Do Neurologists have the one of the lowest board passing rate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neurologo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was checking out "beat the board" site for my initial board exam and saw this there:

"the pass rate for this exam in 2014 was 79% and 78% in 2013."

Is this true? I hear the board exam is much easier than RITEs. Any reason why the pass rate may be so low?
It looks like everyone from my program passes, but this national pass rate, if true, is interesting to note.
Is it simply because neuro board is just harder than other specialties?
What have been your experiences?
I remember reading one poster here who considered neuro board/recert exam to be a joke and used the analogy of testing a professional basketball player to hold and bounce the ball. Obviously an exaggeration but his point was that it is easy.

By the way, the price of that course, $1097, is outrageous and I won't be needing it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It didn't seem unreasonable to me in terms of difficulty, but I've never been boarded in another specialty to compare. I doubt there are many people out there who can speak from personal experience on that topic. An 80% pass rate sounds pretty normal to me. I doubt people who fail spend much time talking about it. I would be surprised if any approved board was allowed to give a super easy test that everyone passed. I would bet they're all around the same pass rates, but I don't have the data in front of me.