % sure you're attending 1 school vs. allowing a student on the waitlist or single admission to suffer for the luxury of an extra few months to change your mind for a 10 % chance. This sounds easy enough. If you were 50-50, then I could completely understand, but 90 - 10, sounds like you're mind is made up. The choice itself is creating the indecision of the remaining 10 %.

i got into my first choice so i cancelled 2 interviews today. hope someone gets them (maryland and detroit).

goodluck