This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
California sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On my list of states I would want to live in, I think California would be at the bottom at number 50. Dentists make crap, they have the second highest tax burden (second only to New York), and the second highest housing cost (second to Hawaii).

But yeah, New York also sucks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll stick to living in the NYC area, and making a living here. Can't deal with the rural life, I'd probably die.

On my list of states I would want to live in, I think California would be at the bottom at number 50. Dentists make crap, they have the second highest tax burden (second only to New York), and the second highest housing cost (second to Hawaii).

But yeah, New York also sucks.

Cool story bro, enjoy the cows you live with in the middle of nowhere.

Members don't see this ad :)

You definitely sound like a level headed individual. Gonna be a great dentist

Reactions: 4 users
You definitely sound like a level headed individual. Gonna be a great dentist

This is a forum, not a working environment but okay. Whatever floats your boat. He says NY sux due to cost of living but the amenities offered cover for that and for the fact that you're living in/near NYC depending what part of NY, Heck even Jersey and Connecticut are expensive to live in if you're within NYC range. CT is more expensive than most NY Suburbs. Now I can understand that people have their own pov of where they would live. Personally I would live near NYC just like the guy complaining about NY would live somewhere else.

Reactions: 2 users
If Phoenix, AZ or Dallas, Tx is considered middle of nowhere by some people, wonder what category would kingman, AZ or Odessa, TX fall in?

Reactions: 1 users
If Phoenix, AZ or Dallas, Tx is considered middle of nowhere by some people, wonder what category would kingman, AZ or Odessa, TX fall in?

Don't know who would consider those places the middle of nowhere. Just a different setting.

I'm ready keep it coming :corny:

Some people on forums :slap:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll stick to living in the NYC area, and making a living here. Can't deal with the rural life, I'd probably die.

I've lived in NYC, as well as many other cities across the country. I can tell you that I will NEVER live in the city, or the boroughs ever again. EVER.
City life exists outside of NYC. Traffic, nightlife, restaurants, anything you want. It's not all cows once you get outside a 30 mile radius of Times Square.

Reactions: 3 users
Prove to me one way in which is wrong. I can guarantee it isn't.
like the other poster said, check 2017 medscape. Average primary care only 216k, average specialty 317k. And their hours are much worse than dentistry for most specialties, and even PCP has worse hours than general dent (45-50 hours including paperwork vs general dent around 36-40). Taking into account the resident thing, general dent beats PCP by a lot and it's ceiling is higher than some med specialties if you're ok working 5 days a week or are proactive or find a good location. And the specialties in dentistry beat out almost all the med ones with fewer hours worked.

Caveat is saturation is definitely a thing (as this thread is saying), and general dent income has been declining in recent years. With corporations too, not sure how general dent will look 10+ years in the future.

I'll take earnings over living in NYC or Cali any day. Once you have kids living in the city is a waste. You can still have a life not living in the city.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am a NYC suburbs girl(not that ****hole known as Long Island thank god) and as much as I love the city I agree that I would never ever live there again, let alone work there. It's not exactly more affordable in the 'burbs either but **** that commute, if nothing else

I'll take earnings over living in NYC or Cali any day. Once you have kids living in the city is a waste. You can still have a life not living in the city.

by living Cali you mean SF and LA? Like New York State itself people could always move deeper inland. While the taxes suck the housing is a fourth/fifth of what you can find in the Silicon Valley. People in Auburn County, CA aren't exactly the national stereotype of Californians either.

by living Cali you mean SF and LA? Like New York State itself people could always move deeper inland. While the taxes suck the housing is a fourth/fifth of what you can find in the Silicon Valley. People in Auburn County, CA aren't exactly the national stereotype of Californians either.

You'd have to go relatively far up north from the city I think.

I meant LA and SF. Even in the South if you live right in ATL or Miami you'll face serious saturation. I understand wanting to live in the city while you're young (I'm moving to NYC after all) but once you're older and/or married with kids I don't understand the necessity.

And lol at the rat race that is New York City dentistry. No. Thank. You.

Yep. I'm sure you've seen the way in the boroughs (since Brooklyn is the new center of everything cosmopolitan), people buy co-ops in apartment buildings and build dental offices in there. People have to get there super early to give themselves enough time to circle the block 20 times to look for a parking spot, including the dentist.
Not. Happening.

Yep. I'm sure you've seen the way in the boroughs (since Brooklyn is the new center of everything cosmopolitan), people buy co-ops in apartment buildings and build dental offices in there. People have to get there super early to give themselves enough time to circle the block 20 times to look for a parking spot, including the dentist.
Not. Happening.

Oh I was talking about the insane rents, insane competition, insane patient population, and insane overhead. Not to mention the insane egos of most nyc dentists I have the distinct displeasure of knowing. Like ****. Let me help you off of your nyc dentist pedestal.

*hides out in suburbs and buys shooz*

Yet you're going to columbia, why not look at alternative cheaper cities like philly with Upenn and pittsburgh with Upitt.

I've lived in NYC, as well as many other cities across the country. I can tell you that I will NEVER live in the city, or the boroughs ever again. EVER.
City life exists outside of NYC. Traffic, nightlife, restaurants, anything you want. It's not all cows once you get outside a 30 mile radius of Times Square.

The suburbs of NY are expensive as well. If you want to be able to even be within/outside a 45-1 hour range of NYC and live in a nice area, it ain't cheap buddy Westchester County NY , Connecticut, Long Island, Bergen County NJ, Hudson County NJ. You would have to live in a rural/suburb mix like Orange County, NY or something else. Times square lol, night life exists in Lower Manhattan like Lower east side, little italy, east village, etc.

Again, Like I said you people are entitled to your opinions, I am entitled to mine. To each his own, different perspective, depends on the eye of the beholder etc.

Yet you're going to columbia, why not look at alternative cheaper cities like philly with Upenn and pittsburgh with Upitt.

The suburbs of NY are expensive as well. If you want to be able to even be within/outside a 45-1 hour range of NYC and live in a nice area, it ain't cheap buddy Westchester County NY , Connecticut, Long Island, Bergen County NJ, Hudson County NJ. You would have to live in a rural/suburb mix like Orange County, NY or something else. Times square lol, night life exists in Lower Manhattan like Lower east side, little italy, east village, etc.

Again, Like I said you people are entitled to your opinions, I am entitled to mine. To each his own, different perspective, depends on the eye of the beholder etc.
he had a nice scholarship

Only affordable borough would be staten island but that worse than living in the suburbs of jersey. $16 toll to get in the city, don't know why its even considered part of NYC tbh just a place that has the title of being apart of NYC.

he had a nice scholarship

No I understand that but if NYC is so expensive and you don't want to be here, go to a cheaper alternative. Upenn is just as good of a school so why not go to a cheaper more suburb like city compared to NYC.

Not. Happening.

Or take the subway, or learn to skateboard and buy a boosted board. If you break your teeth enough then we don't have to worry about the saturation of dentistry in the city anymore lol (BTW this was a joke ppl don't take it seriously).

No I understand that but if NYC is so expensive and you don't want to be here, go to a cheaper alternative. Upenn is just as good of a school so why not go to a cheaper more suburb like city compared to NYC.

UPenn's tuition is way more expensive.

Also Philly is not a cheap city. Pittsburgh is.

Speaking of scholarships does any one know the range of Columbia scholarships? I can take find any info once that haha

prepare to LOL

Hahahaha!! You were right!
I think I would've stood right in front of them and watched the whole thing unfold while eating an overpriced, locally sourced and sustainable hot dog and in an obnoxiously loud voice ordered a pound of ground chuck during that awkward moment of silence.

The Big City vs. Flyover America: Who would you rather have as a neighbor?

Big Hoss

that's why suburbs are best. A decent balance of some diversity, no extreme liberals who want America to become Sweden and no extreme deep south people who still believe in the confederacy and afraid of anyone who isn't white.

Reactions: 3 users
The Big City vs. Flyover America: Who would you rather have as a neighbor?

Big Hoss

I must be the only guy from LA who actually listens to Luke Bryan and secretly hates the gluten free, everything causes cancer, Prius is the best luxury car, and use baking soda for toothpaste hippies LOL

Which is one of the many reasons why I declined USC and decided to move to the Upper Midwest

Honestly every single professional I talk to seems to have the grass is greener mentality when it comes to their profession. Every doctor I talk to complains about the debt they took on and only paying it off in their 50s, the years of interest that accumulated on their loans during residency, insurance not reimbursing them properly, being forced to see 20 patients a day by their hospital, being on call, night shifts. Every dentist I talk to says most of the the same thing that you said, although I haven't heard about saturation as an issue at all from the three I shadowed. Every pharmacist I talk to talks about how they regret pharmacy because of again insurance making their job difficult, being treated badly by doctors and patients, being treated badly by chain stores, saturation. Every investment banker I talk to says they have no job security, they are forced to work ridiculous hours (my IB friend works 6am to 9pm 7 days a week but makes 180k right out of college), that their co workers act like they are from wolf of wall street. Every computer engineer I talk to says their jobs are all being outsourced, they have to work long hours, they have to deal with age discrimination once they hit 40, once their technology gets outdated they will be replaced with a college grad. Every engineer I talk to says its a saturated field, no job security, teachers talk about low pay, difficulty finding a job, too much work outside of work hours...etc you get the idea. Honestly the idea that I got from taking 2 years to explore every career option was that there is no such thing as easy money. Everyone wants to make make over six figures but they don't realize in order to do that you are going to have to sacrifice a lot not just training but during your career itself no matter what career you go to...its hardly ever worth it for the money alone. My grandpa used to always say the only worthwhile way to get rich is to invent something, and I personally find some truth to that. As a non trad who explored many career options before deciding on dentistry, including working in industry for a while, I find there is truth to that. Follow your interests and strengths and pick a career that fits you.

Every career has its cons, but i'm pretty sure most people applying to dentistry will quickly figure out what those cons are and are drawn to the field for other reasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Honestly every single professional I talk to seems to have the grass is greener mentality when it comes to their profession. Every doctor I talk to complains about the debt they took on and only paying it off in their 50s, the years of interest that accumulated on their loans during residency, insurance not reimbursing them properly, being forced to see 20 patients a day by their hospital, being on call, night shifts. Every dentist I talk to says most of the the same thing that you said, although I haven't heard about saturation as an issue at all from the three I shadowed. Every pharmacist I talk to talks about how they regret pharmacy because of again insurance making their job difficult, being treated badly by doctors and patients, being treated badly by chain stores, saturation. Every investment banker I talk to says they have no job security, they are forced to work ridiculous hours (my IB friend works 6am to 9pm 7 days a week but makes 180k right out of college), that their co workers act like they are from wolf of wall street. Every computer engineer I talk to says their jobs are all being outsourced, they have to work long hours, they have to deal with age discrimination once they hit 40, once their technology gets outdated they will be replaced with a college grad. Every engineer I talk to says its a saturated field, no job security, teachers talk about low pay, difficulty finding a job, too much work outside of work hours...etc you get the idea. Honestly the idea that I got from taking 2 years to explore every career option was that there is no such thing as easy money. Everyone wants to make make over six figures but they don't realize in order to do that you are going to have to sacrifice a lot not just training but during your career itself no matter what career you go to...its hardly ever worth it for the money alone. My grandpa used to always say the only worthwhile way to get rich is to invent something, and I personally find some truth to that. As a non trad who explored many career options before deciding on dentistry, including working in industry for a while, I find there is truth to that. Follow your interests and strengths and pick a career that fits you.

Every career has its cons, but i'm pretty sure most people applying to dentistry will quickly figure out what those cons are and are drawn to the field for other reasons.
You're the real MVP of this thread. Great Response!

Reactions: 2 users

Every career has its cons, but i'm pretty sure most people applying to dentistry will quickly figure out what those cons are and are drawn
to the field for other reasons.

*slowly claps and tears run down eyes* :claps:

So - I'd like to begin by first saying that this is a throwaway, because I don't really feel like having any of you discover who I am - (never underestimate the power of the internet. Dentistry is a very “front” facing profession. Your mug will be plastered on the website of whatever office you decide to work at.) Because of this, I will try to keep personal details to a min.

What has compelled me to go back to SDN, and write what appears to be a memoir? I’m fed up with the field, and everything it stands for. My brother is EM physician (just finished his residency a few years back), and I am pretty sure I'm able to see both sides.

So, young‘uns - 1st - SDN has a reputation for being all doom and gloom. A “sky is falling mentality” I guess. Can’t say I chuckled when I first started going through threads several years back during dental school. But now as a graduate, and practicing dentist… its funny how things work out. The field is saturated, and due to market forces we, as dentists can’t really control, it is definitely headed in a downwards trajectory. Don’t say I didn’t warn you guys.

I graduated roughly 5 years ago. I came out with several hundred thousand dollars of debt. I didn’t think too much about paying them off - I figured I’d just start associating and the rest would take care of itself.

I’m making good progress on it - but my issues with dentistry lie not so much with the debt (although thats a huge part - especially nowadays. Other people have covered this - so I’m not going to delve into it too much), but other issues with the field most people wouldn’t think about if they were applying today.

1) SATURATION. I kid you not - Dentistry is headed towards a zero sum race to the bottom.
There really are too many dentists. Straight up - the field is headed the way of pharmacy. Dental chains are buying out every retiring dentist, and squeezing out completion. On the surface - you’re like “oh - well the ADA says that we’re facing a shortage of dentists! They NEED me!” No. Stop. If you actually think this, go back and apply to medical school, where residency spots are tied to funding, and can’t be multiplied 2x at a whim. I have friends who graduated in my class who are still stuck with 90k associating gigs.​

I firmly believe that the issue is mainly because 1) Too many grads with too many loans are flooding the marketplace, and more importantly - 2) Older dentists ARE NOT RETIRING. This is HUGE. If you go back to 2001-2002, people were saying that dentistry would be facing a shortage, that there wouldn’t be enough docs to make sure little Timmy’s tooth decay wouldn’t go unchecked.​

The reason why dentistry has been so hot recently? Well, articles like this: http://money.usnews.com/money/careers/slideshows/the-25-best-jobs-of-2015/2 and others in Business Insider, CNN, etc. I feel, are pushing a lot of people into the field who ordinarily wouldn’t have bothered looking at it.​

The numbers of dentists needed today per 100,000 people are less than what was needed two decades ago. Dentists today are more efficient, have broader training, and are capable of doing more (no more referring everything out - new docs are now doing extractions, Invisalign, you name it). But older docs aren’t retiring. What happens is a “semi-retirement” where the doc comes in 1 day a week, still owns the office, etc, and the poor associate is only making ~90k a year (60k after taxes, and 30k after repaying loans. I’m not kidding). This all resulted in a huge increase in the # of dentists, especially after the financial crisis. According to a recent ADA survey - 1/3 of dentists AREN’T busy enough! This is huge! In addition, the number of dentists has continued to go up EACH year, after the ADA said there was a shortage back in ~2005

2) The debt isn’t quite worth it anymore. I graduated 5 years back, and I thought my debt was a lot. For everyone intending to go 300-500k in debt, you realize thats 30k+ in interest every year? Paying pack 4k a month out of every paycheck? For what its worth - you’re making ~90k when you start. The way the field is now, a GPR is basically essential. You realize you’re in school ONLY 2 years less than an EM physician? And they get paid ~330k when they start working. 2 extra years, and you quadruple your salary? I firmly believe anyone who is in dental school could easily have gone to med school, even if you need to do a postbacc - it’s within range. Strictly financially, Medicine has FAR more to offer.

3) You feel like a used car salesman with all the competition.

If you’re an introverted person, or are not comfortable “coaxing” people to accept procedures they might not otherwise, drop out of the field right now. This isn’t even corporate - its you trying to keep your office afloat/trying to pay your student loans. Yes, that patient 50/50 could have a crown or no, but if YOU don’t do it, another dentist down the street IS going to do it, and pocket the $2000 themselves.

Back in the day (think 80’s) if a tooth didn’t hurt/bug the patient, the dentist left it alone. Nowadays, with every one and their mom is trying to sell each patient a full mouth reconstruction (as well as offering massages and other bull**** remedies) is it no wonder people don’t take dentists seriously? No joke, the office down the street from me is a “Dental Spa” that offers a full range a skin rejuvenations, massages, and other girly/try-hard stuff I’ll have to ask my wife about because I don’t know what any of it is

4) Backbreaking work. No joke it’s only been five years, and my lower back is killing me very day. My hands hurt, and my shoulders feel like they're made of stone. Add in the fact I'm looking at mouths all day - the novelty has worn off.

5) The job itself leaves much to be desired. You clean/fix teeth. Thats it. You don’t do complex jaw surgeries (no, Mr. Oral Surgeon - you don’t. You pull 3rds all day in private practice pretending you're a doctor) and you definitely don’t do anything reconstructive asides from teeth. You’re a glorified tooth mechanic. Now don’t get me wrong - I love what I do - but there are other things that now, after several years of practice, I feel like I would also derive pleasure from doing.

6) Insurance companies will f****** gut you and leave you to die on the street. Reimbursements are going down . You might ask — “why does this affect me? I’m going to run a FFS practice!” It affects you because FFS is only viable in certain areas - Anywhere from 0% (lol you wish) to 80% of your payer mix will be PPO. Delta Dental is the bane of my existence and basically a monopoly in several places - they provide dental insurance coverage for 1/3 of the adults in the United States. This monopoly is FEDERALLY protected - meaning there’s no competition for dental benefits/price. The McCarran–Ferguson Act (Would Repealing the 1945 Antitrust Exemption for Health Insurance Companies Lower Premiums? - DEBATED - Obamacare - ProCon.org) basically allows this. I can’t drop them because 40% of my patients have their insurance, and last year when they decided to cut fees in my area by 5%, I got screwed to the tune of 70-80k in lost income. This leads me to my next point…

7) Dentistry is influenced by market trends/the squeezing of the middle class. The middle class is getting squeezed. Now this definitely affects you, because 20+ years ago, many, many more jobs were unionized, more people had dental insurance, and more people took the time to see the dentist. Average family income (adjusted for inflation) hasn’t risen in a decade! Things like raising the minimum wage, for example, will actually HELP dentists because it makes the average person more likely to afford/see a dentist. But the way it is now, the average family is poorer than they were 10 years ago, and this translates to less than 50% of us adults actually having dental insurance and an even smaller amount using it.

8) Other minor things - such as running an office, insurance write-offs, dealing with people in general, and lack of respect among EVERYONE (the latter being a pretty small issue, as least for me - but I know how neurotic everyone is on SDN, so this might be something to keep in mind)​

Now - all this might seems sort of convoluted. I’m typing this right now after a particularly frustering day at my office. I can see how this profession might have worked a decade or two ago. But I swear to god - I’m not sure if the next 10 years are going to be very much fun for anyone. I have zero bargaining power with insurance companies. Incomes have stagnated - and as a new dentist, you can expect maybe 90k-120k or so - and you’ll be stuck at that level for 2-5+ years. The real kicker is the saturation though. All the rest, most people can deal with. But when 4+ offices go bankrupt in my suburb every year - I’m starting to realize that the field is cracking. Incomes are slowly decreasing - I expect within 5 years or so average starting salary for an associate will be in the 80-100k range (it already is in a lot of places)

For all the people who think I’m some sort of SDN troll - heres a QA section for ya:

Q. You sound mad - well, I’ll have you know- I’m going to be a super dentist! I’ll be the one to buck trends and pay off my 400k loans in 5 years! Just watch me!

A. Ok, Jimmy, good luck. With 400k in loans, no bank is going to loan you money to even purchase a practice. You’ll be making 90k for the next 7 years. You can moonlight as a doctor while in residency and make more than that

Q. Why did you even go into Dentistry if you hate it?

A. I still like dentistry - it’s just that the field is dying, or at least, headed towards a huge “market correction” and I can see it clearly from my vantage point. I feel like a pharmacist circa 2000 making 120k, and life was good. Fast forward 10 years…

Q. Where are you pulling that figure from - 90k as a starting salary of a dentist? Every survey I see says 140k.

A. Those salary surveys are compounded over years and years - meaning they still have data from 2005 when associates used to be paid $500+ a day and 35%+ of production. That doesn’t exist anymore. Today, you can expect to make 90k to 120k if you want to live anywhere within 100 miles of a major city. And if you say that you won’t - you’re lying. This is EVERYONE. Don’t lie to yourself and say you want to live in an oilfield in North Dakota. You guys are what - 19-20 years old in the forum? Do you guys understand that at 27/28/29, when you graduate/finish your residency, you’ll be thinking of getting married. Getting settled down, having a wife and kids - and trust me, your wife won’t want to wake up and chase moose off your property.

Q. Where do you see dentistry in 10 years?

A. At the same level as pharmacists, job opportunity wise. Salaries will continue to drop, and the dentist/population ratio will skyrocket leading to declining income (Hell, my income dropped ~30k as an owner the past two years.) If there isn’t a dentist in every Walmart by then, well color me surprised (KIDDING - most will probably be in strip malls, to be honest). Loans will render most graduates unable to purchase practices because they’ll be owned by chains, and most dentists will just be employees making peanuts for their education (look at pharmacy - the other field that doesn't have mandatory residencies/where it's easy to open up a school)

Q. You mentioned your brother was an EM physician. Is how does he view things in the healthcare field right now?

A. First and foremost, I should state my brother doesn't give a f*** about dentists. As in - while Dentists (even the predents in this forum) have this insecurity complex about not being "real doctors", the number of times "dentist" crosses my brothers mind is laughably small. When was the last time you thought about an optometrist? When you needed new glasses 3 years back, otherwise you forget they exist. Thats how 90% of people view dentists

Now for the meat. My brother makes (slightly adjusted) around 320k gross income right now. His first contract out of fellowship was for around 275k. I make around 160k as an owner. 2 years back, I was at 190k, but Delta Dental decided to cut my reimbursement, and now I'm working twice as hard to woo patients to get their teeth taken care of so they don't show up in front of my brother in the ER because of an abscess. I don't give massages or have a spa at my practice, so another few points docked for me.

Physicians like to moan and groan about how the government is out to get them, their pay will be docked, etc. But the fact is - it's not going to happen - at least anytime. The AMA is extremely powerful, and there are well over 1 million physicians in the United States. Supply and Demand doesn't even play a role, because the number of residency spots is governed by government funding levels (which hasn't risen in a decade), and thanks to political gridlock, probably wont rise for the 20 years.

Dentists - all you need is a new school, and suddenly over a 10 year period, you have 1500 new dentists in one geographical area.... all trying to sell you a massage along with your prophy...

My final word to you all? Do anything else. Trust me. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Signed,

-A Current Dentist

PS. I'm posting this here because I realize many of you are too young and don't/are unable to frequent DentalTown. I'm simply keeping guys in the loop. I would have appreciated it if someone did for me back in the day when I was applying - I'm just passing it forward.

I shadowed a dentist for 4 days and he did one extraction. He mostly did ortho, root canals, dentures. He's always pushing the limits: he'll start doing implants and is getting certified for Invisalign (he does have some certification in ortho but is not specialized). What you said about not being able to do surgery...wrong. you're certified to do anything. If you push yourself to do something you can do it. The dentist said if you're not bringin 150,000-300,000 every year then you don't work hard enough.
Like many people said it's not what it used to be but people that strive for more will always have patients.

I shadowed a dentist for 4 days and he did one extraction. He mostly did ortho, root canals, dentures. He's always pushing the limits: he'll start doing implants and is getting certified for Invisalign (he does have some certification in ortho but is not specialized). What you said about not being able to do surgery...wrong. you're certified to do anything. If you push yourself to do something you can do it. The dentist said if you're not bringin 150,000-300,000 every year then you don't work hard enough.
Like many people said it's not what it used to be but people that strive for more will always have patients.

Being certified to do something and actually doing it (and accepting the liability) are 2 different things...while I don't disagree with your sentiments towards striving to get more patients, there is a finite # of patients, so many dentists will be **** out of luck...best gig is to go into your parents established private practice (that's the deal where I'm getting my Invisalign)

I'm going to Columbia for dental school. I have no plans on practicing in New York after school.

I know this is an old thread.....but I will give my .02.
I totally agree with what the OP stated. It is saturated.....holy cow...it's saturated.
I've been practicing since 2009. I worked as an associate at two private practices....and a community health clinic. Daily rate was 500-525.00 a day back in 2010.
I hated dentistry. Hated dentistry. I did complain about the saturation level....but then something happen. Apply for a gig at a local hospital. Got the the job in 2010...
I am now working at local hospital as a staff dentist. (People should look into local,state,and federal hospital). Every large hospital, there is usually a dental dept.. i.e. Cedar Sinai, USC,UCLA..UTexas San Antonio...yada..yada..
Fast Forward 7 years...stilll at the hospital. My passion for dentistry is back at all time high. Love the profession...love the lifestyle.
I work 32-38 hours a week =D;);););) NO AFTERHOUR CALLs.

Here is what I am making: 185k a year salary. (not gonna be rich..increases every a couple of years)...loan forgiveness (yup my student of 350k will be wiped out in 3 years)..full benefits matching 401k,health,life,paid vacation 30 days, 14 sick, partial CE ..yada..yada... So my total compensation package is worth a little over 250K a year. I would need to find associate job that is willing to pay me 250k to break even.

Yes, I could still moonlight and make more a year...but I am happy with 185K as a salary employee =D. No stress of owning a business.

To recap, market is still saturated. I have classmates that are still struggling to make 140k a year...working at those chain dental places in California.
If I didnt land this awesome gig, i would have consider specializing, moving to the boonies, or going into a different field (starting a strip club...:heckyeah:) all together.
The city that I am in right now, there are some dentist that are still struggling (we talk about it at our local dental society meeting)....

If I had to do it again, would I pick dentistry? Maybe.

I am hope this will benefit someone. Out of dental school.....unless you have connections....it's gonna be rough. REAL ROUGH. You're competing with too many applicants in large metro area for jobs.......Dont let it discourage you. Be flexible. Look into community clinics and local.state.federal hospital.

Cheers:=|:-):
But havent you been paying the minimum monthly payment for 10 yrs? If so, you did chop away at that 350k a before the remainder was forgiven, no? Are you working in CA?

I would like to know what people in the field currently feel about the state of dentistry in 2019/2020. It's been around 5 years since this post and is the assumptions made by OP a reality today?

Just go to a your instate dental school and you won't have to worry about predicting the supply of dentists.

It sounds like OP is having a serious case of "my brother makes more, why can't I?"

I've worked in the ER for 3 years and trust me... 7/10 ER physicians would rather have the relaxing life of a dentist over the stress of an ER lifestyle any day. The other 3/10 haven't been burnt out 5 years in yet or only work PRN.

I agree that dentistry is saturated to a point but most likely will not be as bad as pharmacy because most pharmacists don't own their own practice so they depend on Walgreens, CVS, and Walmarts to open. The day I see a dental office in a Walmart, I'll let you know.
Well **** lol 4 years later... dental clinics in Walmart :shrug:

Reactions: 7 users