1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

do most schools accept AP credit

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Chankovsky, Mar 20, 2004.

1. I'm particularly worried about my general bio because I APed out of it. I know some schools don't accept AP, but I think most do.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No, I think most schools do not.

4. yayme

yayme Member
    7+ Year Member

i'm pretty sure most schools don't either. you should call and ask each school to be sure.

5. Trekkie963

Trekkie963 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Most schools DO accept AP credit, if you have pursued advanced coursework in the topic during college. So if you APed out of bio, you should be fine so long as you took an upper-level biology course at some point during your college career.

6. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Well, HMS lets you use AP to meet parts of some of the requirements. UCLA does not allow any AP. So, it depends. Definitely check with the schools you're interested in.

7. IrishOarsman

IrishOarsman My Rx: Guiness
    7+ Year Member

Trekkie is certainly right that if you take a college course (bio for bio, chem for chem etc) at a level higher than intro because of AP the schools love that.

However, I AP'd physics and that did not matter but for one school I looked at (mainly 1st tier schools). Yet, physics is the "least essential" college science for the 1st year med student so I would anticipate you would have much more difficulty ap'ing biology (chem might be okay b/c orgo relies upon gen chem to some degree). For the final word, email adcom members.

Good luck.

8. menemotxi

menemotxi Stalker
    7+ Year Member

Beware that Vanderbilt does not accept AP credit for any of its general ed requirements. There are very strict about it, so that marked them off my list.

The University of Chicago is kinda shady about it and you gotta get some kind of waiver from the admissions committee. They won't really tell you much.

Most schools do not care about it from my experiences. I AP'ed out of English and Gen Chem. for the record.

9. ASDIC

ASDIC The 9th Flotilla
    15+ Year Member

Medical Student
    if schools reject applicants just because they APed out of a course, they will be losing some fine applicants!

10. docmemi

docmemi 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

in general, NO!

11. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

Schools dont care for the most part. I APed out of my Bio, Chem, Physics, Math, and English requirements and no school make a second mention of it.

I took upper level Bio and Chem though, as well as an additional Math and English class for curricular reasons related to my school.

Schools don't care as long as you do well on the MCAT and have the actual APs credited on your transcript as an actual class. Talk to your premed advisor though, since undergrad schools vary on how they treat APs on your transcript.