DO Neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
K

Kannen1979

Does anyone know how competitive the DO neurosurgery programs, especially the one in Bloomington, IL are? What do they look for--research experience, board scores, grades, rich parents willing to make a big donation? (Just Kidding!!!!) :D

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Kannen1979 said:
... rich parents willing to make a big donation?

It can't hurt. This happens a lot I suspect... :rolleyes:

I am interested in neurosurgery, and I can tell you it depends mostly on the program........I got back my board scores, both usmle and comlex, and found out that I am borderline for both allopathic and osteopathic. Most places told me, however, that they don't have a "bottom-end" board score they use to separate applications, and that they look at the whole applicant. Really high board scores help you get an interview, but so does rotating through that hospital and doing a really good job while your there. So what I"m going to do is apply to a bunch of places, rotate at the ones I'm interested in and then cross my fingers. Another option is to go general surgery or traditional rotating intership for one year, then re-apply for neurosurgery after that!

Good luck!

cremaster2007 said:
I am interested in neurosurgery, and I can tell you it depends mostly on the program........I got back my board scores, both usmle and comlex, and found out that I am borderline for both allopathic and osteopathic. Most places told me, however, that they don't have a "bottom-end" board score they use to separate applications, and that they look at the whole applicant. Really high board scores help you get an interview, but so does rotating through that hospital and doing a really good job while your there. So what I"m going to do is apply to a bunch of places, rotate at the ones I'm interested in and then cross my fingers. Another option is to go general surgery or traditional rotating intership for one year, then re-apply for neurosurgery after that!

Good luck!

what scores are considered borderline?