Do most schools require a letter of recommendation from a doctor?

virtuoso735

7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2011
California
Status
Medical Student
Do most schools require a letter of recommendation from a physician, or is it only generally recommended that you have one from a doctor? Would it be a huge blow to my application if I don't have a letter from a physician?

Praefectus

MS-0
Mar 30, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Nope. For virtually all schools, you need a letter from your pre-med/pre-health committee or individually submitted letters from 2 science and 1 non-science professors. It would help, but it wouldn't necessarily hurt.

EBTrailRunner

7+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I'd say most applicants don't have a LOR from a physician. I didn't and it didn't affect my competitiveness. I think it's more important to have strong letters from your pre-health committee and/or instructors and clear evidence of clinical exposure.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
Camp SDN: The Place for Summer Fun
Do most schools require a letter of recommendation from a physician, or is it only generally recommended that you have one from a doctor? Would it be a huge blow to my application if I don't have a letter from a physician?
Most MD schools do not require a physician LOR, but some premed committees do, and some DO med schools do.

OP
virtuoso735

virtuoso735

7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2011
California
Status
Medical Student
Ok, thanks. I think I should be able to get a DO letter and will be applying to DO schools also. Glad to hear an MD letter is not required.