Do multiple acceptances increase the likelihood of a scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

subdermallight

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do schools actually fight over you with one another?

Members don't see this ad.

No, not necessarily. Not every school has the same funding. Also, different scholarships have different requirements that you may not qualify for. You may have something unique that one school really likes that another doesn’t appreciate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Especially this year since schools will have incomplete information that at best will only show you have been accepted elsewhere without identifying the school. In many cases they will have no information as it is unlikely there will be uniform usage in the new AMCAS “plan/commit” tool for both acceptees and schools.
So this is news to me, I just read up on it here https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...c-amcas-tool-choosing-your-medical-school.pdf

So, I’m having difficulty figuring out why this new tool is useful as an applicant? Or even as a school?

So is it useless hoarding acceptances ?

What a mess... Curious to see how this pans out --

Reactions: 1 user
This "Choosing Your School" tool, as the previous AMCAS Acceptance Reports it replaces are used primarily as way to insure that all available seats in a medical school class are filled and not left empty. It is for managing enrollment. It serves a minor function for acceptees as a central point to communicate which school they will attend. The previous acceptance reports showed the medical school which other medical schools the applicant had been accepted. This current version will only show that the applicant has been accepted elsewhere, but will not identify any school by name. (originally it was going to do that but apparently have pulled that function out).

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...c-amcas-tool-choosing-your-medical-school.pdf
The AAMC American Medical College Application Service ® (AMCAS ®) created this tool to help applicants communicate their decisions about which schools they plan to attend and to support the schools’ enrollment management. Schools will only be able to access information about their accepted and alternate-list (waitlist) applicants
I thought, with the new rule, schools will not know if a student has been accepted somewhere. So by February, they will know which of their accepted students/waitlists have other acceptances but they just will not know where. What’s the point of that?

Reactions: 1 users
Anecdotally, I know of schools which have matched the scholarship of other schools when pushed to. However, this applicant was a stupidly qualified and the schools in question have a reputation of "stealing" students from one another.

Anecdotally, I know of schools which have matched the scholarship of other schools when pushed to. However, this applicant was a stupidly qualified and the schools in question have a reputation of "stealing" students from one another.

I've also heard of scholarship matching, one that comes to mind is a classmate who received acceptances to two schools in the same area, a scholarship from the much less prestigious institution, and the more prestigious institution matched it.

With the availability of multiple acceptance reports, some mid tier and low tier schools offered merit scholarships to some students in the past. This troubled institutions like Johns Hopkins, Harvard , Stanford etc. They couldn’t stomach a few middle class and upper middle class students get some merit scholarships and thereby reduce their loans. They teamed up together and forced/bribed AAMC to keep those reports away from the schools. Of course, AAMC obliged. Who cares about the students ? In America, it is always the powerful that matters.
Merit-based aid may be detrimental to future of medicine, medical school leaders say

With the availability of multiple acceptance reports, some mid tier and low tier schools offered merit scholarships to some students in the past. This troubled institutions like Johns Hopkins, Harvard , Stanford etc. They couldn’t stomach a few middle class and upper middle class students get some merit scholarships and thereby reduce their loans. They teamed up together and forced/bribed AAMC to keep those reports away from the schools. Of course, AAMC obliged. Who cares about the students ? In America, it is always the powerful that matters.
Merit-based aid may be detrimental to future of medicine, medical school leaders say
This makes no sense. Those top schools already give their students a ridiculous amount of money. Plus they have name brand power. Makes me wonder who would actually turn down an acceptance from a top school to go to a low tier one

Also I’m pretty sure the AAMC operates by influence not law. There’s no absolute rule that says every school must follow xyz rules. They’re usually all guidelines that each school decides to accept or the aamc annoys them for a while to get them to accept their changes

That new AAMC tool looks fascinating. Sounds like "plan to enroll" is non-committal but visible to both the selected school, and the unselected competing schools.

Makes me wonder if there might be a benefit to faking out your actual top choice, if they're known for giving $$$. For example, say you're from the midwest and your dream school is WashU, and you get admitted there as well as Duke.

Seems like a clever applicant would mark "plan to enroll" at Duke, knowing it will be visible to WashU and could elicit some recruitment money. If it doesn't, NBD, because it was non-committal and they can just switch it over to "plan to enroll" at WashU right before the April 30 deadline.

But while WashU can see you have chosen to enroll elsewhere, they will only know that status. They will not know which school or indeed how many acceptances you have overall. So unless a school really wants you, the use of leveraging acceptances from other schools, especially “prestigious” ones, would seem minor at best
Hmm good point. I have to imagine WashU would believe they had real competition though, prestigious or not. And with no multiple acceptance report to use, trawling through the AAMC tool to see which desirable candidates currently planned to go elsewhere is their only option right? Otherwise they're throwing $50k/yr darts, blindfolded.

But while WashU can see you have chosen to enroll elsewhere, they will only know that status. They will not know which school or indeed how many acceptances you have overall. So unless a school really wants you, the use of leveraging acceptances from other schools, especially “prestigious” ones, would seem minor at best
I can see a lot of people misusing this fact to leverage money. If the other school can’t see which school you’re accepted to, there doesn’t seem much to stop people from claiming they got into top names

It also seems like LOIs with name drops are gonna be super important

Can other schools only see which one you marked ‘plan to enroll”? Aren’t there 3-4 other options? Can they not see that you’ve marked those too and conclude that you have multiple offers

-lastly, despite all this speculation, schools use this data for enrollment planning as in aggregate numbers of acceptances that should be offerred and depth of waitlists in order to fill every seat. Schools rarely, if at all, make individual acceptance or FA offers based on this data. It is one of those near myths that premeds have.
Accepts nah, and need-based aid offers nah, but merit packages? There's no way the merit scholarship committee was meeting without a Multiple Acceptance Report on the table