Do Nontraditional Applicants have an Advantage/Disadvantage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kawi609

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any advantages or disadvantages for being a nontraditional applicant? I'm a bio major and after high school I missed 5 years before attending college. Does that make me nontraditional?

What will I benefit out of being a nontraditional student?

Members don't see this ad.

You would be considered non trad but how you benefit depends on what you've learned/done in that time. Most non trads have had a job or some other real world responsibility like kids that should in theory make them a more mature individual. Those who have done well have the advantage of being able to demonstrate a skill set that most traditional students can't really lay claim to. Conversely, if the non trad has spent the last 5 years sponging off their parents and playing xbox, well then that's probably not probably going to look very good on application, lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any advantages or disadvantages for being a nontraditional applicant? I'm a bio major and after high school I missed 5 years before attending college. Does that make me nontraditional?

What will I benefit out of being a nontraditional student?

Yes you are a nontrad.

It's both an advantage and disadvantage and a lot will depends on how you package yourself. That depends mostly on how much you can make yourself look like a traditional student academically/gpa, LOR's, etc.

Advantages are often maturity, knowing what you want and life experience to know for sure, life experience for EC's, re-invention can be rewarded, etc

Disadvantages: Nontrads sometimes struggle getting back into the academic routine, sometimes gpa's have weaknesses that are difficult to overcome, some med schools have a bias toward those who have a certain cookie cutter profile, etc

Good luck

The bolded is the most important thing.

To disadvantages, one might add lack of research experience. Key word is "might" because adcoms know that non-trads have lives too.

Yes you are a nontrad.

It's both an advantage and disadvantage and a lot will depends on how you package yourself. That depends mostly on how much you can make yourself look like a traditional student academically/gpa, LOR's, etc.

Advantages are often maturity, knowing what you want and life experience to know for sure, life experience for EC's, re-invention can be rewarded, etc

Disadvantages: Nontrads sometimes struggle getting back into the academic routine, sometimes gpa's have weaknesses that are difficult to overcome, some med schools have a bias toward those who have a certain cookie cutter profile, etc

Good luck